Testing Fuel pressure regulator 1993 YJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Luuca

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Testing Fuel pressure regulator 1993 YJ

Is there a way to test the pressure regulator on a 1993 4.0 engine? I have a brand new fuel pump and am pumping plenty of fuel up to the rail, but am not getting any past the pressure regulator into the rail. I pulled the pressure regulator and tried blowing air through it but couldnt even blow air through it.

The engine was pulled from a wrecked jeep and put into my cj5. Would really like to bench test the regulator before I spend $40 on a new one if possible. Jeep was running before it was wrecked.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

So on a MPFI engine, the FPR is on the return side and opens or closes based upon the pressure in the rail not coming from the pump. If you are trying to flow fuel from the pump throught he FPR on a MPFI engine, the lines are backwards. If you are not getting any return fuel - important in a return system for cooling the pump in the tank a little - simply go to pick and pull and find any number of them on wrecked chrysler minivans. Same part number and you can get 4 in 15 minutes for less than $10.
Siva283 likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
So on a MPFI engine, the FPR is on the return side and opens or closes based upon the pressure in the rail not coming from the pump. If you are trying to flow fuel from the pump throught he FPR on a MPFI engine, the lines are backwards. If you are not getting any return fuel - important in a return system for cooling the pump in the tank a little - simply go to pick and pull and find any number of them on wrecked chrysler minivans. Same part number and you can get 4 in 15 minutes for less than $10.
Damn, I must have my fuel lines reversed. I have the fuel supply feeding into the inlet that goes directly into the pressure regulator. So you are saying that is wrong?

I put them back on the way i thought made sense.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 01:47 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagner View Post
Damn, I must have my fuel lines reversed. I have the fuel supply feeding into the inlet that goes directly into the pressure regulator. So you are saying that is wrong?

I put them back on the way i thought made sense.
Yes he is in a nutshell. The supply side feeds the rail. The FPR returns the excess pressure to the tank.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Thanks so much for this. I had to change my fuel lines around but the jeep fires right up. Made my day. This is a swap into a cj5 that is getting close to and end. Ran pretty fast cause I didn’t have the hole in the intake plugged where it goes to the brake booster.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Cool. Thanks for posting back.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 03:45 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not to complicate matters, but if you get a TJ style single feed rail, you can basically ditch the return line if you do not have inspections or SMOG inspections in your state.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Not to complicate matters, but if you get a TJ style single feed rail, you can basically ditch the return line if you do not have inspections or SMOG inspections in your state.
Thanks. I have it working right now and that is enough for the time being. haha. But I will keep it in mind for an upgrade.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 12:38 PM
BaumSquadM24
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For the single feed rail, I do believe you still need a return line from your fuel pump. Otherwise your pump will just keep pumping and it will max out at the pumps max pressure and will cause all sorts of problems.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaumSquadM24 View Post
For the single feed rail, I do believe you still need a return line from your fuel pump. Otherwise your pump will just keep pumping and it will max out at the pumps max pressure and will cause all sorts of problems.
2 years ago we eliminated the return line when we did the 4.0 swap by using a complete TJ rail. I did not change the fuel pump. I simply bent the soft return line over on itself and used 2 HD zip ties to keep it closed.

Our YJ has 36 psi at the rail. It has been driven 865 miles nonstop (well fuel and diet coke stops) 4 times since the swap along with daily driven by my daughter to and from work. Not a single fuel issue. 10mm sockets are a different story. They vex her... like most Jeepers

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in