Travel - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
OJack

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Travel

Guys, how much up travel and droop can you expect from a set of leaf springs which provide about a 4" lift? I"m a coil spring guy (LJ) but my fathers is a YJ guy and I'm trying to help him out. We live in different states otherwise I would physically do the work to figure it out. I believe he has Rough Country springs. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rough country will probably be the shortest in travel. Old man emu supposedly flexes very very well although its only a 2.5". I had both fyi
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJack View Post
Guys, how much up travel and droop can you expect from a set of leaf springs which provide about a 4" lift? I"m a coil spring guy (LJ) but my fathers is a YJ guy and I'm trying to help him out. We live in different states otherwise I would physically do the work to figure it out. I believe he has Rough Country springs. Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking, Rough Country has a pretty poor reputation for their leaf springs in this forum. I don't have any first had experience, but there seems to be complaints of a rough ride, etc. In general, 4" leaf springs are stiffer than stock springs (and stiffer than lower lift (2-2.5") springs. The number of leafs in the spring pack will greatly determine how much flex you can get. 4 leafs is about the minimum (for YJs), and I'm guessing the Rough Country springs are only 4 leaf. 5 leaf is very common. Very expensive Deaver or Alcan spring packs will have 8 or 9 leafs, and they will flex very nicely.

What's your goal in asking about droop and up travel? Determine shock length? Determine max tire size? I think you'll need to provide more info to get good answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
OJack

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am trying to determine shock length. The shocks on there now only have about 2" up travel in the rear, maybe 3" in the front...
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJack View Post
I am trying to determine shock length. The shocks on there now only have about 2" up travel in the rear, maybe 3" in the front...
Ideally, flex it out and measure for shocks.

Or take a chance and order some 4" YJ lift shocks - that would probably be good enough, if you are sure that it's a 4" lift. Like these for 3" to 6" lift:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16116_0055_14.htm

You could also take off the shock and measure it compressed and extended to figure out what you have on there now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in