STRONG Exhaust Fumes. Cure? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
BonkiOne1

STRONG Exhaust Fumes. Cure?

I recently bought an ‘89 Islander that is in really good shape, with only 108,000 miles on it.... There’s no rust on the frame or floorboards, and there’s only very minor rust anywhere else on the body- with none of it having gone through any of the sheet metal. I don’t know where it would be coming in from, as I’ve put new seals on all of the doors, including the tailgate. It runs well, but when I drive it- the exhaust fumes drive me bananas after about 10 minutes.The exhaust manifold looks brand new and doesn’t sound like it’s leaking- and none of the bolts are loose anywhere on the system. I don’t see smoke coming from the tailpipe, but the fumes are excessive. Could it be running a little rich? I had a TJ and a JK for a while but this is my first Jeep after owning a couple of Rams for the past 8 years. Is this exhaust thing just something I’m gonna have to get used to with the YJ? It has the 4.2L inline 6. Most of the bolt on parts have been replaced in the past year, as the engine was recently rebuilt, along with the 5 speed transmission. Anyone know of a quick fix or have a diagnosis of what may be a common problem with this particular Wrangler incarnation? I love this Jeep, otherwise, but it’s not much fun to drive it for more than a few miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 01:24 PM
3VLWMN
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm curious about this one too. Have a 92 with the 2.5 and I can tell how it's running by the flavor of the exhaust fumes!..... There's no Cat, so I'm thinking the joints where it was or the random filler pipe is a different diameter. I'm gonna add some muffler repair goop and re-secure them with an impact driver Maybe it has to do with the last header stud missing/broken off.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 01:42 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ya... it has to do with both the missing cat and the broken stud at the block

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 04:53 PM
UPStrades
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My fume remedy for my 4.0 was adding a cat back into my exhaust. Which welcomed some quieter tones from my muffler. I still have a slight smell but that's probably because I'm running diesel engine oil with the high zinc content.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 PM
mrit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have the stock design tailpipe? It should curve down at the end. When I bought my Wrangler the exhaust pointed straight back and had really bad fumes, I replaced it with the stock design and it is much better. The only time I smell it now is at a stoplight with the top off.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 08:58 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You should not have to live with it. Something is definitely wrong. Usually a leak can be identified pretty easily by black soot after a joint in the pipe. As mrit mentioned the exhaust will recirculate back into the jeep with certain tail pipe configurations.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in