Subwoofer Box.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
blowsox13

Subwoofer Box....

Hi, i want to get rid of my current subwoofers. Right now i have two tens which have a box that takes up the whole back of my jeep. I wanna buy one twelve, but i would like to see if anyone has a picture of this? Or knows of an enclosure that would fit? Because i believe the current enclosure i have is custom made, and i might have trouble finding one that fits. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
lordmatt

I have a box for one sub sitting in the backyard rotting.
Has been for about 4 months or so.
Subs are almost worthless in a jeep... it'll get stolen like no other.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 12:19 PM
xeon

I am going to be running a single downfacing sub. I will take all this out when wheeling but I need some tunes when driving...

I am custom making my box so it fits and it wont get stolen because its going to be bolted to the floor and I am going to put mdf on the top of the wheel wells so its like an instra trunk thing. So I can lock up my tool boxes and stuff. When I get the plans finished and all built I will probally post something. Hope this helps!

88YJ, 350TBI, 700R4, Atlas 4.3, HP60, 14B (At a mall near you)
Tri-State (NJ-NY-PA) 4x4 Wheeling Group

post #4 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
blowsox13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmatt
I have a box for one sub sitting in the backyard rotting.
Has been for about 4 months or so.
Subs are almost worthless in a jeep... it'll get stolen like no other.

Ah, i'm glad you decided to give me your pessimistic input. But my experience has been quite the contrary to yours. You must live in some sort of flea infested ghetto. I have had my two subs in my JEEP for over 6 years, and i am glad to report, nothing has EVER been stolen from my ride. Good day pig, i look forward to your reply.
post #5 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
blowsox13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon
I am going to be running a single downfacing sub. I will take all this out when wheeling but I need some tunes when driving...

I am custom making my box so it fits and it wont get stolen because its going to be bolted to the floor and I am going to put mdf on the top of the wheel wells so its like an instra trunk thing. So I can lock up my tool boxes and stuff. When I get the plans finished and all built I will probally post something. Hope this helps!
Thanks, i would like to look in to building a box myself but i don't even know where to start.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowsox13
Ah, i'm glad you decided to give me your pessimistic input. But my experience has been quite the contrary to yours. You must live in some sort of flea infested ghetto. I have had my two subs in my JEEP for over 6 years, and i am glad to report, nothing has EVER been stolen from my ride. Good day pig, i look forward to your reply.

Another teenage turd talking smack.
post #7 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Stiffler

come on now, stuff can get stoeln wherever you live, doesn't matter if you live in the highlands with million dollar homes, or down in the projects..Theives are everywhere unfortuantely, and i would suggest bolting the boxes down also.
post #8 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 02:46 PM
robertdjung

I'll post some pics of my sub later today. I've custom-made two boxes for a single 8", and it's really a pretty good sound. The first lasted about 3 years until the sub blew from deterioration, and I decided to make a new box since the last was finally deteriorating as well and wouldn't last much longer. I took no measures to protect

It's mounted behind my Tuffy console. The dimensions are roughly 10 x 10 x 8. I took angle brackets and screwed them into the box and through the tub. Half the box mounts to the tub, half hangs over the lower part of the tub. Yes, it can get wet. No, I don't care. I bought the sub (Punch) for about 60 bucks on the net. At that price it's a disposable.

Use good wood. I used birch plywood, 1/2 or 3/4" inch, can't recall. Just make sure there's enough to use. On the new box I used a lot of liquid nails. Pre drill the holes and then I filled them with liquid nails before screwing it together. I also coated the joints with liquid nails before assembling. I'll also paint the new one with a few coats since that will help it hold up to the weather.

It sits flush between my Tuffy lockbox and the back seat. The benefit of this is that two people can still sit in the back seat and put their legs on either side of the box. I painted my first one black to blend with the Tuffy, so it would be non chalant. Since I didn't cover it in that speaker-box-looking carpet, it looks (to me, anyway) like a piece of the console.

Last edited by robertdjung; 12-31-2004 at 02:13 AM.
post #9 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
lordmatt

Actually, my subs never got stolen.
You never said whether you had a hardtop or softtop, and you're assuming thieves are stupid. If a thief sees a box in the back of a softtop, they'll know it's for a sub... and it'll get stolen.

I would've been more than willing to give you pics of my box (it was made for one 12"), and specs for the size, but since you're being such an arrogant dickhead, you can figure it out yourself. Enjoy.
post #10 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 03:36 PM
lordmatt

Quote:
Quote:
Under 18 Jeep club member #11
Btw, it's good to know that you've been driving since you were 12.

Silly little boy. Grow up.
post #11 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
blowsox13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmatt
Btw, it's good to know that you've been driving since you were 12.

Silly little boy. Grow up.

Friend, the jeep was owned by a family friend prior to me.
post #12 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 PM
BeatAChevy289

He he, this is fun ^. How about another adult's input. I ran two 10" sony's for about a year and they didn't get stolen. But that was probably because I made to box look like crap so nobody would think it was worht taking. I laminated all sides except the top which I left as bare, stressed plywood. I blew them and went without them for about three months or so. Three days ago I went to Hhgregg and got the MTX hatchback 10" system. Two tens in a sealed box for $88. They sound fantastic, better than the $120 sony subs I had and bought without a box. I have the MTX's sitting in my back seat for the moment. When top down time rolls back around in the spring, I will build a single 10" box that I can put behind the seat and just store the new box and extra sub until winter. They are pretty worthless with the top down though...I run a tonneau over the summer months and it makes it hit hard and keep people from knowing they are there when it is parked. I would definately reccomend a 10" sub though for being a little cheaper and not taking up as much space. I have a shock sensor security system too so that helps with the whole theft thing. That and I am a Minister so I have a bunch of Bible's laying around, that may deter people also. Whatever, grow up chidren! JK, Later <><

1995 Firebird Formula, 6-speed, LT1 V8, t-tops, open exhaust. **In the For Sale section***
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(different from the other link)
post #13 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
blowsox13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAChevy289
He he, this is fun ^. How about another adult's input. I ran two 10" sony's for about a year and they didn't get stolen. But that was probably because I made to box look like crap so nobody would think it was worht taking. I laminated all sides except the top which I left as bare, stressed plywood. I blew them and went without them for about three months or so. Three days ago I went to Hhgregg and got the MTX hatchback 10" system. Two tens in a sealed box for $88. They sound fantastic, better than the $120 sony subs I had and bought without a box. I have the MTX's sitting in my back seat for the moment. When top down time rolls back around in the spring, I will build a single 10" box that I can put behind the seat and just store the new box and extra sub until winter. They are pretty worthless with the top down though...I run a tonneau over the summer months and it makes it hit hard and keep people from knowing they are there when it is parked. I would definately reccomend a 10" sub though for being a little cheaper and not taking up as much space. I have a shock sensor security system too so that helps with the whole theft thing. That and I am a Minister so I have a bunch of Bible's laying around, that may deter people also. Whatever, grow up chidren! JK, Later <><

I am most likely going to get Sony XPLODS.... and when you say that a 10 is the best option for saving space, i am going to get a 12 and i was wondering if that would be deeper also?? And also if you know of any online write ups for building your own sub box...
post #14 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 07:39 PM
BudmanV6

Sony's are a waste of your time and money, theyr'e called xplod for a reason, they always sound like theyr'e going to explode, and that is if they haven't already. You can pick up really nice Rockford fosgate subs on ebay for cheap, I got my 10 inch punch HX2 for like $90 and it'll handle 500rms. But you can get HE2's (400rms), HE's (200rms, and Z's (150rms) for cheap since rockford made changes to their product line. I have owned Punch Z's, Punch HE's, and now the Punch HX2, and all were wonderfull subs, pushed to their max, and never died. My suggestion is to bolt your amp or amps under your back seat and then get one of those 2-3 inch adjustable masterlocks with a couple of notches from home depot, and then you can actually lock the back seat so it won't fold forewards. Then, although this takes some work, build a downfiring box for one 10 inch sub under your drivers seat. Once everything is bolted down a thief would have to be insane to try and steal the stuff, about as insane as anyone that would try to steal the dash speakers. I have also seen center consoles on ebay that were nicely made and held one 12 inch sub I think. But, in my opinion a jeep has too small of an air volume for a twelve to sound right, leave them for the escalades and big suv's. Big subs don't sound nice in small cars, just -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=ty and really loud, and not a good loud. What you need to remember is that a sub's "loudness" is equal to its displacement (diameter x total excursion) x power input. So my one 10 powered off the 501bd that I have that puts out a little over 600 watts rms would be louder than a lower quality 12 on say 400 watts. Also remeber to match ypur ohm loads, or you'll waste half your power. And also, you might want to be a little nicer on these forums, I know you were slightly atacked first, but I saw your one post about removing your stripes a long time ago and still remember your attitude. If you need any more advice on car audio just ask, and I'll help you out. Regardles of whether you have a hardtop, which I know you do, or a soft top, you want to keep your audio equipment hidden. Its actually easier to tap a glass window with a key and bust it out than to have to carry around a knife and hack through a vinyl window.
post #15 of 36 Old 12-30-2004, 08:53 PM
4x4punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV6
So my one 10 powered off the 501bd that I have that puts out a little over 600 watts rms would be louder than a lower quality 12 on say 400 watts.
My one 12 inch XXX is louder than your 10 and those 2 crappy 12's ....

Just kidding, im not being an ***... Hes right, the key to keeping audio stuff is hide it, and/or bolt it down. My system in my opinion is pretty secure and sounds nice. I took out my back seat, bolted the box down, and installed a "trunk" which i use during the summer months topless. My amp is mounted in there (barley takes up room, plenty of space for other stuff) , and its locked with a master lock. Ill try to take pics. Because my method was some what custom, you could change it to suit your needs or install.

93 YJ Sahara 4.0
:D
BDS 3.5 | 31/10.5/15 Interco TrXs M/T's | Optima YellowTop | HO ALT | Firepower Ignition | 12 REXXX | Flowmater 40 Series | Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in