Transmission slipping - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission slipping

Think I am going to need transmission rebuilt. Trying to decide which shop to go to in Flint Michigan. My automatic tranny is slipping out of gear now and then. I have 123000 miles on my Tj. One guy said that jeeps have a low pressure issue that is common?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i would go to at least 3 independent tranny shops for a estimate. might google them to see if any complaints. stay away from the amco type chain shops. IMO!
post #3 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I contacted 3 transmission shops and decided to go to Phill's Transmission in Clio Michigan. My father in-law says he has taken lots of his cars and trucks there and the guy does good work. The guy said 1800-2000 dollars.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
stratostix

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptjrn
I contacted 3 transmission shops and decided to go to Phill's Transmission in Clio Michigan. My father in-law says he has taken lots of his cars and trucks there and the guy does good work. The guy said 1800-2000 dollars.
For 2k u could do a swap n save a lotta money in the process...

1994 YJ
1965 Mustang Coupe Hi-po
2003 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!!
Jeep Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
wanabejeeper

1987 YJ Wrangler 

2K are you kidding me? you can drop it yourself and take it over. Mine was rebuilt for 700.

87 YJ The Original!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.

My build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 PM
jokerchief462

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Dude do your self a favor and save the remove and install labor. It is your Jeep but with a tranny jack for <$80 from Harbour freight and simple tools you can have a freind stop by and remove it yourself and drag it in for a cheaper rebuild. It isn't that difficult. plus you will learn more about your Jeep. Your choice but about 1K in labor and other upcharges means that nmuch less cash foor other Jeep projects/beer and wheelin fun.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #7 of 12 Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 AM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

$2k to rebuild that tranny is insane. you could swap in an AW4 for less and gain overdrive in the process. That tranny can b rebuild at home for 300 and it's one of the easiest trannys to build. Even if you pay a shop to do it, $2k is crazy high.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
post #8 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting feedback. Thanks for good advice. I'm not exactly sure what to do. I am an amateur at auto maintenance. But will definitely give this some thought.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had mine rebuilt a couple years ago. I didn't have time or place to work on it, came to 1100 complete with labor.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #10 of 12 Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for solid advice guys. Like I said I am not much of mechanic but am trying to learn. The guy at the transmission shop says he cant find anything wrong with it and no error codes are showing up. He says that the only code coming up is a O2 sensor. I am thinking that this may have been my problem. My RPMs were shooting up while driving straight and I was loosing power it didnt seem to happen during gear shifts. I thought it was definitely the transmission slipping givin the amount of miles on it 123,000. That shows what I know. I am going to keep driving it and go from there.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Tompatt

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptjrn View Post
Thanks for solid advice guys. Like I said I am not much of mechanic but am trying to learn. The guy at the transmission shop says he cant find anything wrong with it and no error codes are showing up. He says that the only code coming up is a O2 sensor. I am thinking that this may have been my problem. My RPMs were shooting up while driving straight and I was loosing power it didnt seem to happen during gear shifts. I thought it was definitely the transmission slipping givin the amount of miles on it 123,000. That shows what I know. I am going to keep driving it and go from there.
stay on this forum and you will learn more than enough to rebuild your jeep.

Thomas
-1987 YJ

post #12 of 12 Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
jeeptjrn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I just got back from tranny shop and guess what check engine light is on. 0884 code. There are several threads that have information on this I will link them. One post even discussed using foil to help ground a sketchy wire harness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in