Steering slop with video - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Steering slop with video

Iíve always had loose steering since I got the YJ last year. Iíve done a lash adjustment twice and itís gotten better each time but I know if you do that too much it can be detrimental to the box. The box is a rebuilt J20 that the PO installed in the last 2-3 years. Iíve posted a video below. Should I try more adjustment, replace it, rebuild it, live with it? Itís a bear to drive on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's very normal for the steering shaft. Even my full hydro setup has more play than that and there is a worryingly low level of steering wheel wiggle before the wheels start turning. I suspect the issues you're dealing with are actually related to something else in the steering system. Worn ball joints, incorrect caster, incorrect toe, worn tie rod ends, worn drag link ends, etc. There is a lot that can be worn or wrong with the steering but the wiggle in the steering shaft isn't one of them unless the U-joints are worn out which is doesn't look like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
That's very normal for the steering shaft. Even my full hydro setup has more play than that and there is a worryingly low level of steering wheel wiggle before the wheels start turning. I suspect the issues you're dealing with are actually related to something else in the steering system. Worn ball joints, incorrect caster, incorrect toe, worn tie rod ends, worn drag link ends, etc. There is a lot that can be worn or wrong with the steering but the wiggle in the steering shaft isn't one of them unless the U-joints are worn out which is doesn't look like.
Thanks for the response. Iím confused. What I show in the video is without any movement beyond the steering box. Itís certainly possible those other problems exist, maybe even likely, but this looseness seems excessive before any downstream components get engaged.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You're talking about about 1/8 of a turn which when centered is 1/16 of a turn in each direction in a steering box that has approximately 3.5 turns from lock to lock. Most cars have some sort of dead zone in the steering to prevent our inherent twitching when driving. I can tell you that my BMW takes more than 1/16 of a turn to register any real steering input. If you're driving and have more play than an 1/8 of a turn, then something else is loose IMO. Also, if you really want to see how much slop your really have in your box, leave the key on but engine off and see how much you can spin the wheel with your pinky and no effort. Any tiny resistance will translate into steering movement when the power steering pump has power.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
You're talking about about 1/8 of a turn which when centered is 1/16 of a turn in each direction in a steering box that has approximately 3.5 turns from lock to lock. Most cars have some sort of dead zone in the steering to prevent our inherent twitching when driving. I can tell you that my BMW takes more than 1/16 of a turn to register any real steering input. If you're driving and have more play than an 1/8 of a turn, then something else is loose IMO. Also, if you really want to see how much slop your really have in your box, leave the key on but engine off and see how much you can spin the wheel with your pinky and no effort. Any tiny resistance will translate into steering movement when the power steering pump has power.
Ok, thanks. Iíll give that a shot. When the engine is running there is a good 2+ inches either direction before the wheels start to move. Seems excessive but maybe itís a Jeep thing, lol.

May or may not be relevant but the steering in general is super easy. You can steer with one finger.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Roughly same slop here.

Always wondered about it...but never enough to warrant any worry

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Roughly same slop here.

Always wondered about it...but never enough to warrant any worry
I’m not worried, per se, but would like the steering to be correct if it’s reasonable to resolve. I’ve owned probably 40 vehicles over the years and none have had this much slop. A 2002 Silverado was pretty close, though. On that truck I was also told that’s just how it is. :shrug
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The other thing I learned when I was tracing the source of the sloppiness that you describe is that our Jeeps have a slightly slower steering gearbox than many other vehicles. This makes it more stable at speed but if you're used to turning the wheel a certain amount for twisting turns, it can be a little alarming when you start running off the road with the same inputs as all your other cars.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2020, 08:56 AM
boykin_dennis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did you examine the middle of the steering shaft to make sure there isn't wear in the flex joint? I suspect that's less of a problem on yours (based on your excellent video) but it was so bad on my '92 that I had to replace the shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in