Under dash wiring connector - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Under dash wiring connector

In my other thread, about dogs and squirrels I was having trouble with a few electrical things. Well, I was under the dash, and found all the old alarm system stuff that was put in there, shortly after we bought the Jeep in 1992. I realized they had a connection device that went between the two stock connectors and other splices and junk under there. I pulled it all out, trying to make sure I removed stuff that did not look stock.

I have this connector that I was going to plug back together, now that the third party junk was gone, but I see that there is one less wire on one plug than the other side.

You can see there are 4 wires on the right side of each plug and three on the left side of the top plug, but only two on the left side bottom plug. I'm checking out the service manual to see if the missing wire was not there , since day one, or if the alarm guys removed it and used it. If anyone is familiar with this plug, and knows a thing or two, let me know. The manual has the full wire diagrams, but the page with the flashers don't show the connector clearly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The original alarm systems for the Jeep were part of the windshield wiper relay. You can unplug the alarm wires from the box, but if you want to keep your intermittent wipers you need to leave the other wires plugged into the box.
timatoe likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It was a third party alarm install. Our Jeep did not come with an alarm. Base model and soft top.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you mean THIS box ?

That was what was velcro'd to a sheet metal plate that the alarm guys put in.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

See my first reply.

They were a dealer-install option. I'm sure some aftermarket shops had access to them as well.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, that's where it's supposed to be. It's the wiper delay box, put it back where it was and plug both sides of that connector to it. If not you'll only have two wiper speeds and no delay.

Good thing to know is if your wipers ever just crap out all together, you can pull that box, reconnect the two plugs and likely at least get them working with no delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The sheet metal looked like a quick install and had a toggle switch sticking out of it.

If having it causes no harm, I'll put it back. I'm trying to trouble shoot why the wipers come on as soon as the key is on and will not shut off. The two speeds worked, but I'm not sure the intermittent part did. I have no turn signals either, and that's why I thought this old alarm might be the problem, since it was probably supposed to flash the lights when it went off.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Come to think of it, the alarm isn't contained in the wiper module, it just plugs into it. I think I finally removed my alarm box because I got tired of it falling on my feet.

Huh.

Okay, well the alarm box looks very similar to the wiper box, and has a connector that is very similar to the wiper box. Mine had blue and red wires twisted together.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 07:55 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quite possible the delay box is bad, best bet there is find a Cherokee in a Pick-n-Pull and pull it.

But..... I'd suspect the multi-function switch in the column base on both issues mentioned.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Timatoe,

I suspected the multi-function switch at first, but the wipers come on with the wires to the steering column unplugged.

Did the Cherokee have the same box as the Wrangler ? What years should I look for ?

To circle back to the beginning, can I just plug the wires together without the box to verify the issue is in the box ? Is there not supposed to be another wire, not shown in my pictures ? I don't see a plug for one in the slot, but the opposite plug HAS a wire there.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-06-2020, 06:22 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you can plug the connectors together. It will delete the wiper delay.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Timatoe,

I suspected the multi-function switch at first, but the wipers come on with the wires to the steering column unplugged.

Did the Cherokee have the same box as the Wrangler ? What years should I look for ?

To circle back to the beginning, can I just plug the wires together without the box to verify the issue is in the box ? Is there not supposed to be another wire, not shown in my pictures ? I don't see a plug for one in the slot, but the opposite plug HAS a wire there.
Yes the box is the same. Don't have a year range, but any of the square body Cherokees with that box under the dash...

Yes, the plugs will just go together and eliminate the box.

Quote:
post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Removing the box makes the wipers work properly , but with no intermittent function. So, I have a possible bad box. I still worry that too much rain and weather got in the Jeep and the stalk still could have an issue that removing the box bypasses. I'm going to try and find a box and find out. Now, I need to make the turn signals work. It seems like that would be simple. Power goes through blinker, goes through the wires to steering column, the lever moves one contact or the other in the circuit and the blinkers on that side blink. The Hazard switch can be in the mix, if it is activated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in