Trailer size for those who tow their Jeeps - JeepForum.com
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Trailer size for those who tow their Jeeps

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but the trailer section doesn't get a lot of activity.

I sold my gooseneck because it just wasn't everything I wanted it to be and am now on the hunt for an enclosed trailer to tow my Jeep. I know I will need an extra 12" of height but I'm hung up on length more than anything else. My gooseneck was officially a 16' platform but had a little fwd and aft of that making it more like 17'. There was plenty of room for my Jeep on my trailer for the Jeep and for me to walk around it but I feel like an enclosed trailer might make things a little tighter so I was thinking 18' or 20' and then I could probably sleep in it with my Jeep if we were to camp and have bad weather. From 18' to 20' is maybe $100 more but it's only $400 more to go all the way to a 24' trailer. My only hiccup is that a 24' trailer with an additional 2' V nose is a REALLY LONG trailer! Just kinda curious what people think in terms of length. Stick with a reasonable length or just go for it...

Attached a pic of my 16' trailer and a meme that comes to mind when I think about going all the way up to a 24' trailer.

Attached Thumbnails
20190526_172026.jpg  
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 02:44 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
if you normally tent camp then I would go longer and make it into a sleeping space. My friend turned an old uhaul truck into an rv. The water and black tank and toilet cost was not that much and we built a shower stall in place. No reason for a mounted stove or sink, just put an outdoor shower for dishwashing and tooth brushing. I have a tankless water heater in mine that I got for < $150

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #3 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 24'. It has a toilet, fridge, shelves, heater...
A little too big works better than a little too small.
Attached Thumbnails
20190614_152930_HDR.jpg  
paulhead likes this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."

post #4 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a 20x8 and 7 ft tall enclosed trailer, the jeep fits well, with some room in front of it.
I've had a 29 ft Airstream that was kind of apain to tow, the shorter trailer is nicer to tow and store.
this one I put E-track in it to tie stuff in place, and a folding table/bench in the front.
The E-track has lots of great add ons that just clip in right where you need it.

Keep in mind a tall wide trailer has alot of drag so millage will suffer.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #5 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 04:09 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I pull mine on an 18’ aluminum flatbed.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #6 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 04:22 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up getting two Can Am Mavericks. Didn't have to switch trailers.
Consider future events that you may not be thinking about now.
A little more length only adds a little more weight.

A trailer being a little bit too small sucks more than a trailer being a little bit too big.
92 Green YJ, timatoe and 4Low2G0 like this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #7 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 04:56 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Go big or go home! LOL.

Seriously though. How many people have built a garage or pole barn for shop space and a year or two later wish they had gone bigger?

If I was using it for sleeping space and going boondocking I would want an AC unit, thus a generator. Tools and parts for the Jeep. If the weather is that bad you may want a comfortable space for daytime stuff. Jbolty had some great ideas about a potty, water, etc.

I would go as big as my truck could comfortably handle, within reason.
92 Green YJ and Chrisnvegas like this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I hadn't really thought about partitioning for sleeping quarters but that could be an option that would be a lot more feasible with a longer trailer. I just worry that going to a normal gas station might start getting tricky with a 24' foot trailer that is effectively 28' behind my trucks bumper. I know people do it so maybe I just need to be patient and pull in and out of spots that make life easier.

I've got a 2000 Silverado with the 6.0 LS engine. It could do 80 uphill with my gooseneck and Jeep but it was much happier around 70-75 on flat ground and 65 uphill. My truck is not as tall as trucks today so my Jeep literally sat with almost the entire grill and everything above it in the windstream. I couldn't even see the top of my Jeep through the rearview mirror. So part of my justification of going to enclosed was that a V nose, flat sided, enclosed trailer can't be much heavier or have much more drag than what I currently had but it would give a lot more security, luxury, and options. If you look at the picture above, I was on 35's and the headlights sat above the top of the trailer. Add a little more lift and 38's and the drag started getting ridiculous.

post #9 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Go big or go home! LOL.

Seriously though. How many people have built a garage or pole barn for shop space and a year or two later wish they had gone bigger?

If I was using it for sleeping space and going boondocking I would want an AC unit, thus a generator. Tools and parts for the Jeep. If the weather is that bad you may want a comfortable space for daytime stuff. Jbolty had some great ideas about a potty, water, etc.

I would go as big as my truck could comfortably handle, within reason.
I agree with all of this and had even considered an AC unit later on down the road and using the trailer as a cool hang out spot when it got hot. Though no one really looks at their pole barn and wishes it wasn't so big but when you're towing 7000lbs, you might wish it wasn't so heavy.

post #10 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 05:42 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
When I ordered my trailer I had the frame work done for an A/C on the roof and will add that soon.

I have LED lighting inside and an inverter for AC power, a solar charger is also in the works.

Plan is for it to be a place to hangout out when not out in the Jeep or out on the track with
the other toy.

post #11 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 06:01 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I agree with all of this and had even considered an AC unit later on down the road and using the trailer as a cool hang out spot when it got hot. Though no one really looks at their pole barn and wishes it wasn't so big but when you're towing 7000lbs, you might wish it wasn't so heavy.
I did say what your truck can reasonably handle.

We have the worst luck at work with our tow vehicles recently. We have a ram 4500 which blew a motor and has blown two Jasper replacement engines quickly. Like first or second trip. They are miss built and the valves crash the pistons.

We have a Ford F550 roll back wrecker with a wheel lift or stinger on the rear. It had high pressure oil issues to the injectors, got that cured, now has variable geometry turbo issues. Crap.

So today I got to tow the 50 foot gooseneck trailer with three mailtrucks on it in a Ram 2500. Not enough truck, trailer brake controller not working correctly. etc. We be talking like 20 to 25K LBs. Yikes. I need a beer.

Too much weight will kill a truck. Axles and trans for sure. It becomes unsafe with undersized vehicle brakes.

As far as economy is concerned, I believe that wind drag is worse than weight. I can tow a car on an open car trailer behind my 1/2 ton Silverado at about 5k in weight and get 14 to 15 MPG. If I haul my 25' tip to tip travel trailer that weighs 3700 lbs empty so no more than 5k weight loaded I get 8 to 10mpg.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 06:08 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
As far as economy is concerned, I believe that wind drag is worse than weight. I can tow a car on an open car trailer behind my 1/2 ton Silverado at about 5k in weight and get 14 to 15 MPG. If I haul my 25' tip to tip travel trailer that weighs 3700 lbs empty so no more than 5k weight loaded I get 8 to 10mpg.
This is exactly right, I have about the same results, Suburban does a little better than the Silverado
I believe the airflow is better with the Suburban, but it still drinks alot LOL
Fuel mileage is about the same if my trailer is empty or loaded, trailer is 3000# empty.

post #13 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 06:28 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hell my set up above with the 32’ Class C and the Aluma 18’ flatbed gets a whopping 6.4 MPG going down the road.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #14 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yes, I agree which is why I was thinking the V nose enclosed would have less drag than a giant brick that is my Jeep. I know my Jeep is roughly 78" tall and the gooseneck trailer platform was about 22" off the ground. I think the enclosed trailer will be a foot taller than this with the extra height that I need. I'm only guessing and looking for opinions so don't take anything I say as negatively.

When I was on 35's, I was getting around 9.5-10.5 mpg and thought it was pretty bad. When I went to 38's, I'm feeling pretty good if I can get over 9 mpg. When I was trying to hold 80 while following friends with their Jeeps and trailers, I got 7.5mpg which was an all time low. Although my buddy got between 3-4mpg with his newer Ram 3500 diesel while pulling a large flat front trailer so I guess it can always be worse.

post #15 of 59 Old 07-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a V-nose. But little the resistance is the nose. It's the HUGE low pressure area at the rear. All of that mass of air creates huge suction.
The front of your tow vehicle already "broke" the air. even if some of the trailer is higher.
The resistance is the REAR.

This is now being addressed on tractor trailers with fold out flaps.

I don't have (much) trouble at gas stations. MY RV plus trailer is about 75' long. I usually go to bigger gas stations and truck stops.

A 16' trailer has as bad aerodynamics as a 24' trailer.

A flat rear door is a flat rear door.

My RV has a stairway and an upstairs bedroom. That's why it's so tall.
92 Green YJ, Waternut and 4Low2G0 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in