Underhood Light Problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Robort

Underhood Light Problem

I put a bulb in my underhood light socket and it works how do you turn it off (stays on with hood closed) 1995 yj

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

it should shut off automatically... as i believe there is something that acts as a 'gravity switch' of sorts.

try some non abrasive sensor cleaner in there and try prodding at the components a bit.

EDIT: wait, were you using it normally recently or was the bulb missing for a while and you finally just decided to add a bulb? if the latter, some corosion may have built up and i'd just mildly clean it and prod into it. Perhaps a new fixture is in order.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Robort

i put a piece of copper inside the socket to make it work i bet it had a ball bearing that rolled back and forth

post #4 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Robort

yup thats it put a slingshot ball inside it and it worked thanks
post #5 of 12 Old 08-13-2019, 07:50 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup. No problem.

Glad you sorted it. I should probably hook mine back up. What bulb part # did you find? And is it off the shelf at a local auto store?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Yup. No problem.

Glad you sorted it. I should probably hook mine back up. What bulb part # did you find? And is it off the shelf at a local auto store?
I can tell you its not an 1157 or 2157 lol I to am curious as to what bulb fits it.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 AM
mudbug85603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robort View Post
Yup, that's it I put a slingshot ball inside it and it worked thanks
So it just rolls around in there? What happens when it's parked on an uphill grade? Does the light stay on? rough road does the light constantly go on and off? It seems like a bad design... I would think a plunger switch like what the doors use for courtesy lights would be a better idea. Neither of my Jeeps have a hood light, I carry a flashlight for that and many other reasons.

'98 TJ 5sp Super 35 D30 w/Aussie 5.13 on 33's
'94 YJ 5sp 4.88 Super 35/HP30 w/Aussie on 33's
post #8 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robort View Post
Yup, that's it I put a slingshot ball inside it and it worked thanks
So it just rolls around in there? What happens when it's parked on an uphill grade? Does the light stay on? rough road does the light constantly go on and off? It seems like a bad design... I would think a plunger switch like what the doors use for courtesy lights would be a better idea. Neither of my Jeeps have a hood light, I carry a flashlight for that and many other reasons.
Agreed

Now you got the hamsters in my head running. Hmmm.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #9 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Agreed

Now you got the hamsters in my head running. Hmmm.
I always thought they were a mecury switch kinda like a thermostat. I think I am gonna put some LED's under there in various places so a flashlight wont be needed and all areas will be lit in the dark. I also think I will just hook them up to an outdoor rated toggle switch mounted by the battery. Then they are only on when I need them and not draining the battery if I pop the hood during the day or if I want the hood open at night for some reason but dont need the light.

The stock light seems like it would be pretty useless even if it did work anyway

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 09:18 AM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
They are gravity for sure but I dont remember exactly how they did it. How they are bent on the bracket affects their operation though. We used to bend them down in GM cars to shut the hood light off while we worked on them.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My bulb burned out years ago and I did not replace it but, It seems to me that the under hood light was controlled by the dash light/ interior light dimmer switch.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Robort

I got an old bulb off my neighbour. single filament and the bumps on the side are the same distance from the end of the bulb not offset like a dual filament bulb. You would have to be parked on a pretty good hill to roll the ball up to make contact. the switch is tilted down a fair amount. If the light goes on and off on a bumpy road it will give a cool lightning affect at night and im ok with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in