Taurus Fan Swap, 195 Degree Fan Switch Option? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Taurus Fan Swap, 195 Degree Fan Switch Option?

Hi, in the middle of a fan install and realize I don't have the right 2 stage temperature fan sensor/switch.

I've seen threads which state the Napa FS151 is a common sensor to use, but it seems to switch on at 185. Since my operating temperature (according to the HESCO MPFI kit) is 195 degrees, I assume the fan should switch on at minimum of 195, if not higher for low.

I think the Napa is 185 degrees....does anyone know of a 2 stage switch which has a low of 195....and maybe a high of 215 or so? Thread M22-1.5

Thanks,

Vernors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

What switch do you have now?

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #3 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

FAE 3782

I think it turns off at 185. Since I'm running an MPFI on a 4.2, the operating temperature is 195. The switch I need should turn off at 195 and turn on somewhere above for Low speed, and probably turn on at 215 for High.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernors View Post
FAE 3782

I think it turns off at 185. Since I'm running an MPFI on a 4.2, the operating temperature is 195. The switch I need should turn off at 195 and turn on somewhere above for Low speed, and probably turn on at 215 for High.
I'm PM you my number. Call me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #5 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'll probably try the one I have, but if I can find another which more closely matches my tstat I'd prefer it.

So, since my operating temperature is 195, low speed fan should kick on 195 to 200 and then high speed should kick on 215 or 220.

Hella appears to have one, here is the closest I've currently found.

Hella # 007802041

What is weird are the temps per the spec.

92/102c 95/102c

which is....

Low:
197 On
215 Off

High:
203 On
215 Off

That doesn't seem like a pattern which would make sense since it would be sending an "on" signal for both Low and High at the same time. That wouldn't work with a single fan set up.

ideally I'd like to find one that is about this:

Low
197 On
205 Off

High
206 On
post #6 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of reading here.
I know I got my temp sensor from this thread but I do not remember which one it is.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...cheap-1325896/

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think you're backward about how the cooling fan should work. If it's hot in your room you turn on the A/C. If it keeps getting hotter, you don't turn the A/C off and wait around for someone to bring a bigger one. Same for fan speed. On temperature should be higher than Off temperature.

For a 195 T-stat a good on / off temp for low speed might be 212 on, 205 off. Thermostats are notoriously inaccurate so you should not try to keep engine temperature at exactly the 'stat temperature. A good high speed temperature might be 220 on, 210 off. This gives some overlap time before the high speed fan kicks in again. These numbers don't have to be met exactly, just remember the temperature range, the fact that low speed doesn't exactly match the t-stat, and that high and low speeds do overlap. If you really want to be surprised, note that GM turns the low speed electric fan for the '96 Firehawk on at 226 deg and off at 220. High speed turns on at 233F!
post #8 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 PM
JohnR1

I run a t-bird cooling fan dorman #620-118 which is similar to the Taurus fan and I use a Dakota digital 2 speed fan controller 2750 and it is 100% programmable by you. It reads the temp from the sender and you tell it when you want it on and off. you will need to get a temp sender and two relays to run the fan.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 08:01 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

From page 3 of the thread I posted.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHF...Input=echfs151

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used to mess around with ECM e-fan controllers and have never been happy with them on any of the vehicles I've used. IMO, they all turn on too late and stay on for way too long for my tastes especially when you're primarily using an e-fan without a mechanical fan.

I got one of these and can adjust it to my needs. You just stick the probe in your radiator and dial it to whatever you decide you want. You can run it directly off the battery in case you want the fan to run after your shut the engine off or run it off your ignition so it only runs when the engine is on.
https://www.amazon.com/American-Volt...-1-spons&psc=1

post #11 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 06:10 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just replied in your other post. Its best to create only one thread... otherwise info gets missed...

Beck Arnley 210-1266 on 205ish low speed, 215 ish high speed, off 195 ish. works great . even on a stroker engine have used it on 3 builds ...

Along with a volvo relay.... great set up..
Que89YJ likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #12 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 04:39 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
In all honesty I messed around with a 2 speed switch set up. Never was to my liking. I switched to a flex-a-lite varible speed fan controller and MUCH happier. It has an adjustable temp range and it never "hard starts". It has a ramp rate so your current doesnt spike on start up. Other added bonuses are provisions for killing the fan (water crossing) or manual high speed (ie when a/c is on).
bruinjeeper likes this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #13 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone, I've got all the other parts for the two speed right now, so will give it a try and see how it works out.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernors View Post
Thanks everyone, I've got all the other parts for the two speed right now, so will give it a try and see how it works out.
So, did you ever take Que89YJ up on his offer of personal assistance?

He's the go-to guy for this kind of thing and you should avail yourself of the opportunity he offered.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

post #15 of 19 Old 07-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feetwet View Post
So, did you ever take Que89YJ up on his offer of personal assistance?

He's the go-to guy for this kind of thing and you should avail yourself of the opportunity he offered.
He moved. No longer in Michigan. Talked to him for a while.

The right way for the fan is you have the tstat opening 5 to 10 below the sensor coming on. So the coolant is flowing through the radiator before you turn it on. 195 tstat is too high. The coolant flows, say at 190 the fan kicks on at 195. The temp continues to climb a few degrees above 195 as the fan dies its work. Then the fan effects kick in and it stays on for a while bringing it below the tstat setpoint. You don't want the switch and tstat at the same temp. If they are they will fight each other in function.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NHfireLJ likes this.

Fault codes:

No Start:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in