2Likes
  • 1 Post By KfoySTL
  • 1 Post By KfoySTL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
KfoySTL
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Turn Signal switch replacement

I'm partway through the replacement and thought I would post some progress of what I've learned so far.

#1--The brand of steering wheel puller they loan out at Advance Auto doesn't work (Powerbilt) because the yolks is too wide to fit between the two bolts that go into the wheel. The one from O'Reillys worked well.

#2--getting my wheel off was awful. Bent two bolts and ended up using a ton of PB and heat to eventually get it off. Not sure how the corrosion got in there, but it did. The heat screwed up the plastic piece that i think is the horn button , so I'll have to figure that one out later when I put it back together.

#3--once it is all apart, there is very little room in the steering column to fish the harness down to plug it in. All of the guys who have videos posted where able to do it, but I haven't gotten it through yet. I have a piece of wire that I pulled through with the old harness and I can pull it down partway but then it gets stuck.

Some people mention cutting all of the wires and splicing them back together and I saw someone talk about a tool that pulls the wires out of the plastic piece, but I don't know what that is--anyone know?

I'm going to try to find a little more room tomorrow and if that doesn't work do something more drastic. I've pulled the four bolts at the bottom of the column to see if that loosens things up and it didn't. Anyone have experience with this?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3106 2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 PM
cptmoney

I just had my column apart (didn't replace that exact switch but I wish I would have) and I didn't find it too difficult, honestly.

Did you drop the column down from the dash itself? There are two large nuts (or bolts, I can't recall) these will allow it to hang down while a bit. Additionally, I loosened the four bolts that keep things tight to the column (right where the steering column meets the dash). Then I used electrical tape to hold the electrical pin connection miss in line with the rest of the harness to make for easier pulling.

Is yours a tilt column? My was not - which may be the difference. I pulled my switch out to access goodies further into the steering column, then fished it back into place. Wasn't terrible. I did remove the thin plastic shield that hugs the lower half of the column, then popped it back on once the switch wiring was back where it belonged.

It was tricky, but I just took my time.

Someone else will come along here and tell you how it's really done. Lots of good help here.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Bedlam_YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have to replace my turn signal switch as well. The lever wont stay engaged for left turns, but does fine for right turns. I had already previously taken apart the column to replace the ignition switch and cleaned out some of the crud at the switch. Wish I had snapped photos while doing it. I'm fairly certain the shroud on the column comes off. If I get to it before you finish, I'll grab some photos.

Also, it's worth mentioning that working on the column is infinitely easier if you remove the column from the vehicle.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 AM
cptmoney

Is your column a tilt column?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
KfoySTL
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmoney View Post
Is your column a tilt column?
It is a tilt column. I took out the two bolts that go up into the dash and when those were out, along with the four that go into the column and was able to move the steering shaft and the plastic wire sleeve. Once that I was done I got it all put in and back together.

The horn isn't working though. Gotta take it back apart and figure that one out....
post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
KfoySTL
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update--horn works now. It was all put together correctly, but a little corrosion on the flange made for a bad connection. Cleaned it up and aligned to a shiny spot and all is well.
cptmoney likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 10:55 AM
cptmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KfoySTL View Post
Update--horn works now. It was all put together correctly, but a little corrosion on the flange made for a bad connection. Cleaned it up and aligned to a shiny spot and all is well.
Right on! EXCELLENT WORK!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 AM
bharris68
Gravel Truck Pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical Pin removal tools on https://www.amazon.com/s?k=electrica...b_sb_ss_i_1_15

a couple of styles:

Keyring style:
https://www.amazon.com/kweiny-Termin...s%2C211&sr=8-8

Case style - https://www.amazon.com/AFA-Tooling-T...s%2C211&sr=8-4

Being able to remove a single pin is very helpful. Over the Xmas holiday, I did some wiring work into small connectors, when I botched it, I was able to use small picks to remove the connector pin from the plastic housing and save myself time and hassle. For actual automotive work, I'd order something like the above.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
KfoySTL
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the replies. The tools will probably come in handy when I take on the stereo next. That looks like quite a rat's nest under the dash....
bharris68 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 AM
bharris68
Gravel Truck Pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the stereo ProTip - find the removal tools specific for that make/model and have them handy. This saves a LOT of time and reduces the potential for damage. Yes, I've removed a lot of radios in my time...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in