• 2 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By jeeepguy
  • 1 Post By Waternut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
dg98adams

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Trail cover? Ohio spring/summer/fall outside parking

Looking for recommendations for a trail cover for the YJ.....

Will run a bikini top till fall, I am fixing up a soft top (bad zippers)
considering

Bestop Trail cover - cover bikini top, supposed to be waterproof, but not useable over softop. $130

Rampage 2261 cover- supposed to be water proof, and can cover soft top $70

Any personal recommendations?

DG’s Driveway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-06-2020, 11:43 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tarp, Harbor Freight, $15. Bungee cords, Harbor Freight, $5.
paulhead and jbolty like this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

@Awesome

That's insane man.

....$5 for some bungee cords?
timatoe and NHfireLJ like this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 07:31 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I run the Bestop cover, and have been for years with no issues. With either, you need to come up with a way to prop up the center of the top or you will wake up after a rainy night to find your top filled with water and almost touching the seat! I made one out of PVC that fits between the spreader bars, and has enough of a bow in it to keep the water from pooling. The Bestop cover I have can support the weight of at least 30 gallons of water without tearing. Don't ask me how I know that!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
2nd for the tarp.

I had the bestop. it's kind of water proof; would not trust it for sustained rain. Fits ok, I had mine for putting over the rampage when the windows were out. Used it off and on for 5-6 years and it finally fell apart

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 09:57 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I have a different solution. Forget the bikini top and get a safari top that extends to the back. I had a bikini for years and switched to a safari. Way better. No, it does not go all the way back... it attaches to the end of the roll cage, but it keeps out way more rain than a bikini. And the best part IMHO, is there is less wind noise driving. And b/c of the different wind flo, I found that on dusty summer trails there is less reverse air drag... meaning, the nasty dust that tends to circle back into the Jeep from the rear tires is much less. That alone sold me on them.
Mine lived in a garage all year, so rain was never an issue. But even if I got caught in a summer rain, a HF tarp and bungee's did just fine.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #7 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
dg98adams

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies.....

Rock worm: it came with bikini top

Other than putting it in the barn for Winter, I won’t put it inside from Spring till fall....

I have seen the PVC DIY spreader for the top... it’s on my list.

Probably get the best top trail cover.... missed a sale a month ago when it was $30 cheaper. 🤨

DG’s Driveway
post #8 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the Bestop 8103609 cover. It works well for me and it's pretty thick and durable. I like that it clips down on the soft top rails on the back to help prevent everything from blowing around. If I were to use it solely as an emergency solution when wheeling and camping, I don't think I would've bothered.

I originally bought mine to let me park in my one car garage and store the jeep outside without a top. My only real complaint is that the door sides blow open in the wind. A strong magnet works well if I remember to use one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I almost forgot because I haven't gotten to use it yet... I bought a 10x10 pop up canopy to use when I'm wheeling to keep the dew off of everything and give me a place to work on broken stuff should bad weather hit or hot sun. The plan is to back the cab under the canopy under normal circumstances though.

post #10 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 05:52 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg98adams View Post

considering

Bestop Trail cover - cover bikini top, supposed to be waterproof, but not useable over softop. $130

Raingear... by far the best

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #11 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 07:03 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
I'm being a bit judgmental here but I personally have a hard time dropping money on the most expensive cab cover available when the company can't even be bothered to take a picture of the product they sell or install it properly on the pictures they do take. The JT cover looks fairly good except that it was just taken out of the box with wrinkles everywhere and not even attached properly. The JK cover looks pretty good but the JL cover appears to fit like crap. Hard to tell though because they are all low resolution pictures that appear to just be thrown together in a rush without much care. Maybe it's just me but if that's the best they can do to advertise their product, it makes me really concerned about the accuracy and quality of the products.

post #12 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 AM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I'm being a bit judgmental here but I personally have a hard time dropping money on the most expensive cab cover available when the company can't even be bothered to take a picture of the product they sell or install it properly on the pictures they do take. The JT cover looks fairly good except that it was just taken out of the box with wrinkles everywhere and not even attached properly. The JK cover looks pretty good but the JL cover appears to fit like crap. Hard to tell though because they are all low resolution pictures that appear to just be thrown together in a rush without much care. Maybe it's just me but if that's the best they can do to advertise their product, it makes me really concerned about the accuracy and quality of the products.
Their website sucks... their product is excellent. I've had my YJ cover for 12 years and bought one for my JK later. Two of my wheeling buddies have them as well and love them.
Waternut likes this.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #13 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 10:07 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg98adams View Post

considering

First time hearing about this.

And 2nd the lazy aspect of the company.

Man... 'Murica has it all

I would like a cover too, have been for a few years... but every single one available to me is junk. RR, RC, Bestop ($$$). I also cannot use anything that hooks around the tail lights as those are long gone.

I really need to road trip down there this summer.... pick up a Gobi roof rack, install it in a parking lot, and one of these covers and drive back

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
First time hearing about this.

And 2nd the lazy aspect of the company.

Man... 'Murica has it all

I would like a cover too, have been for a few years... but every single one available to me is junk. RR, RC, Bestop ($$$). I also cannot use anything that hooks around the tail lights as those are long gone.

I really need to road trip down there this summer.... pick up a Gobi roof rack, install it in a parking lot, and one of these covers and drive back
I know my Bestop cover hooks around the tail lights but I just attached a couple pieces of rope to the elastic and clip it to the shackles on my rear bumper. Maybe that isn't an option for you but may be something to consider.
Awesome likes this.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 2 of the rain gear covers. I bought one for my wife's Jeep back in 2013 but it went with the Jeep when we sold it. I got the second used from a buddy. It was probably 5 years old when I got it and that was about 5 years ago. I still use it on my Jeep when it's outside overnight. Works great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in