• 2 Post By jbolty
  • 1 Post By timatoe
  • 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-08-2021, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

tech questions: replacing RH front axle seal

Before I get into a job that I've never done, I like to get feedback as to what I'm getting into--deciding to do it myself or have it done.

Right hand side axle seal (disconnect side) is seeping some oil. The bearing and seal were replaced by a shop about 30K miles ago. I believe the bearing is still ok.

Looking at FSM they show special tools but:

Is it the kind of seal replacement that can be done homebrew fixtures....

Does the stub axle just slide out with the universal once the bearing assy is unbolted?

I'm thinking of a piece of plastic pipe to pop the seal into the disconnect housing for removal? is that ok?

Thinking of using threaded rod, big washer and plastic tube (to protect from threads) as a puller to put new seal in place?

Does the axle nut need to be removed? or can the wheel bearing and universal assy be removed from the knuckle as a whole without disturbing that?

Are there surprises?

i have a reliable guy who would do it, but if it's not too crazy I might try it.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 AM
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It can be done, I did mine, wrecked the first seal, but did get it. There are several YouTube videos on it, I would watch that first, then decide if you can do it. FYI, mine was harder to get in straight than they make it look on the videos.

The videos said the inner axle would just pull right out after you removed the CAD and outer axle, but mine didn't seem to want to come out so I did it with it in. Makes for very limited space to work on it though.

My best advice is to make sure it's going in straight before you put too much pressure on it with the threaded rod, cuz yhe seal will just bend. I ended up taking a small punch and lightly tapping on the back of the washer on the very front (side furthest away from the CAD opening) to get mine to go in straight.

You do not need to remove the axle from the bearing assembly, and you can punch the old seal out from the outside toward the inside. Lots of dirt in the axle tube on the outside of that seal so be careful not to get that in the CAD or sealed part of the axle.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 02:04 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's at least one thread on here (old thread and don't remember who wrote it) that shows doing this with a large washer and some all thread.... maybe look through old threads by Mean_Max

FWIW, I fought my D30 for a long time with a slight oil leak at the end of the passenger side tube. I eventually took it in to the local gear guy everyone uses and he kinda laughed at me when I told him everything I'd done. Basically in a nutshell he said once you start wheelin' the D30's they flex to the point you can't keep them leak proof. I quit trying to stop it at that point, I don't know if you can truly fix it or not, I just figured he was enough of an expert to keep me from trying anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 08:13 PM
11-11-11

Garage
Is it the kind of seal replacement that can be done homebrew fixtures....

Does the stub axle just slide out with the universal once the bearing assy is unbolted? YES

I'm thinking of a piece of plastic pipe to pop the seal into the disconnect housing for removal? is that ok?

Thinking of using threaded rod, big washer and plastic tube (to protect from threads) as a puller to put new seal in place?

Does the axle nut need to be removed? or can the wheel bearing and universal assy be removed from the knuckle as a whole without disturbing that? NO YES

Are there surprises? COULD NEVER HAPPEN! /S

i have a reliable guy who would do it, but if it's not too crazy I might try it.[/quote]

Can only help a little: see above.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 09:33 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
FWIW, I fought my D30 for a long time with a slight oil leak at the end of the passenger side tube. I eventually took it in to the local gear guy everyone uses and he kinda laughed at me when I told him everything I'd done. Basically in a nutshell he said once you start wheelin' the D30's they flex to the point you can't keep them leak proof. I quit trying to stop it at that point, I don't know if you can truly fix it or not, I just figured he was enough of an expert to keep me from trying anymore.
Pft. I wheel mine and it doesn't leak a drop. In fact, nothing on my Jeep leaks a drop.

And yes, the fluids are full.

OP, you're spot on. I did mine exactly the way you are thinking of doing yours. However, it really isn't that difficult to just remove both axles shafts. That gives you the option of using a real seal setter and a long rod all the way through the axle to tap on it. However, you'll probably need a helper if you decide to do it that way.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got the axle shaft out (the hub was a real bear to remove--argh)

Anyhow I see why it's leaking (I guess 370K miles does things)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2283.jpg  

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
time for a one piece shaft
timatoe and Awesome like this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One more question: When putting the hub back into the knuckle, is it better to use grease or anti-seize to simplify future removal?

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 12:37 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
One more question: When putting the hub back into the knuckle, is it better to use grease or anti-seize to simplify future removal?
Anti-seize
Awesome likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Anti-seize
thanx

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

here's a question. When the seal goes in, is the stepdown on the inside or the outside? Looking at it, it would seem to belong on the inside (and the chamfer on the shell seems to indicate that) but when I was looking at a video on youtube, it seemed to be going with the stepdown on the outside. That means there is no chamfer at the point where the shell presses in. A bit confused

in the picture, the red is the shell, notice the chamfer on the end, which seems to indicate it should be driven in that direction (almost impossible to line up the shell the other way)
Attached Thumbnails
seal.jpg  

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #12 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 11:43 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
it should go with whichever side has the sealing lip pointing toward the oil. normally there is a spring on the oil side too
Awesome likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in