Vibration in Steering Wheel (25-40mph) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

DS are simple 4 8 mm bolts on either end... done, they are just straps crawl under and look you will see it is easy peasy

even changing ujoints is easy, a big socket and a small one and a BFG will get the job done in short order.... leanr to do it yourself, jeeps are easy, and DIY will save you billions on jeeps, **** likethis can take forever to find and at 50-100 buck an hour at a shop to change 12 dollar ujoints is crazy

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_98tj View Post
Aidan,

I went through exactly the same process ("We twisted the rear drive shaft and found a "tiny bit of play" but both the mechanic and his supervisor called this perfectly acceptable") and it was only when we actually removed the DS that we saw just how shot it was. The fact that there was no vibration while driving around in FWD with no rear DS confirmed that the DS was the problem, even though it looked OK while installed.

Try removing the rear DS and test drive it running in FWD. No more vibration = time for a new rear DS.

Trust me, I feel your pain!

Good luck!

Joe

P.S. Re: "If I DON't figure this out, my wife's gonna blow the whistle on my spending. I'm starting to feel like the current administration!"--Come on man, just borrow a few hundred billion from China, or better yet just print some, it's just paper after all!! ; )
time for new ujoints maybe, unless you smack it on a rock or its bent there is 100% no need for a new DS....... they rarely become unbalanced, and are not hard to balance if they do...... so again if it ios not bent or dented leave it.

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #18 of 20 Old 03-11-2011, 02:04 PM
AidanMullen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well Joe,
After all this time, and a second transmission removal/teardown/ reinstall, and the second breaking of the exhaust flange by the transmission shop, the problem persisted until this afternoon, when I finally got around to pulling the rear DS. Runs as smooth as duck butter with it removed, so I've got new u joints in the back seat to go in tomorrow morning. I'll probably check it for balance before I reinstall. Just FYI everyone, 4, count 'em 4 professional mechanics told me it was all in my head!
Thanks!!

post #19 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM
AidanMullen
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So here is the latest: Put the driveshaft back in, and the problem was not nearly as bad.... for a while. Started getting worse again, so I re-removed the DS and took it to a top notch driveshaft shop in Nashville. One of the brand new Duralast lifetime U joints was a bit grindy, so they installed a new Spicer, put it on their machine, and told me I had a perfect driveshaft. They also told me the DS being 180 degrees out wouldn't make any difference. Put her back in and now the vibration is every bit as bad as it was. So, Transfer case or rear diff? Could wheel bearings be the issue? I've been able to find NO play when wiggling my wheels, although a previous inspection listed wheel bearings needed changing. I'm terrified I'll need to replace the TC or Rear Diff after spending so much money on the motor and trans. What's involved in swapping out the Dana 35 for a 44? I figure if i have to, it might be worth doing the upgrade?? This situation has me at the end of my rope!!
post #20 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
joe_98tj

That sucks! If it's not the DS or u-joints, I would check out the rear diff next. The fact that the problem went away with the DS removed makes me think that the issue is somewhere in the drivetrain past the t-case--diff, axles, hubs etc...

My understanding is that swapping a D44 into your YJ would involve some custom work (mounting hardware etc...), because they never put them in YJs from the factory, but I'm not sure how extensive it would be.

Good luck!

Tags
acceleration , shake , shaking , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in