• 2 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By Chrisnvegas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stereo-Speaker-Amp Help

I'm doing some upgrades to my YJ's audio system, and I don't have a ton of experience with aftermarket car audio stuff.

Existing setup (same setup I inherited from the PO in 2013):
Panasonic CQ-C1121u - it's okay. I never use the CD. I don't mind updating it, but I also don't mind keeping it.
spec here: https://shop.panasonic.com/support-o...U.html?t=specs
Name:  x133C1121-f.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  51.5 KB

Some type of sound bar that looks like this one. Mine is old and dusty looking, and it's a little too close to my head. Sound volume is okay.
Name:  70537696_10156534840568963_7848039533475004416_n.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  76.7 KB

I also have the 4x6 speakers in the dash, but I'm not even sure that they are working.

I purchased a set of VDP Sound Pods in spice to replace the sound bar. These sit around the roll bar, and looks like they will fit in some useless space:
http://www.vdpusa.com/jeep/rear-sound-wedge-cj-yj.php
Name:  vdp-CJ_YJ-speakerwedge-53317-lg.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.4 KB

The sound pods came with a set of really cheap 6x9 speakers - Boss CH6930:
https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-CH...s%2C159&sr=8-4
Name:  510Jj1NXdgL.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  42.0 KB

My goal is really just to swap out speakers - I'd like to do as few other upgrade$ as possible. But I'd like to have acceptable volume in the noisy, windy YJ. No subwoofer either - just no space and no interest.

Questions:
- Will I need a separate amp to drive these big 6x9 speakers? Or is my head unit adequate? The YJ has so much wind noise, that high fidelity isn't really possible

- If so, what amp? Would something like the (cheap!) Boss R1100M work?
https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-Sy...t_sims?ie=UTF8

- Instead of an amp, could a new head unit with more power drive the 6x9 speakers better? If so, which one? Something with USB and phone connectivity would be nice, but I really doubt I would use those features much.

- Or if more efficient 6x9 speakers would work better, I have no problem getting a different set. What would be good 6x9s?

- Should I even worry about the 4x6 dash speakers? Remove them? Replace them? My gut says remove them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 12:56 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have those 6x9 pods
..inherited from PO.

Terribly muffled and pointless. Without top notch kickers in there won't do anything for you on the front seat.

The seats muffle and deflect all of it. I am thinking of selling mine.

I had that same overhead soundbar...which I had to cut into two pieces and essentially created two over head pods due to my rollcahe additions. I upgraded the speakers in there. Work excellent. Chopping a section out like I did, and reattaching (weld or other means) at a good measurement would actually allow them to go on the cargo area side of the b pillar cross bar. If you stated it's too close to your head.... these would still work better than those VDP pods.

I also cannot recline with the VDP pods you displayed. When I upgrade my seats, they'll be going on my craigslist listing OR re purposed elsewhere in the jeep in some creative way. I believe they are only good for back seat passengers

I used my YJOTM winnings to get a transmission hump pod with kickers.... this greatly benefitted the overall sound coupled with the overhead and new dash speakers (also kickers).

If you're getting rid of the overheads altogether, your deck should be ample to drive 6x9s in the rear. Probably not to their max potential (obviously) ...but adequate at 50watts per.
Chrisnvegas and StanF like this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Additionally... I'd keep the dash speakers.... just replace them. They actually do direct sound well with quality speakers in the location
StanF likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

JBL GTO 4x6 in dash. Easy swap if you fold the windshield frame down. Very efficient speakers.
Read the reviews. Very good speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO6429-P.../dp/B00B5LQ4IK

Avoid "off brand" speakers (and everything else) like Boss Audio, Pyramid ect.

Under seat subwoofer.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S.../dp/B00BO8O9XQ

I know you said you don't care about a subwoofer. Whatever...

Without this subwoofer you are literally missing HALF the music. It will always sound tinny.
This sub ^ is NOT the kind of sub that will rattle your neighbors house.
It's a small self powered (no extra amp needed) sub that mounts under the drivers seat. It has it's own built in amp and is easy to install. It's best suited to classic rock. It turns on & off with the head unit.
Bass takes more power than highs. With a small sub, that leaves more power for the head unit to power dash speakers.

The 6x9 enclosures are not very good acoustically. They will add vitually NOTHING to the system.

The sound bar is a good mix with the dash speakers. Adjust fader on head unit for a good front to rear mix.

The only way you will get any bass at all will be to use a subwoofer in a Jeep. There isn't any interior spaces large enough to produce decent lows of any kind. I'm not talking about earth shaking, I'm talking about hearing any drums at all!

Without a small sub, it will be an AM transistor radio.
bruinjeeper likes this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the comments - very helpful. I changed my mind about the sound pods, and returned them for a full refund. Another major consideration that I found is that the speaker grill on the passenger side will be in harms way, and is likely to just bumped and damaged. It stuck out just a little too far.

At this moment, I'm just going to remove the speaker bar and just use the dash 4x6 speakers. I adjusted the fader, and the dash speakers will be acceptable for a while. I'll revisit this in the future when I have more time and interest to address it. Custom speaker pods behind the roll cage B pillar bar would likely be a good option.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have similar 6x9 pods behind the seat, they're ok but not great. I saw the biggest change when I added a TJ soundbar with some nice 5" Kicker speakers. I didn't get rid of the 6x9's or use an amp, just split the output from the head unit to feed one 6x9 and one 5" on each side. If you opted for an amp, a small 50-100 watt one would be more than sufficient. I also kept the dash speakers, but think the floor pod like bruin mentioned would give better sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in