Vibrations issues - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Fabz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Vibrations issues

So I've been dd on the RE 2.5in lift since may and I hadn't had a problem or noticed any vibration issues until about a week ago. I'm now getting pretty bad vibrations around 10-12 mph and if I let off the gas they seem to increase. I've noticed that they do continue all the way through about 55 mph but only at a slight level, at around 25-30 where I shift out of third they sometimes escalate a bit, but never anything too bad just more noticeable. My thoughts are I've probably worn whatever component was stressed from the driveline angles, but does it make sense for it to show up like that out of nowhere? TBH I don't remember much of a difference when I installed the lift and had read sometimes you can run the T-case drop with out the SYE, so I put that off. Could it be something like u-joints or is it more possible that either T-case or pinion bearings are done? Or could it be something else, I haven't had much time to mess with it, so it's parked.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191108_095139.jpg  

Last edited by Fabz; 11-08-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 10:03 AM
jkbrereton

Looks like the u-joint angles on either end of the driveshaft are not equal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Fabz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As in the pinion angle is too low?

post #4 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 10:22 AM
jkbrereton

Well, yes. Your pinion angles don't appear to be equal.

post #5 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 10:23 AM
jkbrereton

But it's hard to tell from the photo. I'd measure them though because it sounds like that is the culprit

post #6 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

With the pic properly oriented, it does appear that there should be more down angle at the pinion. It's common to set angles so the pinion sits a degree lower to compensate for the pinion torqing upward on acceleration.
Attached Thumbnails
YJ shaft.jpg  
Boojo35 likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Fabz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so I went out to home depot and found a level, I'm not sure if I'm measuring from the right spots or why the pics upload in different orientations, this is what I got the drive shaft I think is at 23/24, the rear pinion is at 12/13, and the T-case yoke is at around 8/9. if i measure the rear from the line on the D35 housing i get around 15/16, but i think the pic i included is more of an accurate representation. When I was installing the kit, the shims it came with were i believe 2 degree, i don't remember but i installed them so that they would raise the pinion was i wrong in doing that? should i remove them and see if that helps out? another question i have is why did it take this long to give me vibrations?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191108_162844.jpg   IMG_20191108_163048.jpg   IMG_20191108_162934.jpg  
post #8 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I agree that your pinion angle does not look correct.

Correcting it however may cause more negative effects by worsening your u-joint working angles. U-joints have a limit to where they are effective. You possibly need a T-case drop or SYE to have realiability.

Because you driven it for a while with no issues and now have an issue I suspect that you simply have a worn u-joint, mounting strap, etc, causing your issue. They really cannot be checked reliably with the tires on the ground. Jack the Jeep up, and hold the yoke and twist the driveshaft at each end and vice versa. Also push up and down so to speak at each u joint to see if there is sideplay in them. Check for mounting strap to cap looseness etc.

Your pinion angle in the end does not look right and can wear out U-joints quickly. I am guessing that you have a loose U-joint as an immediate failure but your root cause is your driveline angles and needing at least a t-case drop as a band aid but a SYE in the end as a best case scenario.

Our jeeps in even stock form have the shortest driveshaft ever and the angles are atrocious. It is really hard to believe that stock ones live let alone lifted stuff.
paulhead likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You will get a more accurate measurement if you removed the driveshaft and measured across the machined surfaces of the yokes.
post #10 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Fabz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I do have the t-case drop that came with the kit installed, it's a 1" I believe, so yea I guess I need to begin saving for the SYE and aftermarket driveshaft.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 32 Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Fabz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I have time tomorrow I'll check the u-joints, that was the first thing I had assumed but I wanted to check here for trouble shooting advice first. Thanks guys

post #12 of 32 Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you want a minor upgrade project that will pay dividends going forward on the cheap. . . a 1" motor mount lift will help you with those angles if you do not have the dough for an SYE just yet.

The great thing about a Motor Mount Lift is it will raise the oil pan a bit, downward slope the tcase output a bit more to get you within better tolerances, would only take very minimal effort and $$$ and time and can be utilized going forward in your build.
paulhead likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 32 Old 11-09-2019, 01:00 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
You will get a more accurate measurement if you removed the driveshaft and measured across the machined surfaces of the yokes.
Good advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabz View Post
When I have time tomorrow I'll check the u-joints, that was the first thing I had assumed but I wanted to check here for trouble shooting advice first. Thanks guys Sent from my Pretzel3 using ToCrap~Italk
You want forward and rearward ujoint angles to be identical or close to.

When you jack it jack the axle and block the axle so the tires aren’t touching pavement. That’s what Boohoo meant. You want no vehicle load influencing your checking of things.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 32 Old 11-09-2019, 02:34 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Because you driven it for a while with no issues and now have an issue I suspect that you simply have a worn u-joint, mounting strap, etc, causing your issue.
I was gonna say it was weird the problem just came up, this may be the issue. I first bought my YJ with a 2.5" lift and t-case drop. No vibes. Took out the t-case drop, added a motor mount lift (wanted to raise the the skid) and still had no vibes. Didn't last long cause I got a SYE

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 32 Old 11-09-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Fabz
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So yea needle bearing went boom on the front u-joint. But I came across another problem, not sure how it happened, but I guess a bit of debris was on the cap as I pressed it out or there was a bur on the edge( see photos). On a scale of 1 to finance the SYE and shaft how likely is it for the retainer clip to be affected by this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in