3Likes
  • 1 Post By JeeperDon
  • 2 Post By bpounds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gypsy_Botanist
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case Adventure

Hello everyone, I hope all is well. I have been having a loud noise coming from underneath my jeep when i up shift, loudest shifting to 1st from a stop and from 1st to 2nd. It has started to make the sound up shifting into higher gears lately although not as loud. Took it to a shop i trust they tell me the transfer case needs to be replaced (probably). They said the chain was slapping and that is what the noise shifting is coming from, and that the mount is broken because they can jiggle the transfer case. I asked if fixing the mount would remedy the problem they said no, they think there is something wrong with the case its self. Changing out the thing seems pretty simple, however finding a replacement is a little daunting. I don't know where to look to see what kind of case i have, i'm pretty sure it's the M231 as i have a 4 cylinder standard 5 speed. I'm a poor college student and need to know what vehicle i can pull one of these out of in a yard or find someone in the Midwest parting out their ride. Does anyone know of other vehicles i can pull a transfer case out of to switch into mine? Or how i can diagnose what is exactly wrong and try to fix it my self, or is it even worth it? (i have little to know experience with taking apart, fixing, and putting back together mechanical things...yet). I did find one on a site for 600, should i try and get that one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Drednot

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...

I'm going to assume you are in 2WD when this happens?
I'm pretty sure the chain is disengaged when in 2WD and shouldn't be turning, let alone slapping.
Is it a grinding that you can feel through the shifter when you are moving it to engage 1st and then 2nd gears?
Does it make the noise when you are in gear and driving? or just during the shift?
Can you better describe the noise? can you make a video?

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/[email protected]
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/[email protected]
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2017, 05:08 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

With it in 2wd, crawl under and see if you can turn the front drive shaft by hand. If so, your axle CAD is working, so in 2wd nothing is driving the chain. Then Dred is right, it's likely NOT the chain. If you can not turn the driveshaft by hand in 2wd, then the axle CAD may be engaged and is driving the driveshaft and the chain all the time, which could make chain noise. In either case, answer his Q's about more details, and let us know if the DS can be turned.
Drednot likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Mookdog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If it comes down to the chain, or a T-Case rebuild it is certainly a DIY. A new chain runs you $70 and unless the inside is completely ruined you may be able to get away with just that. Obviously finish the troubleshooting mentioned above first.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 AM
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I cannot help diagnose problem, but having just completed a t-case swap, I can say that it takes little mechanical skill to replace your t-case. There is a red stamp on the back side of t-case which will tell you model. It should read NP 231 J. The main trick is to get a t-case for your size engine and manual tranny, to make sure spline count and length of shafts match. I found one at our local jeep salvage yard for $250. Good luck!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2017, 08:45 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Botanist View Post
...loudest shifting to 1st from a stop and from 1st to 2nd.
I don't understand how this could possibly be a transfer case problem. Nothing behind the clutch is turning when you shift while stopped.

And why would a shop advise replacing a transfer case, instead of a simple repair?

I smell a rotten shop rat.
MDFubar and project_mercy like this.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

Tags
repair , replacement , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in