Trying to decode firewall tag and best place to order parts - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-21-2021, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to decode firewall tag and best place to order parts

This is all new to me, so I apologize in advance. I am trying to get my 92 Islander back to the way it looked 29 years ago. I do believe the interior is wrong and I know the tires are. How do I decode the firewall tag so I know exactly what to get? Secondly, where would I order new interior parts? I understand OEM may be impossible, so what would be second best that would color match and look great. Thank you Iím advance!

Attached Thumbnails
9E35F6A8-466D-4BD0-B258-1489ED70210E.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-21-2021, 09:11 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know nothing about the firewall tag or what any of it means. You can try running a VIN decoder and see what you get there or try getting a build sheet. Short of that, I would think you could find factory specs on a '92 Islander fairly easy on google.

I'd go with Besttop seats in whatever color you need if you're looking for factory type coloring. Vendors are plentiful so pick the one that offers the best prices and shipping etc. Quadratec is a supporter of this forum and the YJ Of The Month contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-21-2021, 09:39 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

You can email Customer Support at Chrysler Corp from their website, explain what you are attempting to accomplish, and see if they can provide you an accurate build sheet. No may people do a full restoration on the YJs AFAIK, but you can get a very clean stock look with the aftermarket support available online.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared

post #4 of 22 Old 07-22-2021, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I know nothing about the firewall tag or what any of it means. You can try running a VIN decoder and see what you get there or try getting a. Short of that, I would think you could find factory specs on a '92 Islander fairly easy on google.

I'd go with Besttop seats in whatever color you need if you're looking for factory type coloring. Vendors are plentiful so pick the one that offers the best prices and shipping etc. Quadratec is a supporter of this forum and the YJ Of The Month contest.
Ran the VIN, doesnít give me the interior color. But thank you for the suppliers list.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-22-2021, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
You can email Customer Support at Chrysler Corp from their website, explain what you are attempting to accomplish, and see if they can provide you an accurate build sheet. No may people do a full restoration on the YJs AFAIK, but you can get a very clean stock look with the aftermarket support available online.
Email Chrysler, still waiting for a response. Also emailed Historical Services, they emailed me the specifications and options, which was really cool, but still is no help. Thank you for your reply
post #6 of 22 Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 AM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You have to email AMC. Talk about a wait.
222Doc likes this.

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-22-2021, 10:56 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not that long ago (pre Daimler days) it was easy to get a build sheet, other than the lady I talked to didn't want to give me one as I wasn't the "registered owner" in their system. Apparently they track (or did) the original buyer. Anyhow, they sent one out but I don't remember it having interior colors listed but it may have. Seems like they only offered gray and spice factory interior, and that sage green looking Sahara color, if it was red from the factory I'd guess it had spice interior.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-22-2021, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not that long ago (pre Daimler days) it was easy to get a build sheet, other than the lady I talked to didn't want to give me one as I wasn't the "registered owner" in their system. Apparently they track (or did) the original buyer. Anyhow, they sent one out but I don't remember it having interior colors listed but it may have. Seems like they only offered gray and spice factory interior, and that sage green looking Sahara color, if it was red from the factory I'd guess it had spice interior.
Yes, Iím shocked how hard it is to find this information. Here are some pics of my current interior. The driver and passenger seats are ďBestĒ. The back seat, not sure if there is a way to tell itís an original Jeep seat, same with the door panels. The roll var covers are grey, as are the sun visors.
Attached Thumbnails
F8E33F4C-F5BF-4284-90C4-F9807D29E402.jpg   A6C78756-3E27-4788-B826-C920F492DCFB.jpg   766851CE-1FD5-4D67-AFA8-B2DBF8AD62D6.jpg   DF5795CE-B38B-47BC-89BF-AC354ED9674E.jpg  
post #9 of 22 Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure why my pics are upside down 😂 but you get the idea 😂
post #10 of 22 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, that's interesting. You've got about a 50/50 split of interior going on there. I'd assume the seats and carpet were put in at some point just because why would someone swap the dash and steering wheel out?? That does look to be a stock back seat.

Quote:
post #11 of 22 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. You've got about a 50/50 split of interior going on there. I'd assume the seats and carpet were put in at some point just because why would someone swap the dash and steering wheel out?? That does look to be a stock back seat.
I would agree with that. I just wish I could figure this already so I could move forward.
post #12 of 22 Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curch View Post
I would agree with that. I just wish I could figure this already so I could move forward.
It's fairly clear - assuming the dash is original to the vehicle - that the interior was the light grey and charcoal grey combo from the factory. Someone swapped in a spice set up either because that's what they wanted or what was affordable - maybe a combo of both.

May I ask a few questions to better understand how to guide you?

1. what is your budget for this project?
2. When completed, are you looking for a 100% factory interior? For example, finding factory seats without tears or rips is difficult. reupholstered seats that are close to the factory can be had fairly easily.
3. Why? Don't like the spice?

I would put out an ad in the local FB groups, craigslist, etc. that you want to trade a very good condition set of spice seats, and carpet, etc. for the grey interior pieces. Who knows.. you may find someone who doesn't like the grey...

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #13 of 22 Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Curch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
It's fairly clear - assuming the dash is original to the vehicle - that the interior was the light grey and charcoal grey combo from the factory. Someone swapped in a spice set up either because that's what they wanted or what was affordable - maybe a combo of both.

May I ask a few questions to better understand how to guide you?

1. what is your budget for this project?
2. When completed, are you looking for a 100% factory interior? For example, finding factory seats without tears or rips is difficult. reupholstered seats that are close to the factory can be had fairly easily.
3. Why? Don't like the spice?

I would put out an ad in the local FB groups, craigslist, etc. that you want to trade a very good condition set of spice seats, and carpet, etc. for the grey interior pieces. Who knows.. you may find someone who doesn't like the grey...

Iím trying to get the Jeep back to as original as possible. I get ďoriginalĒ interior parts may be next to impossible and I would be happy with reproduction that looked like the original.

I have no problem with the spice at all and if it was original to the car, I would move forward, take it all out, clean it to as near perfect as I can get it and put it back in. I actually think the spice looks pretty nice in it.

I know the front seats are not Jeep sets, they are bestops, as for the carpet and door panels I have no idea if they are original Jeep parts or not.
post #14 of 22 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
look what I found
Attached Thumbnails
jeepplate.jpg  

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." óHubert Humphrey

post #15 of 22 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey look at that, now we just need to know what each one means.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in