Tailgate strut or stop for a YJ? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 9Dark6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
9Dark6

Tailgate strut or stop for a YJ?

Hey guys,

I'm interested in putting a tailgate strut on my '95 YJ and I'd like to know a little more about it from anyone who has done it.

I'm interested in something to keep the tailgate from closing if the jeep is on any kind of incline and I'd prefer something to where I can just open and close the tailgate without having any screws, snaps, clips, etc. if possible.

The one I like best is the Hoodlift Rear Tailgate Strut on Morris4x4center.com. It appears to be just plug and play, you can open the tailgate and there are no release clips, or anything like that, to disengage for it to close. The only hang ups I have are: will it hold open a tailgate with a spare tire on it, and does the strut sit flush against the tailgate when closed?

There's also a Tailgate Gas Strut from Rampage that runs $33-$45 from different vendors. It says it only fits 07-10 JK however I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit a YJ really? I don't like that is has a clip to hold it open, but the benefit is that it would keep the tailgate from closing under the weight of the tire. I'm also curious if it would remain flush to the tailgate when closed. It's a good bit cheaper then the Hoodlift but fitment may be an issue.

Last is the Stainless Steel Tailgate Stopper that runs about $40 and is pretty much manual, you open the tailgate and screw it in place to lock it openl The benefit is it's going to work but it may be a pain to fool with if you have your hands full for some reason.

I'd be interested in yalls input if anyone has installed one of these products before, or if anyone has a different device/solution to keeping the tailgate open.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2020, 03:03 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have the original Tail Gate Door Slide Strap Tailgate Check Part # 55074905

You can see it on this Mopar parts breakdown, # 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Here:https://parts.hendrickdodge.com/a/Je...E/WD87260.html

They were installed on earlier YJ's and discontinued on later models.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #3 of 8 Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
9Dark6

Thanks for the info Chris, how well does it perform?

post #4 of 8 Old 06-02-2020, 07:27 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dark6 View Post
Thanks for the info Chris, how well does it perform?
It works fine. It does keep the tailgate open on an incline or with wind.
Chrysler probably eliminated them to save a few bucks. All YJ tailgates are pre-threaded for them. You can see it on yours. And it has a black plastic box around it. Those are the screws in the tailgate... for no reason. They are there to cover the threaded holes.

You can probably find them on ebay or used Jeep parts salvage. I think they are only on AMC models.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #5 of 8 Old 06-02-2020, 07:31 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the parts are still available at this dealership. Pretty amazing if they are!

post #6 of 8 Old 06-02-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
9Dark6

Thanks man, I saw you could still purchase it from the mopar link you posted. I have seen the plastic cover on my tailgate for it, I thought it was for some kind of interior light sensor. I'll dig around and see if I can find one
Chrisnvegas likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If the Mopar part that @Chrisnvegas suggested turns up to be unavailable (which some of these NOS mopar parts do.... I just went through this for the past year trying to find KDX mirrors for my 87) I would next look into a simple shock that is used on RV camper doors. They are very universal and come in different poundages or rates. When they are turned out to 90 degrees like when your gate is open, it takes some force to begin to close them. You are probably going to want one on the stiffer side. I do not remember the rates
or poundages they are available in but there is a variety of this stuff available. You have to search and determine the length closed and open and the poundage or force to move it. My camper had one that was way to strong on it from the factory. If you opened the door and just let it go on its own it would slam out so hard to its 90 degree position that it would break the plastic cups on the end where it mounted on the ball sockets that mount it. Did some research and found a suitable replacement on the cheap.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Autozone sells different gas struts like Boojo is talking about. They have a whole section of them.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in