Tie rod clanking. Is this normal? Bad tie rod ends? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tie rod clanking. Is this normal? Bad tie rod ends?

Little info first. I recently (a couple months ago but not many miles ago) installed a RC 2 1/2" lift with new shocks and steering stabilizer. I have the stock pitman arm, and the track bars have been removed. I still have the sway bar intact. I noticed that when turning the steering wheel I get a clanking noise. So I finally got a chance to get under the heep while the wife turned the steering wheel. I found that the tie rod is rotating and causing the clanking. Is this normal? It rotates at the tie rod ends up when the wheel is turned one way, and then down when it is turned the opposite direction. It looks as though it is just rotating at the joint (the knuckle sorry for my newbie terms). Other than that I don't notice any excessive slop or movement in the tie rod. I can grab it with my hand and rotate in up and down but I didn't notice any side to side movement. Are my tie rod ends shot?

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If there is ANY slop up to down,side to side in the tie rods at all,tie rods are bad
post #3 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
SantaAnaSlim
2004 XJ Cherokee 

My tie rod does the same thing. It rotates about 90 degrees when you turn each way. The tie-rod ends are just ball and socket joints, there's nothing to prevent them from rotating. I replaced my tie-rod ends (the ones you can replace) just because I had the front end apart and they're cheap enough. Though my old ones weren't really in bad shape, but the boots were toast. I figured they're not going to get any better, might as well do them. Drop one of the ends and see how it feels. I noticed that mine moved a lot easier than the new ones which were very tight, but they certainly weren't sloppy. You might find that new ends will offer some dampening effect and prevent the rod from clanking. New ends might also prevent it from moving as far as to hit the knuckle. I don't think mine moves that much. The ends are about 30 bucks, but you can't replace them both. Only one end it replaceable, you'd have to replace the whole tie-rod to replace the other end. Stupid design.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
If there is ANY slop up to down,side to side in the tie rods at all,tie rods are bad
I don't believe I actually have any slop. But it will rotate with a little bit of force.

Jason
Quote:
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
post #5 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Umm..your saying the ball part inside the knuckle rotates?..if so,make sure the nut is tight,it should be tight and not rotate.Or if you mean the tie rod just rolls up and down when twisting rod itself,then it's fine because thats the purpose of the tie rod end,to move freely but no "slop" inside it
post #6 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Without movement it wouldn't function. With that said they shouldn't be clunking, if they are when turning, replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
4.7stroker

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine has done it for 3 years since the 4" RE lift.
It is because of the stock pitman arm and the angle of the rod coming off of it.
Either a drop pitman or a knuckle over conversion are needed to correct the angle and prevent the rotation.
I do not think it is causing any harm so I just ignore it until I do some more work on the rig.

Dwayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]
Prevent Flat Tappet Cam Failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[url]

post #8 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Umm..your saying the ball part inside the knuckle rotates?..if so,make sure the nut is tight,it should be tight and not rotate.Or if you mean the tie rod just rolls up and down when twisting rod itself,then it's fine because thats the purpose of the tie rod end,to move freely but no "slop" inside it
The rod rolls up and down when twisting it. It rotates in the same direction when the steering wheel is rotated from right to left.

Jason
Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Then it seems your tie rods are fine,you MAY be mistaking the clunking noise coming from the ball joints or drag link( the rod from the steering box to the tie rod).
also like was stated,you may need to get a drop pitman arm, i think my old one was stock with a 2 1/2" skyjacker when i bought it, but jeeps are all different,some need it,some dont,moody lil girls they are..lol
Another thing to check for the clunking noise,check your steering box while turning,see if there is any movement there or maybe the noise coming from there.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Augy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed the RC 2.5" lift on my '90 YJ. I have the exact same scenario. I'm thinking that since the tie rod (solid piece) and adjustable tie rod end are relatively cheap (and mine have 130,000 miles on them)...I'm just going to replace them. I did a quick search and couldn't find a drop pitman arm that was made for a 2.5" lift but they might be out there.

I'll be curious what you find fixes your clanking. I'll post back with my results.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM
bossind
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is a bushing you can use to fix the rotation. Heres is a link

Poly Bushing for TRE's: JcrOffroad, Inc.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Augy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed 31" tires and the clunking went away. I suspect it has something to do with geometry but thought you might want to know. My old tires were 235/75R15. The ones I just installed are 31x10.5x15.

I will probably be rebuilding the steering before long and may invest in some of those bushings...thanks for the link.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossind View Post
There is a bushing you can use to fix the rotation. Heres is a link

Poly Bushing for TRE's: JcrOffroad, Inc.
I'm not too keen on that idea,looks like an invite for mud and grind to get inside the tie road because you would have to eliminate the rubber protectant boot
post #14 of 14 Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 AM
YJ-Jer

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get an xj/zj pitman arm from a bone yard or an aftermarket drop pitman arm.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/q...8/#post7504147
I got one off a zj and the clunking has disappeared. It puts the drag link and tie rod back to nearly parallel. Ideally I'd put on the high steer but it is just not at the top of the list right now...

-Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in