Tummy tuck - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tummy tuck

I know this has been discussed a lot. Just had a couple questions.
I already have a 1Ē BL, SYE and CV driveshaft. What Iím thinking is install 1Ē MML, cut my rear spring perches and reweld with the proper position.

Do you guys think I have enough room to go completely flat since I still have the stock AX-5 and NP 231? If not I will use 1Ē square stock on the frame and bolt my plate to that.

Iíve also read that a tuck can cause the floor pan to get very hot. Was thinking of maybe installing heat blanket or insulation or something like that underneath.

The hardest part I think will be making my mount for the trans. I saw a nice one somewhere on this forum with bushings and such. Am I missing anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Most everyone who pursues this makes a separate crossmember tranny mount you mentioned.

I know I will when the time comes.

Subscribed. Depending on your setup, u may need to "massage the floor" a bit or perhaps even adjust the clocking on your tcase

There are quite a few write ups and build threads that cover this from point A to B

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #3 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can use this for my cross member mounting

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Crossmembe...Set_p_112.html

And one of these skid plates.

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-YJ-2-...ate_p_216.html

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-YJ-Fl...ate_p_215.html

These are cheaper than I can buy plate and make myself.

Now should I use c-channel or rectangle stock

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner

post #4 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your profile says only a 2" lift and 31's. You likely don't need the things you're doing for that small angle. Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Your profile says only a 2" lift and 31's. You likely don't need the things you're doing for that small angle. Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?

Guess I should update sorry. Iím now on 33ís, 8.8, total of 4.5Ē lift with BL, shackles and springs. Lunchbox locker.

Iím trying to gain a bit more clearance by doing a tummy tuck.

post #6 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That skid plate from Barnes is pretty cheap. Kinda wish I had gone that route rather than making my own.

The trans crossmember would make things way easier to work on underneath but it's honestly not required and I couldn't come up with a good way to mount mine and still have adequate clearance. I mounted my LS with the way heavier 4L60E automatic directly on my 3/16" skid plate and I just put some poly bushings in between the two so they weren't hard mounted. The corssmember setup you linked is nice because it has the bushings on the side. Either way, the AX-5 on a 1/4" skid is a much beefier setup than what I have and I've slammed into mine several times.

Your crossmember can be made of just about anything. Round tube with a flat mount, rectangular/square tube, and L-angle are all suitable options. Just make sure you reinforce it.

I never ran the AX-5 with a flat skid though so I don't know where you'll run into issues. I do know that I had to grind off a few tabs on the transfer case to get them to clear the body rather than hammering on the tub and my transfer case is within 1/2" of where it was with my 4 cyl and AX-5.

post #7 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 05:44 PM
jmart2119
One Nation, under God

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tummy tuck

I used the Barnes crossmember mounting kit and flat skid with my 2.5/AX5 about 5 years ago and now Iím still using the same setup with my 5.7/4L60E. Itís quality stuff. Iíd definitely recommend the separate crossmember, itís worth it.

I easily fit the AX5 with a flat skid and didnít really run into any clearance issues. I didnít have to cut about 1 1/2Ē out of the body channel where the tcase hit. Thatís about it.

2018 YJ of the Year
YJOTM | Aug'15 | Dec'16 | Jan'18

1989 YJ - 98 5.7L Vortec, 4L60E, NP241, D30+8.8, 5.13's, 35" ProComp MT2's
post #8 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

In order to do this in a step process, do you think I can install the mml prior to other steps? If I unbolt the trans mount and install the mml would I be ok for a little bit? Or would my angles be way off?

post #9 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Found this from MORE
https://mountainoffroad.com/collecti...4-x-120-3-long

post #10 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can install the MML before you get around to anything else. If anything your driveline angles will be better since raising the engine points the transfer case down towards the axle a bit.

post #11 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

We made a bunch of crossmembers for belly ups out of tube, poly bushings, sleeves, tabs etc. Lots of ways to skin that cat. Several manufacturers copied what we did after we posted pics, or made something so close its not even funny.

Here's an example. One crossmember for the tranny - one for the Atlas.

post #12 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is my write up when I did it.
http://www.mijc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic...elly+up#p11155
I am still running it.
Yes my floor does get hot, really to the point that you could not go bare footed.
For me the reason I did the belly up was because I was lengthening the wheel base and staying on 36 inch tires.
It does work very well.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #13 of 42 Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My swap with the NP231 and AX5:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/.../#post15820703

post #14 of 42 Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

That write up is very helpful thank you very much. I like that you used to different size DOM to make sizing more convenient. I was contemplating using C channel so I did not have to drill holes for the transmission mount

post #15 of 42 Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tummy tuck

I will be buying my brown dog mml this Friday.

Iím also buying the bushing mounts. Just havenít decided which one. Any suggestions?

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...SABEgKl5fD_BwE

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Crossmembe...Set_p_112.html

A buddy of mine is saying these options look to be overkill. Too big.

Barnes and MORE have smaller sizes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in