Tuning for Supercharger - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dead_eye

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
dead_eye

Tuning for Supercharger

Does anyone have a supercharger on a 4.0 or
Stroker using the OBD1 system? I have a Stroker and want to add a supercharger, but I am not sure how to tune for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 10:03 AM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

from what i know of obd1 systems you will have to find someone that still has the working machines to either reprogram your computer or program a new one to change anything. there is also a bit of a side debate if these injectors can be turned up enough to run the supercharger on their own or not but i have a feeling it depends on how much boost you run if they will or not. sadly mine is an obd2 so i just have a piggy back plugged into the back of the computer to change a few inputs the comp sees and i tune it that way - it also controls the 7th fuel injector. depending on if the computer will do it you may be able to go back to a carb style distributor so you can tune that and just let the obd1 computer handle the fuel and see if it will richen it enough to meet the afr it wants to see with the single 02 sensor.

oh i should add mine is the large oldschool twin screw supercharger
post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 11:41 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
An option would be go to an aftermarket ECU like a Megasquirt or Haltech that can be tuned via laptop.

If you don't want to tune it your self, you can have it tuned, or one of the self tuning, self contained EFI units could work.

Whats over that next ridge?

post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
dead_eye

I would like to avoid using a new computer system if I can. I have a piggyback currently, it’s the Unichip, but the Jeep doesn’t run right at all with it installed. I was wanting to use a Magnum Powers supercharger with intercooler, but the tuning is the issue. Boosted Technologies has a kit, but it’s much lower boost.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i looked up the unichip thing and it seems they have a map database you get access to and tuning software so im confused here. also i have quite a few select word for boosted tech stuff but buy what ya want
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 12:31 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of supercharger are you looking to install? I know it might sound like a little bit of a step backwards but you could run a carburetor with a boost reference.

IMO though... if you aren't willing to spend $200-$300 to properly dyno tune the supercharger, you're throwing money in the trash and you risk seriously messing up your engine. So really, you should be asking local/semi-local shops if they can tune your Jeep with it's current ECU and if not, what would they recommend using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
dead_eye

That’s the problem, there is nobody within reasonable driving distance that can tune the OBD1 system, and it seems that the only way to tune is with some sort of piggyback system. I’d gladly spend $300-400 or more to dyno and do it right, but current software appears to only support OBD2.

I run boost on all of my other vehicles, and I am very much aware of the importance of proper tuning. That’s why I’m trying to find out if anyone has had success on the OBD1 system.
Waternut likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in