!!turn signal/hazard warning switch!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

!!turn signal/hazard warning switch!!

i need to change this turn signal/hazard switch but am having trouble getting the steering wheel off. help?

i got as far as taking all the preliminary things off but the wheel itself still won't budge and i don't want to manhandle it and damage something i didn't know was there.

any suggestions would be great i need to get places and i have no turning signals. it licks the bag.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Tompatt

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
how bout a steering wheel puller? FTW!

Thomas
-1987 YJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

um. yeah. i guess thatd work.
i don't know this stuff man give me a break.
i dont have a damn steering wheel puller.
thanks tho. i think...

post #4 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Tompatt

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ado2987 View Post
um. yeah. i guess thatd work.
i don't know this stuff man give me a break.
i dont have a damn steering wheel puller.
thanks tho. i think...
haha. just messing with ya.. calm down. im 17.. you will learn ALOT from this forum.. i kno i have. umm any autos parts store has em.. they also rent out at some places.. look around.

Thomas
-1987 YJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
ghost183

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ado2987 View Post
i need to change this turn signal/hazard switch but am having trouble getting the steering wheel off. help?

i got as far as taking all the preliminary things off but the wheel itself still won't budge and i don't want to manhandle it and damage something i didn't know was there.

any suggestions would be great i need to get places and i have no turning signals. it licks the bag.
theres a little circlip holding the wheel onto the lock ring, (metal disc with 1/2 moons all around it) hold the wheel with your knees, and push the disc in towards the dash, after you push it, you can hold it there with one hand and use a small screwdriver to pop that circlip out, if you look closely, youll see it, it doesnt go all the way around, theres a gap in it, put the screwdriver there and pry, after you get the clip out, pull the disc, and the turn signal switch assembly is right in front of you..

have fun...

Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so now ive got the wheel off (bought a wheel puller) but think i need to get a lock ring press to get all the way in there. unless there is some other way i'll just buy the 10 or 15 dollar tool i might not ever use again... ugh.
i'm going to be pissed if i still don't have turning signals after replacing this switch.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

fyi-most auto parts stores RENT the tool you need... i mean how often are you going to use your very own steering wheel puller? good luck

4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM
everydayXJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I assume you've checked your flasher fuse, flasher can, and bulbs? Or you really will feel like an idiot going to all this work.

You can get a lock plate compressor for $20 from Autozone, their loan a tool program. They'll give you your money back when you return it.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Steering column tear down/repair link. May be helpful. I have made my own puller and lockplate compressor, can post links if interested.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i couldnt find a place in town rent the wheel puller or the lock ring press. so i bought both of them. i may not use either ever again, who knows. but i learned how to do a lot of things today. ive got my new turn signal/hazard flash switch in and have both signals (sort of). I think the lever itself is worn out and will need to be replaced soon. so i guess this thread can be deleted. im new to jeepforum, is that something i can do myself?
thanks guys you've all been helpful!
-AO
post #11 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

No, the Mods don't delete the thread unless it violates general principles of decency or is blatantly disrespectful. If they all got deleted, there would be no archives or a search option. Glad you got the job done, I'm certain this will build confidence to tackle other Jeep chores.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in