Time to replace all the carpet - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-04-2020, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Time to replace all the carpet

The poor Jeep has been subject to too much weather over the last few years as tarps and soft tops have failed. I would like to just jet a full carpet kit to drop in place. I don't see the stock color, which I think was Spice. Any dark brown with do, I guess. So, who makes a good kit ? And... are there alternatives to carpet, now ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 11:37 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any newer affordable kit... its pretty crappy. I bought mine knowing this and not caring.

I monstalined my tub, then a year later bought a crappy rugged ridge kit. Does what it needs to. Gives a homier, cozier touch to the cabin. Just dont expect plushness. If you want plushness and comforts, you're gonna have to buy one of these carpet kits, line the tub with some thick dense foam and really get creative with some car insulating materials off amazon. I have sound deadened in the rear of the jeep, wheel wells, and under/behind the drivers and passenger seats along with over the trans tunnel.

It did help over the winters when you have a hardtop and hard doors on... you can certainly notice a more solid feel to the rickety old YJ. But dont expect the world.

Rugged ridge does offer a tan/sand carpet kit from What I recall when i was ordering mine. Along with a grey.

Or..if you're willing to pay more...check out stockinteriors.
https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoC...31&ModelId=256

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The Wrangler didn't have any plushness or padding when we bought it. It's just very low pile over the metal. I'm just looking to replace it all with what I would consider stock stuff. It's a soft top so it's going to be noisy. If I wanted to try and remove road noise, I would lay down some X-Mat or something, but I think that would be a waste of time and money.

I've seen commercials for the rubber mats that are " custom made to fit your vehicle ! " , but I think they expect you to still have something under them.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 07:16 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

then the world is your oyster.

my cheap rugged ridge kit does what it needed to. Fits pretty well (i was expecting worse).

post #5 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The Rugged Ridge kit is on sale for about $220 ( Normally $240 ). The StockInteriors version is $275. Is it worth the extra $55 ( or $35 if I miss the sale ) ?
post #6 of 17 Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i never used the stock interiors version, but i imagine it's better.

How MUCH better is the question. If you don't care so much, just pocket the money and take the savings.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 10:42 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I replaced my carpets with Herculiner. BEST THING EVER!
spilled coffee or beer.. what doesn't drain can get hosed out.
it's a little louder and in the winter your feet can get cold. But zero maintenance.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
it's a little louder and in the winter your feet can get cold. But zero maintenance.
So, should I rip the carpet out of my Silverado? My wifes Compass? The Integra?

Buy a better coffee mug and quit drinking and driving are my suggestions. Really? You need floor drains for beer? Are you kidding me??? WOW. It explains many of your posts elsewhere. JS.

No carpet or floor mat make for a very hot Jeep. Some topless stuff needs it... Not all vehicles are used the same though.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 07:32 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
im with Boojo on this one.

Plus, if you're going to go that way, Monstaliner is a better choice texture wise.

post #10 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not looking to go mud bogging, so I think I'll not go the bedliner route.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-07-2020, 07:51 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I'm not looking to go mud bogging, so I think I'll not go the bedliner route.
then your options were laid out.

case solved. And i agree... if its not needed, stick with the carpet.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 PM
dshot59
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm not a carpet fan either I took it out and used bed liner mostly to protect the floor from rust . I don't mud bog mine either but I do wheel it so it gets muddy and can be hosed out. In the winter I put rubber floor mats in and cover them with carpet mats I cut to fit in the floor indents where your feet sit. Works good enough and covers the beer drain holes.

When in doubt and you can't figure it out, Stand on it !
post #13 of 17 Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There is a rubber floor liner option that fits in like carpeting. I bought it for the 94 project. I don't remember the brand but will look when I get a chance. It may be a choice for you to consider. No, I have not fitted it to the Jeep yet to give a perfect review yet. But a good product to consider.

You have to remember that moisture can accumulate under whatever you do and cause rot, rust, mildew, whatever. But yet bed liner on floors is hot as hell. etc.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-12-2020, 12:33 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
“Rubber” padding and the $1/sf “Indoor-outdoor” carpet at Home Depot with 3 cans of 77 adhesive to stick it to the padding after you fit everything and you can make a pretty nice carpet system compared to most replacement carpets

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 17 Old 07-13-2020, 09:59 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
“Rubber” padding and the $1/sf “Indoor-outdoor” carpet at Home Depot with 3 cans of 77 adhesive to stick it to the padding after you fit everything and you can make a pretty nice carpet system compared to most replacement carpets
Agreed here.

And cheaper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in