Talk me out of this please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Talk me out of this please

I've really been thinking about selling my yj and buying a wj with a v8 and settin it on 35s. Please help talk me outta this and give me some reasons why I should or shouldn't. I would like to hear some problems they have. I just lie the look of em and the comforts...But I think I'd end up regretting it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ASK ME ABOUT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 AM
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

10 characters

post #3 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Come on lol I need some reasons dude

ASK ME ABOUT

post #4 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM
ExNeph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have kids?

Jeep owned for over 1 year.

Parts broken/blown up: Engine, clutch, transmission synchros, wheel joint, wheel bearing, front driveshaft u-joints, front shaft oil seal, radiator, water pump, belt, passenger door latch, cat-back exhaust system, front fender flares, front axle seal, transfer case output seal, rear driveshaft u-joints, parking brake..
post #5 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 AM
jsahara24
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what about the blend doors in the hvac system? don't they always break?

99' Jeep Cherokee Sport
07' Toyota Matrix
post #6 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nah. I'm 19. I'm just weird

ASK ME ABOUT
post #7 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I guess it depends on what you are using it for. The YJ cost to repair and mod compared to the WJ is much much cheaper. Take a look at what body sheetmetal cost alone. If your looking at stock comfort and capability the then the WJ is a really good vehicle. My .02 ....get the WJ and keep the YJ.
post #8 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I do like the comforts. But I enjoy taking the top off. I'd live the coil suspension but parts are more expensive for the wj. I like the looks of the wj more but I love the apathy i can show towards my yj. Everything has a trade off. I just think the yj i have is built well and I know it's done right, I should probably hang onto it. I'm just being childish and fickle. I just love the way wjs look. That's the main reason I wanna trade off. And it's not very practical for me to swap. I mean I haven't even taken my yj offroad really since I lifted it.

ASK ME ABOUT
post #9 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 AM
ExNeph
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't have kids, nix the WJ. Yeah, they're nice, they're comfortable.. But the YJ cool factor rises above it. Besides, if you really like just the comfort, why don't you take your YJ seats and swap something else in? It's not that hard.. Aside from that, look at the pros and cons.

YJ:
Pros:
It's cool.
Removable Hard/Soft top and doors.
Bouncy!
Shorter Wheelbase = more fun.
Suspension/body lifts are easier.
Parts always readily available (Often found in the woods).
Less interior parts to worry about.
This forum rocks.

Cons:
It's cold.
Might be TOO bouncy.
Windshield seal sometimes leaks and you find your floormats floating in a pool of water after a rain, you don't notice, hop in, and get soaked.
Rust.
Heater (Hit or miss, might work, might not.)
Your girlfriend/fianceť/wife might not like the ride or getting in it.
Backseat might not be big enough (See above)
AIRBAGS?!

WJ
Pros:
Great for groceries.
Does the heat work? Let's say it does.
It's.. Uhm.. It's a Jeep.
Oh! You can turn it into a SUBARUBIGRAND!
AIRBAGS?!
Not as bouncy?

Cons:
More plastic.
Can't remove the top.
V8 = More gas money.
Not as bouncy.
You won't visit this forum much.
Less cool.
More interior parts to worry about.

See, I don't know much about the WJs, other than the fact that they make great grocery getters.

Jeep owned for over 1 year.

Parts broken/blown up: Engine, clutch, transmission synchros, wheel joint, wheel bearing, front driveshaft u-joints, front shaft oil seal, radiator, water pump, belt, passenger door latch, cat-back exhaust system, front fender flares, front axle seal, transfer case output seal, rear driveshaft u-joints, parking brake..
post #10 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The wj just looks awesome. And I'd love to have a full size suv with a bunch of cool **** like a roof rack and some 33s-35s and a nice interior. My gf loves the yj. But i'd love coil suspension and more room. I know lifting it would cost more but honestly I think the wj would be more capable after it was built. I'd like to keep my yj and part out the stuf I don't want and put my axles and tires and **** into a wj...but the yj is just so rugged and manly lol. I think I'm gonna take my back seat out of the tj and have the extra space...there just so much I wanna do.

ASK ME ABOUT
post #11 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Bowfin
1992 YJ Wrangler 

WJ- new car taxes, new car full coverage insurance (your 19, not cheap), payments

YJ- cheap taxes, cheap to insure, paid for ?, already built the way you like it

'92 Black YJ 4.0, 5spd, hard-top

My favorite color on my Jeep is mud ;D
post #12 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So true ^ I think I need to just chill out with this wj crap...I'm being stupid.

ASK ME ABOUT
post #13 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
ZeroGravity

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can use my angle grinder on any part of my YJ without thinking twice about it.

91 YJ
98 XJ
2 door love
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
post #14 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
provinT13

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dude if you're posting in the yj section asking us to tell you why not to do it, I think you already know. But if I have to answer your question here it goes

Yj- easy to work on, short wheelbase, cheap

Wj- a minivan, long wheelbase, expensive, but ohhhhh it's got air conditioning.......

Seriously, what's there to compare? You see wj's stock driving around because they're made for their comforts, you see yj's built, because that's what there made for. Get a cheap xj if you're looking for comforts. Parts aren't all that expensive, they've got some comforts to them, and can be bought for pretty cheap.

2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

post #15 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Sidewinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just love the wj looks built. I'm being dumb I guess. Thanks guys

ASK ME ABOUT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in