Stock Leaf Springs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
rpwils

Stock Leaf Springs

Hi Everyone, I just recently bought a 1995 Jeep and it will need a lot of TLC. I was looking to put stock leaf springs and shocks on but wanted to check with you all on what you recommend. I did not want to get into a lift kit etc. But what pounds and brands would you recommend.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
rpwils

To add to this question, I see the have regular and heavy duty springs. My jeep is the 4.0, would the heavy duty springs be really rough?
post #3 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 12:24 PM
UPStrades

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should account for your setup. Full doors, hardtop, soft top half doors etc. Spring rate should be rated for the weight.

post #4 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 01:43 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
what he said ^^

but for stock, zero lift these are decent and fairly cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or go with old man emu for a 2" lift. you will not have to change anything else except maybe remove the track bars

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
rpwils

any opinion on going with something like this? Complete OME YJ Wrangler Suspensions:
Includes everything listed above except Ubolts and shackles. heavy duty.

rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-yj.html
post #6 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 10:40 PM
UPStrades

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwils View Post
any opinion on going with something like this? Complete OME YJ Wrangler Suspensions:
Includes everything listed above except Ubolts and shackles. heavy duty.

rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-yj.html

I love my old man emu kit. Rides way better than rough country that's for sure. Some people say it rides better than stock but im not sure about that because i remember when my yj was stock with monroe shocks, rode pretty decent.

Now my jeep is too soft if I'm being picky. Debating on adding the sway bar to stiffen it up just a tad, or changing out my shackles.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 02:29 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPStrades View Post
I love my old man emu kit. Rides way better than rough country that's for sure. Some people say it rides better than stock but im not sure about that because i remember when my yj was stock with monroe shocks, rode pretty decent.

Now my jeep is too soft if I'm being picky. Debating on adding the sway bar to stiffen it up just a tad, or changing out my shackles.
No sway bar, no shackles. What you are talking about is the very thing shocks do. See if your shocks are even working. Pull the bottom end and see if they are blown.

OME 37R springs are the softest, least lift springs. It will be taller than stock but not enough to change the geometry. The ride will still feel stock but with a more healthy look. You can still run a stock tire size without looking goofy or you can go up in size comfortably.
AVOID the OME shocks unless you like a stiff ride. For shocks I like Skyjacker Hydro 7000. They are a good budget shock for less than half the price of OME Sport shocks.

I also recommend changing the rear ujoints whenever making any changes to the ride height. They wear to a specific ride height and will probably wear faster if you make changes. It could also cause vibration.
Who wants to lose the rear driveshaft on the freeway? I like excitement, but not that kind.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #8 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
rpwils

Thanks everyone! I was trying to stay away from lifting it but still wanted to upgrade the ride. Do you have any experience with omix-ada springs and shocks?

4wd.com/b/suspension-and-shocks/suspension-components/leaf-springs/stock-height-direct-replacemnt/_/N-cm0hiZ1z0w2cv
post #9 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 08:18 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nope.
OME 37R springs are the softest riding springs I've ever seen. When it comes to springs, from my experience, buy cheap springs, get cheap springs.
You may have a different tolerance for ride quality than me. I've been through 3 sets because of ride quality issues. It doesn't bother everyone like me.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #10 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't mean that ^^ in a condescending way.
We all really do have different ideas on what makes a tolerable ride.
For instance, I LIKE the ride of an old Buick. Many people do not.

However, Jeeps (and trucks) I trail ride with can't keep up with me on trails. My Jeep absorbs bumps very well for a Jeep. It's almost ATV-like. Washboards have almost no effect on my Jeep.

It depends on what you're looking for.

post #11 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 05:22 PM
UPStrades

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPStrades View Post

No sway bar, no shackles. What you are talking about is the very thing shocks do. See if your shocks are even working. Pull the bottom end and see if they are blown.

OME 37R springs are the softest, least lift springs. It will be taller than stock but not enough to change the geometry. The ride will still feel stock but with a more healthy look. You can still run a stock tire size without looking goofy or you can go up in size comfortably.
AVOID the OME shocks unless you like a stiff ride. For shocks I like Skyjacker Hydro 7000. They are a good budget shock for less than half the price of OME Sport shocks.

I also recommend changing the rear ujoints whenever making any changes to the ride height. They wear to a specific ride height and will probably wear faster if you make changes. It could also cause vibration.
Who wants to lose the rear driveshaft on the freeway? I like excitement, but not that kind.

We've had this discussion before my friend. Im also running skyjacker hydro shocks (1 year old) i just prefer a firmer ride. All this is just temporary since im still sua. The goal is full width soa eventually.

Not to thread hijack but at least the OP can gather more info on the many setups that's possible.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 07:40 PM
kweinstein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hi Chris,

Do you have any pics with the OME 37R springs? I have stock springs also and 235's Generals. Curious what our ride height looks like.

Thanks,

Ken
post #13 of 28 Old 08-09-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
rpwils

@Chrisnvegas np, I did not take it as condescending, I really appreciate the advice advice and opinions.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-09-2020, 01:41 PM
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
my 94 with ome 37r and 30x950x15 tires
Attached Thumbnails
20200713_105253.jpg  
post #15 of 28 Old 08-09-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
rpwils

Looks like the ome 37r will raise it 2.5 inches then the shackles will raise it another 1 inch. With just the 2.5 it seems like you have to change out other parts such as adjusting the Transfer case. Does that sound correct? If is stuck with standard springs, any recommendations? And are the heavy duty springs that much better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in