Suspension Lift Project - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbolty
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-12-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
mikwallace
Member
 
mikwallace's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 301
Suspension Lift Project

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Superlift Suspension lift kit with 3.5” lift. Looks like I’ll re-rig the complete setup of the suspension. I currently have 3” body lift . Picture below. The measurement in the pic shows 2 3/4” because I cut 1/4” off to allow for the rock sliders. I plan on reducing the spacer by 50%, but will see how everything looks first.
img_0558.jpg

The front shackles are boomerang style and are 6”, which yields 1” of lift.

img_0560.jpg

And rear shackles look like homemade? They’re 5 1/2” which yields 3/4” lift.

img_0559.jpg

Should I consider going back to stock length shackles? Or should I keep the front boomerang style and put new boomerangs on the back that will match front shackle lift?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikwallace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 05:12 AM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Superlift Suspension lift kit with 3.5” lift. Looks like I’ll re-rig the complete setup of the suspension. I currently have 3” body lift . Picture below. The measurement in the pic shows 2 3/4” because I cut 1/4” off to allow for the rock sliders. I plan on reducing the spacer by 50%, but will see how everything looks first.
Attachment 3939787

The front shackles are boomerang style and are 6”, which yields 1” of lift.

Attachment 3939789

And rear shackles look like homemade? They’re 5 1/2” which yields 3/4” lift.

Attachment 3939791

Should I consider going back to stock length shackles? Or should I keep the front boomerang style and put new boomerangs on the back that will match front shackle lift?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I run one inch boom shackles front and rear. The higher are lift springs need a shackle with more travel since as the compress they get considerably longer.

That body lift though cut that thing way day you really dont want more than an inch and even then thats a good bit of leverage on those mounts
Siva283 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 12:04 PM
cpia84
Registered User
 
cpia84's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Goldsboro
Posts: 707
Garage
I understand you bought the lift kit but how much of the "kit" do you actually need. What shocks does it come with? Personally I would remove the entire body lift and buy a kit that replaces the entire portion, but that is me. Also I would definitely replace those rear shackles. A boom shackle with a center bolt is a good option, you will hear mixed theories with regards to that but the results i have seen and experienced say there isnt an issue using a boom shackle. Also when it comes time to install your new springs and shocks be sure to soak all the bolts for a few days prior, our Jeeps arent spring chickens anymore and some lubrication will always be a great additive.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cpia84 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
mikwallace
Member
 
mikwallace's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I run one inch boom shackles front and rear. The higher are lift springs need a shackle with more travel since as the compress they get considerably longer.

That body lift though cut that thing way day you really dont want more than an inch and even then thats a good bit of leverage on those mounts

When you say 1” boom shackles, I assume you’re talking about 6” shackles which would yield 1” of shackle lift?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikwallace is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
mikwallace
Member
 
mikwallace's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
I understand you bought the lift kit but how much of the "kit" do you actually need. What shocks does it come with? Personally I would remove the entire body lift and buy a kit that replaces the entire portion, but that is me. Also I would definitely replace those rear shackles. A boom shackle with a center bolt is a good option, you will hear mixed theories with regards to that but the results i have seen and experienced say there isnt an issue using a boom shackle. Also when it comes time to install your new springs and shocks be sure to soak all the bolts for a few days prior, our Jeeps arent spring chickens anymore and some lubrication will always be a great additive.

Yes the kit is complete with shocks that provide the necessary strut for the lift kit. However, if I have additional lift created by the shackles, will that create problems for the shock full extension? That’s why I’m asking about the shackles. I replaced all suspension bushings, body bushings (including the 3” body lift spacers) about 2 years ago and haven’t wheeled much so the bolt/nut removal won’t be a problem. The reason I went back with the 3” body lift was, at the time I didn’t know what I wanted on it for a lift. That’s why it’s taken so long for me to finally pull the trigger on the suspension lift. I know I’ll cut the body lift about 50%, maybe even more? Back to my original question: what considerations should I make for my shackles setup with the 3.5” suspension lift?

Here’s a link to the kit:


https://superlift.com/3-5in-jeep-lif...rangler/2-door


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikwallace is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 12:49 PM
cpia84
Registered User
 
cpia84's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Goldsboro
Posts: 707
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post
Yes the kit is complete with shocks that provide the necessary strut for the lift kit. However, if I have additional lift created by the shackles, will that create problems for the shock full extension? That’s why I’m asking about the shackles. I replaced all suspension bushings, body bushings (including the 3” body lift spacers) about 2 years ago and haven’t wheeled much so the bolt/nut removal won’t be a problem. The reason I went back with the 3” body lift was, at the time I didn’t know what I wanted on it for a lift. That’s why it’s taken so long for me to finally pull the trigger on the suspension lift. I know I’ll cut the body lift about 50%, maybe even more? Back to my original question: what considerations should I make for my shackles setup with the 3.5” suspension lift?

Here’s a link to the kit:


https://superlift.com/3-5in-jeep-lif...rangler/2-door


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adding boom shackles is not a negative, if you look at the link you send me, the red YJ has front boom shackles.

Looking at the kit there are some things you wont need. The bushings wont be needed since you got new ones, the trackbar relocation bracket isnt needed because if you haven't yet take out the trackbars, and the same thing goes for the sway bar and links. The bump stops should be good. I would look at a u-bolt flip for the rear at minimum, what rear axle do you have?

To answer your question a 5/8" boom shackle lift will do a lot of good for you. I have the kit from M.O.R.E.

Here are a few pictures of my shackles:
82841c2d-e4ab-4ffa-85b1-f4a2ee4d2316_1573527728526.jpg 20200208-jeep-front-end-complete.jpg


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cpia84 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 12:57 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 8,787
Agree with @cpia84 ... we're talking a matter of half an inch to 5/8s. It wont adversely affect your shock collapse or extended lengths too too much.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-13-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
mikwallace
Member
 
mikwallace's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Adding boom shackles is not a negative, if you look at the link you send me, the red YJ has front boom shackles.

Looking at the kit there are some things you wont need. The bushings wont be needed since you got new ones, the trackbar relocation bracket isnt needed because if you haven't yet take out the trackbars, and the same thing goes for the sway bar and links. The bump stops should be good. I would look at a u-bolt flip for the rear at minimum, what rear axle do you have?

To answer your question a 5/8" boom shackle lift will do a lot of good for you. I have the kit from M.O.R.E.

Here are a few pictures of my shackles:
Attachment 3940001 Attachment 3940003

I’ve the stock axles. And I’m undecided on the track bars and sway bar. A lot has been discussed on this forum reference trac bars and the sway bar. I may keep them for a while, then take them out for comparison.

Will also read more about the U-bolt flip. Is the only advantage is that it keeps the bolts/nuts free from damage due to hitting obstacles?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikwallace is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 AM
cpia84
Registered User
 
cpia84's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Goldsboro
Posts: 707
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Adding boom shackles is not a negative, if you look at the link you send me, the red YJ has front boom shackles.

Looking at the kit there are some things you wont need. The bushings wont be needed since you got new ones, the trackbar relocation bracket isnt needed because if you haven't yet take out the trackbars, and the same thing goes for the sway bar and links. The bump stops should be good. I would look at a u-bolt flip for the rear at minimum, what rear axle do you have?

To answer your question a 5/8" boom shackle lift will do a lot of good for you. I have the kit from M.O.R.E.

Here are a few pictures of my shackles:
Attachment 3940001 Attachment 3940003

I’ve the stock axles. And I’m undecided on the track bars and sway bar. A lot has been discussed on this forum reference trac bars and the sway bar. I may keep them for a while, then take them out for comparison.

Will also read more about the U-bolt flip. Is the only advantage is that it keeps the bolts/nuts free from damage due to hitting obstacles?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since you are installing a suspension lift I would go ahead and swap out the rear axle for a 95-01 Ford Explorer 8.8 axle. They are readily available, very affordable, strong and durable axles, especially for a mild to moderate wheeler. It will give you piece of mind when you increase tire size and it just far superior to the Dana 35. Even if you stay primary on the road and go on small trails I would make the swap.

As far as the u-bolt flip yes it protects the bolt threads and nuts from getting damaged. It will cost you maybe $20 for brackets from an early 2000 Chevy truck or suburban and then $20-40 for the squared u-bolts. For piece of mind that is well worth it.

With regards to the sway bars and trac bars, just remove them. Heck do it now. Drive it around and you will feel how the suspension isn’t fighting itself. The trac bar was new on the YJs and for the leaf spring setup we have they are not needed. Same with the sway bars, the Jeep as a whole feels like a better ride. After you’ve tested it for a while and agree about keeping them removed then go ahead and cut off the old brackets. It will give you more room for future mods and will give a more cleaner appearance.

Hope all of that info helps.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cpia84 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2020, 05:45 AM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikwallace View Post
When you say 1” boom shackles, I assume you’re talking about 6” shackles which would yield 1” of shackle lift?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct
Siva283 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 8,197
Garage
Ubolt flip /may/ stop “thread damage“ but that is just a side effect. Ubolt flips stop you from getting hung up on them off road and is the only practical reason I can think of to do it. That it protects the nuts is secondary

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 10-16-2020, 01:09 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 8,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Ubolt flip /may/ stop “thread damage“ but that is just a side effect. Ubolt flips stop you from getting hung up on them off road and is the only practical reason I can think of to do it. That it protects the nuts is secondary
Well there is always a warm and fuzzy feeling of incorporating junkyard parts into your build as a tertiary reason.

Maybe it's just me.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,504
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Well there is always a warm and fuzzy feeling of incorporating junkyard parts into your build as a tertiary reason.

Maybe it's just me.
I go out of my way to include junkyard parts whenever possible. Last count I had stuff from these cars:

AMC
dodge
chevy
gmc
cadillac
jaguar
nissan
gmc
ford
peterbilt
kenworth
pontiac
lincoln
cpia84 likes this.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-16-2020, 02:31 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 8,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Well there is always a warm and fuzzy feeling of incorporating junkyard parts into your build as a tertiary reason.

Maybe it's just me.
I go out of my way to include junkyard parts whenever possible. Last count I had stuff from these cars:

AMC
dodge
chevy
gmc
cadillac
jaguar
nissan
gmc
ford
peterbilt
kenworth
pontiac
lincoln
Awesome.line up.


Plus... we're cheap haha.

The only issue up here is the real parts off real vehicles are slim pickings because of the climate. They rotted away years ago

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruinjeeper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome