vacuum disconnect locked for a DANA 30 the cheap way - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
dodger889

1989 YJ Wrangler 

vacuum disconnect locked for a DANA 30 the cheap way

This is a quick write up for those who would like to solve the problem with vacuum lines. This allows the axle to float as it should.
1) Remove the cover for the disconnect.
2) Remove E-clip see below

3) Slide shifting fork away from vacuum motor.

4) Reinstall the removed E-clip as shown above.

5)Now slide the locking gear toward the driver side unto the locked position.

6) Reinstall cover making sure that you do not move the locking gear.

With this no more wondering if weather or not that you front axle is locked or not. Now you have to have your front drive shaft balanced . If you have a vibration from the front drive shaft. Most shop will do that for under forty. And this can done in about a 1/2 hour wroth of time.

This was added: The factory did not balanced the front drive shaft. Sorry did not state the reason for balancing the drive shafts.

A 89 yj with a 4.0 aw4 sye out of an 92xj. Now the hard part is done time to get it up in the air just a bit. Working on 8.8 with 3.73 and lsd for the rear. and new D30 hp with 3.73 .
For those who have not figured this out I'm old school but can handle the new too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.

Last edited by dodger889; 05-31-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
hulkgreen
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up !! Just curious .... why rebalance the drive shaft ??? Why would this mod cause the drive shaft to be off on balance ???

Just finished converting my YJ to a TURBO DIESEL ..... want to see how .......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or check out my BUILD THREAD ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
schecterguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From what I understand, YJ's did not come with a balanced front drive shaft because of the vaccuum assembly.

My 4.0/8.8/spring over build:

post #4 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
dodger889

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkgreen View Post
Great write up !! Just curious .... why rebalance the drive shaft ??? Why would this mod cause the drive shaft to be off on balance ???
before this mod your drive shaft is not turning or very little. And they did not balanced them from the factory.

A 89 yj with a 4.0 aw4 sye out of an 92xj. Now the hard part is done time to get it up in the air just a bit. Working on 8.8 with 3.73 and lsd for the rear. and new D30 hp with 3.73 .
For those who have not figured this out I'm old school but can handle the new too.
Quote:
post #5 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 PM
jeepsurf

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet write up.

jeepsurf endorses this post. Most of the time

1990 2.5 YJ / 1997 2.5 TJ

USAF VET

My YJ build thread
Nightcrew alive and well, now on VB 4.0
Food mailed 3ooo miles
post #6 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
LeeTheDestroyer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Great writeup by the way.

mine looks like that right now only with a bead welded on around the collar on the right hand side....too close to an axle swap to go buy a new actuator.

92 yj, 4" rough country suspension lift, 33's, custom discos, skull shifter knob....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
The dana 35 was a cruel joke, perpetuated by the man, to keep a jeeper down.
Yj- when the speed limit is no longer a restriction, but rather a challenge ready to be conquered every time.
post #7 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
dodger889

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeTheDestroyer View Post
Great writeup by the way.

mine looks like that right now only with a bead welded on around the collar on the right hand side....too close to an axle swap to go buy a new actuator.
Did you do it or someone else? Man I hope you are replacing the whole axle not just the axle shafts. With the gear welded I think it would be hard to get it out.

Quote:
post #8 of 51 Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 PM
SFT2

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well I know what I'm doing next weekend.
post #9 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 AM
rykerjenbob
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did this originally and my front driveshaft was definitely not balanced, shook like crazy once I got to 50mph. So like the first post said you will need to spend the money to have it balanced. I ended up putting in a posi-lok.
post #10 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
jeepbub08

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What I did was just take the whole fork assembly/housing out and flip it over and reinstall it. does the same thing, and I don't have to worry about losing those darn clips.(it happens to me a lot). But either way, its nice to have options. good write up bud

Jeeps are crack. But they are the best legal drug there is to spend money on.

Eastern NC Jeep Owners #8
post #11 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a vaccum line to plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana
don't post threads that poke Poke!
post #12 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM
jeepbub08

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are going to "hardwire it" so to speak, I owuld just plug the vacuum lines just as a piece of mind. I know I did when i did it to mine.

post #13 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
ernaldamerican
1992 YJ Wrangler 

may be a stupid question but trying to understand the operation, at the end of the day by eliminating just the one eclip (e clip on the side of the fork nearest the locking collar), and if you left your vacumm line conected the diaphragm would move the shaft to the right (thinking it was moving the collar to the unlocked position) but the fork / collar would stay put (in the 4 wheel drive or locked position) becuase the clip is removed. basically the diaphragm /shaft would move back and forth is vacumm was still connected but collar and fork would saty put?

Thanks
post #14 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
jeepbub08

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've never done it, but I think I see what you are saying. I don't know if I would put a strain on the clip if at all possible. I know it is a super high torque application but I'm sure after awhile it could fail. I hope that helps?

post #15 of 51 Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
LeeTheDestroyer
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Did you do it or someone else? Man I hope you are replacing the whole axle not just the axle shafts. With the gear welded I think it would be hard to get it out.
yeah, im throwing in a dana 44 that i have sitting in the garage, that axle is gettin scrapped

92 yj, 4" rough country suspension lift, 33's, custom discos, skull shifter knob....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
The dana 35 was a cruel joke, perpetuated by the man, to keep a jeeper down.
Yj- when the speed limit is no longer a restriction, but rather a challenge ready to be conquered every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in