Tire Carrier Added to Dirtworx Bumper - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tire Carrier Added to Dirtworx Bumper

Edit on 7-16-2017. After Photobucket went crazy, I was able to attach the first 10 pictures to each post. Some posts had more than ten pictures, so some are still missing. Post to this thread if you need any missing pictures/details.

After a recent bump to 35" tires, I needed a new solution for my spare tire...I broke this down into 5 parts:

Part 1: Introduction and Parts Purchased (this post)
Part 2: Cutting and Welding
Part 3: Finishing / Painting
Part 4: Installed Pictures
Part 5: Future Plans

Part 1: Introduction and Parts Purchased

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Dirtworx Rock Crawler-style rear bumper. I have been using an Outland Support Kit for my 32" spare tire. It has worked great, but wasn't going to be adequate for my 35" tires.
Outland Support:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/o...t-kit-1057401/

Since I already had about $200 invested in my rear bumper, I figured it would be cheaper to just add a tire carrier, than to replace the whole thing. Luckily, I found a great thread started by Besrk over in the fab section of the forum:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-along-101332/

The thread is very, very long, and spans over 10 years, but it is a great read for anyone planning to build or buy a bumper/tire carrier.

When you read the thread, you'll realize that Besrk's bumper/tire carrier is a great value. His tire carriers get great reviews, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

My original goals were:
  • Carry a 35" spare tire (duh!)
  • Storage of extra gas/water/tools
    I like the many tire carriers that incorporate 5 gallon Jerry cans. I decided that 2 gallon Rotopax containers would fit nicely within the frame without added too much extra depth and too much extra weight. Rotopax is expen$ive, but they have many different styles of containers, which is nice. I have purchased one gas container, and will probably purchase a 2 gallon water container. They also have a couple of different storage containers.

• Integrated 3rd Brake Light
    I was originally thinking of a more complicated solution, but in the end, I just used Delta Lug Nut Lites.

• Hi Lift Jack storage
    I know many people don't like them, but I needed recently to fix a shackle inversion. Mine has been sitting in my garage for a year because I don't have a good place to mount it. I'm not sure that I will mount it to my tire carrier because of the extra weight, and it also interferes with my CB antenna. This may be a future enhancement.
  • Lockable in some way
    This will be a future enhancement. I have a Bolt padlock that works off of my Jeep ignition key that I want to use.

http://www.boltlock.com/shop/chrysle...locks/7018520/

Special Parts Purchased:
- MegaDuty Spindle from AtoZ

- De-Staco 344 Clamp PN 5135A43 from McMaster-Carr. There are a bunch of different options.

- Spring Loaded Pin PN 90222A118 from McMaster-Carr (to hold open the tire carrier)

- Delta 01-6581-50 LED Lug Nut Light Kit

- Tire Mount from Ground Pounder Fab (Besrk)

- 6" Receiver Tube from Northern Tools

Steel Purchased:
- The frame is 1/8" tubing, both 2" x 2" and 2" x 3" was used.

- 1/4" steel was used for most of the other structural pieces.
-
The Rotopax mount is 3/16" steel.

Design:
I used Solidworks to design the Tire Carrier and get the dimensions right. If anyone wants a PDF of the drawing, just send me a PM.

A couple of design notes:
I oriented the latch at 45 degrees, so that it would tightly hold the arm down against the bumper and tight against the stop. There are a ton of different ways that people have done this, but I feel like the 45 degree latch is the strongest and should not allow any movement at all.

I also put in a spring loaded pin that holds open the tire carrier.

One more important note - a tire carrier adds a bunch of extra stress onto the frame crossmember (which is very wimpy!). I'd strongly recommend a set of frame tie-ins, so that the extra weight is transferred directly into the frame. My frame tie-ins (from AtoZ) were installed a couple of years ago. YJ frame tie-ins have to be welded in place. (TJ frame tie-ins can be bolted in place, as their frame has mounting holes).

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 2: Cutting and Welding

I was able to cut all the main frame pieces on a cold saw at my office, so everything was pretty square. An angle grinder was used to round over the end of the frame for the tube.

After that, it was pretty easy to lay everything out and tack it together:

And then fully weld it

And mock it up on the bumper:

Gussets were added:

The bumper was removed, and a large hole drilled through with a hole saw:

The two bearing races get pressed into the tube before welding:

Then everything is assembled, and the spindle and tube are tacked in place. Two 3/8" spacers were used between the bumper and tire carrier arm. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone to 1/2" spacers, and it would make welding the spindle easier.

Then I started on the clamp. Note that the original clamp angle was set to 20 degrees. This didn't hold the arm down far enough, so I remade the clamp support, so it would be at 45 degrees.

The bumper portion is done. Everything is fully welded, and the spindle was shortened.

One more design note - I was very careful to not have any interference with the license plate. Most tire carriers have longer arms, and the clamp can get in the way. Not a big deal on a TJ, but more important for a YJ because of our gas tank fill location.

Attached Images

post #3 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 3: Finishing / Painting

Holes were tapped for the stock YJ rubber bumpers, and the Rotopax steel was added. Note that the rubber bumpers keep the tire from rocking around, and I think they are very important to the overall strength of the tire carrier.

And holes drilled for the Rotopax mounts:

Blanking plates were added:

Masked off and painted:

Cleaned and primed:

And painted:

The tire mount plate was purchased from Besrk. I used a 2" x 2" x 1/8" steel tube and added a gusset. The three studs are just 7/16 bolts welded in place. The hole was drilled, so that there is about 1/4" of interference with the rubber bumpers.
Attached Images

post #4 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 4 - Installed Pictures

Here are some installed pictures:
Attached Images

post #5 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 5: Future Plans

Too many of my Jeep projects drag on and on, so I set a goal to finish the tire carrier in a month. I started cutting steel on Dec 1st, so I will meed that goal. But I did push off a few items into the future. Feel free to comment with ideas for any of these!

Spare Tire Lock
I usually park in the garage, and am pretty careful about where I leave my Jeep, but I want some type of spare tire lock.
I know of at least 3 ways to do this. I could use a special keyed lugnut, but I would hate keeping track of another key. And I've read where these things really aren't that secure.

I could use the special Bolt Lock. It's cool, but expen$ive. I like it because there's not another little key to lose. I'm probably leaning this direction.
http://www.boltlock.com/product-spec...pecifications/

Finally, I've seen people use a wire rope bike lock through the tire and around the frame. It's another key to keep track of, so I'm not in love with it.

Hi Lift Mount
I originally intended to mount my Hi Lift on top of the frame like in the picture below. After mocking it up, I really don't want that much extra weight up high on the tire carrier. It would just add a bunch more stress onto everything. It also interfered with my CB antenna. I could move the antenna, but I'd rather not mess with it.

A better option (and recommended by DirtKar below) is to mount it vertically next to the spindle. It's a tight fit at that location, but I think I could make it work.

I'll also need a lock for the Hi Lift, if and when I get it mounted.

Padlock
Even though I bought locking Rotopax mounts, I'd like to have the option of putting a padlock on the arm of the Tire Carrier to keep it from being opened.

The bicycle lock could work here too, but I'm not loving that option.

At this point, my favorite idea is to weld half of a chain loop onto the bumper and weld flat plate with a slot onto the arm. This will be easy to add later.
Attached Images

post #6 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I love how every one of your threads reads like an encyclopedia page. I'm ever impressed with your formatting, content and your ingenuity.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #7 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I love how every one of your threads reads like an encyclopedia page. I'm ever impressed with your formatting, content and your ingenuity.
It's a slow work day

post #8 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nicely done, Sir! Well planned and executed.

I looks like the Hi Lift may fit on the passenger side? You mentioned not implementing it into the plan due to added weight and interference of the cb. It appears both concerns could be relieved by mounting it standing next to the pin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Really nice work! I chose to move my license to inside the spare wheel, I hated trying to fill up while holding the plate down. I wish I had the rotopax carriers. Great job.

92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB

YJOTM. 12/15
post #10 of 20 Old 12-30-2014, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Very nicely done, Sir! Well planned and executed.

I looks like the Hi Lift may fit on the passenger side? You mentioned not implementing it into the plan due to added weight and interference of the cb. It appears both concerns could be relieved by mounting it standing next to the pin?
Yes, great suggestion. Vertically by the spindle would be very strong. Mounting it there will be a little bit of a pain - it'll be a tight fit. But I think I can make it work.

post #11 of 20 Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 PM
SomeGuy509
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried PMing you about a model of this but your inbox was full. Any chance you can send me a solidworks file of it?
post #12 of 20 Old 02-08-2016, 06:03 AM
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work, looks great! What brand are your flat fenders?

My 1990 YJ Build Thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/might-well-start-build-thread-now-my-1990-yj-1291174/
post #13 of 20 Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The front flat fenders are 3" hoodlines from CC Fabs. The rear are CC Fabs, but are for a TJ, which are much larger than their YJ version.

Here's a better shot of them:
Attached Images

post #14 of 20 Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 PM
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
The front flat fenders are 3" hoodlines from CC Fabs. The rear are CC Fabs, but are for a TJ, which are much larger than their YJ version.

Here's a better shot of them:
Never heard of them before but I like them. Did you have to do cutting to put them on?

My 1990 YJ Build Thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/might-well-start-build-thread-now-my-1990-yj-1291174/
post #15 of 20 Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
Never heard of them before but I like them. Did you have to do cutting to put them on?
Please start another thread for the tube fenders, so this doesn't get off topic. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in