traction bar - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
94jeepman

2005 WK 

traction bar

I'm planning on making a traction bar and I found a website before giving you angles of how you want it but I can't find it any more anybody got ideas of how to make one? Or if it matters on angles and all that fun stuff?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 03:15 AM
ThreeToe
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Trac bars on a leaf spring build are useless. Don't waste your time and money making one. The trac bar will bind your leafs and make the ride much worse.

The works already done to take them out. Leave them out.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Uhmmmm... ThreeToe? A traction bar (anti-wrap bar) and a trac bar are not the same animal.

You can buy a kit with all the components to DIY from Ruff Stuff. Got a welder? Takes a lot of the guesswork out, but leaves you with adaptability for your situation. Pretty much want the top bar to be parallel with the frame. IE, straight back from the top of the bar hanger on the axle to the top of the shackle in the front. The lower bar angles up and reinforces the top bar. Closer to the pumpkin the better (less problem with suspension flex interference).

Lots of pics here on the forum of traction bars. I can dig mine out if you need it, but a search will give you plenty of ideas.

You have to start somewhere to get to the middle of nowhere.

2015 YJ Of The Year

Thanks, but my rig is just a Prince among Kings. You folks gave me the answers to build it!

post #4 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Bong_Holyeo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Like Burlbook48 said you want the top bar to be parallel with the frame, in addition you want the bottom bar at the same angle as your drive shaft and the shackle to be strait up and down. The ruff-stuff kit is great. Here is a pic of what i put together with their kit.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I beg to differ from what has already been mentioned. Here's why.....not all lifts are the same & since this is the case, dialing it in to the drive shaft angle and making the drive shaft angle the focus of how it's set up is most important as long as the drive shaft angle is set up correctly & the Jeep YJ is set-up with either an SYE or has an tcase that does not have a slip yoke.

For proper install - look at these instructions. My YJ was used as the example since it's set up correctly.

http://store.avhost.net/mountainoffr...500%20Ins..pdf
post #6 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Sparrows

1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is a maddening amount of opinions and variety of ways out there to set the traction bar up. A google search will pull up a mind numbing array of different possibilities.

Seriously, google it and look at what other people have done. Even people that use the same "kit" like the RuffStuff one end up with wildly different things.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

June '13 YJOTM
post #7 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
The terminology needs to be corrected:

Trac Bar is the EXACT same as a Traction Bar. These prevent the axle from twisting under load.

Track Bar (panhard bar) is totally different. These locate the axle side to side.

Spelling here is INCREDIBLY vital.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #8 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM
imstillatwork
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Was it a jeep thing to call them Track Bars? I only knew them as Panhard Rods / Bars before my YJ.
Sorry, off topic...
post #9 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM
ThreeToe
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My apologize in everything I've read I've never seen an anti wrap bar called a traction bar.
My bad.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the one from ruff stuff waiting to be installed but I have a vibration. Its only slight one but its there
post #11 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM
imstillatwork
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeToe View Post
My apologize in everything I've read I've never seen an anti wrap bar called a traction bar.
My bad.
That's correct though. Traction Bar = Anti Wrap

The issue comes up with the Panhard on Jeeps being called Track Bars.

Then we have Track and Traction Bar confusion.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
It's not just a Jeep thing to call them a 'Track Bar', the term runs throughout the automotive community.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #13 of 14 Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 PM
ThreeToe
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah very weird. Any ways sorry for my way off the mark advice. I thought it was another redundant track (panhard) thread.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
94jeepman

2005 WK 

Thanks for all the input guys I was doing some research last night and there's so many different ones out there I was just wanting to summarize it up a bit and see how some of you guys had them setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in