Torque Wrench - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 08-13-2019, 11:14 PM
mudbug85603

Just buy a Craftsman in whatever size you want...Very rarely if ever do you see a professional mechanic using (cough cough) Harbor Freight crap. Craftsman has been putting out quality tools for decades with a 100% lifetime warranty that are not that much more in cost than the most expensive HF stuff. In my box, you will find Craftsman, S+K, and Snap-on most all of it is over 40 years old from when I went to mechanic school and worked at an AMC dealership. As for Kobalt tools that's a crapshoot have seen them in action LoL... rounded off nuts from loose-fitting sockets and wrenchs, busted heads on 1/2" breaker bars, many broken screwdriver tips... Oh well it's your money spend it as you wish

'98 TJ 5sp Super 35 D30 w/Aussie 5.13 on 33's
'94 YJ 5sp 4.88 D35/HP30 sitting on 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

All mine are HF wrenches. We well most of us arent professional mechanics these are occasional use tools. Does HF or Kobalt stand up to constant use every day. Probably not but for the hobbiest they are fine and if you check youtube many people have them checked and they are as accurate as craftsman and snap on

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 AM
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Most new torque wrenchs will be close when new. I bought a 1/4 one from HF and it never clicked as I spun the head off a bolt. The next one was as close to perfect as I could ask for.

Most important is care and maintenance by keeping it lubricated and returning the scale back to zero when storing it. Don't leave it for months set at 50ft/lbs or the spring can distort.

Look up how to calibrate your wrench at home. I came up with a method of hanging a 5 gallon pail on the handle one foot out from the ratchet end. 3 gallons of water equals 20 lbs. So the wrench will click when I hang the water bucket on the horizontal wrench which goes on a big bolt mounted on a wooden post. Many other methods are out there.

post #19 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a couple of nice torque wrenches from Precision Instruments. A 1/2" drive that goes up to 250 ft-lbs, and a 3/8" drive that is less. They both have pivoting heads, and are ratcheting, of course. I greatly prefer their adjustment mechanism over the HF style (handle twist). Supposedly Precision makes the Snap on torque wrenches, and are made in the USA. Worth the money to me, as I use them a ton. But I understand that they are expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Ins.../dp/B002XMSFIM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you everyone for the many suggestions. Big help guys.

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
post #21 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 AM
mudbug85603

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
I've got a couple of nice torque wrenches from Precision Instruments. A 1/2" drive that goes up to 250 ft-lbs, and a 3/8" drive that is less. They both have pivoting heads, and are ratcheting, of course. I greatly prefer their adjustment mechanism over the HF style (handle twist). Supposedly Precision makes the Snap on torque wrenches, and are made in the USA. Worth the money to me, as I use them a ton. But I understand that they are expensive.
Buy once, cry once
StanF likes this.

'98 TJ 5sp Super 35 D30 w/Aussie 5.13 on 33's
'94 YJ 5sp 4.88 D35/HP30 sitting on 33's
post #22 of 26 Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 AM
KARamsay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wait for a sale on Craftsman or check some of the sears stores that are going out of Business.

You will need a 1/2" that has a pretty decent range
I would also suggest that it is nice to have a 3/8" that goes to around 70 ft-lbs or as Someone suggested the 1/4" in in-lbs

For wear/Temps use tools - Harbor Freight is OK. I think you can find nicer stull on Amazon / Walmart.com now.
post #23 of 26 Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If I needed one everyday to make a living I'd buy an expensive one. FWIW, Craftsman will NOT warranty a torque wrench when it breaks. Maybe since they've been bought out by Stanley they may but we were given a hard no when we took one to Sears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #24 of 26 Old 08-15-2019, 03:00 PM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Craftsman torque wrenches are only warranted for a year a believe. Definitely not lifetime I have been through a couple. I had the first one for about 20 years and the next one was identical. They haven't updated them in a while.

Some people get carried away and torque everything. I have been wrenching on cars for 30 ish years and have never torqued a valve cover, or tie rod,or a few hundred other things. Working inside an engine, yeah, they need torqued. Lug nuts... yep, torqued. I wouldn't get too carried away with torquing every single bolt to spec. I suppose that you learn the "feel" for different things in time and if you are new the torque wrench will prevent you from screwing things up. Small bolts and bolts threading into aluminum won't take much torque before breaking or stripping the aluminum.
timatoe likes this.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #25 of 26 Old Today, 06:49 AM
KARamsay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
never torqued a valve cover, or tie rod,or a few hundred other things. Working inside an engine, yeah, they need torqued. Lug nuts... yep, torqued. I wouldn't get too carried away with torquing every single bolt to spec.
LOL... I am about the same these get torque:
Engine assembly
Steering / suspension components

Lug nuts - I have developed quite a "feel" for lug nuts.
Then again - I am super particular about lug nuts (gorilla or MCGuard)
Of course I have to adjust them after the oil change monkeys visit.
post #26 of 26 Old Today, 07:38 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Small 1/4 drive for inch pounds; 3/8 drive for just about everything else. HF, B&D, Wally-world. All good for everything but absolute precision.

Once I started doing my own heads and crank work I found a used Snap-On 1/2 drive, ($50) and had it calibrated ($60)...It's over 40 years old now, but is the only wrench I'll put on major (catastrophic result) bolts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in