• 1 Post By TSEJEEPERS
  • 1 Post By rocketboy
  • 1 Post By 87TPIYJ
  • 2 Post By 1project2many

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-18-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
jacobowens1994

Total newbie mistake

Well today I decided to degrease my engine and underneath my 95 wrangler. Took off what I just thought to be my skid plate
Little did I know that’s also the tranny support. Hopefully I can now see where my leaks are coming from
And many shall get a good laugh from this one lol.
LESSON LEARNED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RioGrandeRandy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

On an El Camino, I drilled a hole in the top of the trans while mounting a console.
Ruined the trans.

I changed the oil in my Jeep... without installing the drain plug.
6 quarts on the garage floor.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #3 of 15 Old 09-18-2019, 08:02 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
On an El Camino, I drilled a hole in the top of the trans while mounting a console.
Ruined the trans.

I changed the oil in my Jeep... without installing the drain plug.
6 quarts on the garage floor.

and that was just today …

I had a brand new car on a 2 post lift and didn't set the latch on one of the posts before going to lunch. car was nose down hanging on by a thread.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-18-2019, 08:04 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm...

Years ago I drained the oil out of a 350 equipped CJ at work, changed the filter, then backed the Jeep out and let it idle while I picked up my tools. Luckily I remembered the missing step and added oil before any major engine damage occurred.

Once a customer talked his way past the service manager into my bay so he could watch me work on his truck. Fine, except that he wouldn't stop talking. I managed to drain the oil from his T5 as requested but forgot to refill it. The transmission seized on the way home. It's my fault. I own it.

Then there was the time I connected the IAC connector to the distributor in a 7.4L TBI truck during an engine replacement. It actually tried to start for a brief second which threw me way off. It took almost an hour to find the problem just because I refuesd to believe that the engine could have tried to start with the connectors swapped.

Oh, or the time when I was a youngster that I put the plug wires on the distributor of a SBC in counter-clockwise order. I spent the entire night trying to get the engine to start with no success. My boss listened to it cranking for three seconds and diagnosed the problem

I really learned a lesson the time I tried rewiring the cab of my '55 Chevy truck. Those old trucks had no fuses so everything was wired direct. Somehow I'd shorted out the blower power wire which went all the way across the cab. I turned on the defroster on the way to school and the cab filled with smoke followed by insulation dripping onto the carpet. Total newbie mistake.

Anyone else?
post #5 of 15 Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I installed the oil port bracket on my Mazda B2200 upside down after rebuilding the engine. Got oil everywhere and took me a bit to figure out why my (finally running) vehicle was puking everywhere.

Yesterday I stripped the threads out of my upper idler pulley mount.

We've all been there.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 05:24 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've done the skid plate removal trick before. You get that last bolt out and about get a transmission in your lap.

When doing my V8 swap, I was trying to keep the weight down for the engine hoist when temp installing the engine, trans, and transfer case combo so I left the fluid out of the transfer case. I was going to fill it up while it was out of the jeep. A friend convinced me that I didn't need to pull everything to weld up the mounts. I agreed and proceeded to drive over 200 miles with zero fluid in the transfer case. Still going strong so that kinda proves how resilient the NP231 is.
jacobowens1994 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I was freshening up the 8.8... I had a bear of a time removing the axle tube bearings for replacement.

Ordered a proper OEM tool and slide hammer for the job.... got them out. Re-installed new.... or so I thought. When I was wrapping up for the day after I installed the axle shafts, caliper bracket, dust shield, rotors, calipers, axle tube seals and was about to stretch my back while enjoying a victory cigarette... I reached for my lighter and saw two in package bearings. "Hmmm. I only bought two- ahhhhhh sheeeeeeit".

Yup. Waited one week for the slide hammer to arrive so I could remove the old bearings just to pop them back in.

No catastrophic results obviously, but an entire day of work where I thought I had made some ground was erased.

So an additional 3 hours that night and because of their age and all the beating they took, those old bearings were shattering when trying to pull them back out. Slide hammer was useless at that point.... had to get creative with a BFH and a flathead screwdriver. (Of course, none of this was mentioned in my 8.8 thread). Had to wait an additional 2 days for new seals after that

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #8 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 06:05 AM
ZEN357

We've all made mistakes at one point or another, some costly and some not, as long as we learn from our mistakes that's all that matters!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 06:59 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
………………..
Attached Images

87TPIYJ and jacobowens1994 like this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #10 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 07:16 AM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for making me feel better! While I've done some stupid things, I've blocked them out of my memory. But, the day isn't over yet!

EDIT: OK, I remembered. Welded the fender flare holes shut only to find out six months later that fender flares serve a good purpose in stopping to fling mud and dirt all over so I drilled them out again. I usually also have issues stripping bolts....then finding out that anti-seize changes the torque values. And yes, I have two torque wrenches.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #11 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
jacobowens1994

Lol I figured I’d get some that would own their f ups!
Hope I didn’t stress anything too bad
Got it jacked back up and seems to be fine
post #12 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 04:23 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since Chrisnvegas brought up El Camino.
I had one back in the early 80s.
At this time in my life I knew nothing about mechanics keeping my vehicles running.
A buddy of mine and I decided it was time to tune it up.
I bought all the stuff for it plugs, oil, oil filter ect.
We get to the plugs. First thing he does is pull all the wires off. Both sides. V8
Install plugs, reconnect wires and the engine has a miss.
No clue what the problem is. We went to a place that did testing on engines, they put it on scope. Says it must be the Carb.
Anyway to keep from dragging the story out, I sold that vehicle with a miss a few years later.
Later on when I really started to learn about mechanics did I realize that the only thing that was wrong was probably crossed plug wires.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 PM
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Was putting the oil pan back on after replacing the rear main seal on my 4.2. Using a nice new felpro rubber gasket. It's kind of a pain to get the pan with the gasket on it in place with the exhaust in place. Got it back on, filled it with oil and took it for a test drive. Oil is pouring out in a stream as I'm driving down the road. Drain the remaining oil and pull the oil pan and try again. Being very careful. Fill it back up and take it for a rise. Still streaming out. Go for try number 3 and notice there's a slot on the end bearing cap which the gasket should go in. And it still has the old gasket in it. I did a nice job of cleaning all the old gasket away but didn't realize that part was there...

post #14 of 15 Old 09-20-2019, 04:17 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you have ever made brake lines I can guarantee you have made the most beautiful perfect double flare ever only to realize you forgot to put the flare nut on the line first.
Attached Thumbnails
idontalways-make-a-perfectly-flared-brake-line-but-whenido-iforget-530534.jpg  

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #15 of 15 Old 09-20-2019, 05:58 AM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
If you have ever made brake lines I can guarantee you have made the most beautiful perfect double flare ever only to realize you forgot to put the flare nut on the line first.
When you have enough years of experience making lines you don't forget the nut. You put it on backward. And you don't realize it's backward until after you've worked very hard to put the line back into the original clips and hooks without bending it and you've already attached the other end of the line.
87TPIYJ and jacobowens1994 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in