Steering box relocation bracket question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-10-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
billybob535
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Steering box relocation bracket question

Question for anyone with a steering box relocation bracket that moves the box 1" forward.

Does anything else need to be bought to install this (axle will already be moved forward) and does it interfere with the stock sway bar at all?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, Obviously you'll have to adjust the drag link after

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 7 Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 AM
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob535 View Post
Question for anyone with a steering box relocation bracket that moves the box 1" forward.

Does anything else need to be bought to install this (axle will already be moved forward) and does it interfere with the stock sway bar at all?

Thanks
I've been wanting to do this myself. Where did you get the bracket?

ROCK OVER LONDON... ROCK ON CHICAGO!

post #4 of 7 Old 11-10-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
billybob535
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon View Post
I've been wanting to do this myself. Where did you get the bracket?

I have not bought one yet. I see there are about a half dozen places making them and they are all about the same price (~$120).

Anyone here recommend one over the other? If so why?

I am working on swapping to waggy springs mounted to give a 2" front stretch with no other mods (other than a longer DS and longer brake lines) if that matters. I don't know if I will need the bracket or not but if I do I want to make sure its a smooth deal to buy and install.

Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have the MORE relocation bracket, makes for a nice HD mount. Much better than the stock steering mount.

The steering column needs to be stretched and being an older vehicle the slip joint is most likely rusted, pain to get it to move.

Ran into some sheetmetal clearance issues under the radiator, this might just be my rig because nothing is straight on the front.

Steering links had some interference. I have a RS and not sure how far the front is moved forward (2" maybe???). Believe the drag and tie rods are 1.25 dia too and all together the steering wouldn't work with a 1/2 Chevy TRE and the draglink thru pass. side TRE. I ended up moving the draglink on top, not recommended but works until I do something else.
Also ended up with a TJ pitman, seem to have misplaced my YJ so can't tell you what the difference is but a Waggy (to long) and XJ (to much drop) wouldn't work.

Ended up breaking one of the captive nuts loose. Drilled thru, sleeved and ran a bolt thru the frame. This sleeve and bolt thru both sides of the frame made it stronger so all good with it.

They say it's a bolt-on but these are issues I ran into. When I was SOA the Waggy pitman arm and high steer worked great mocked up. I went back SUA to lower it and this is when steering issues showed up.

Probably should add, I have a Waggy D44 up front too so the steering arms may be different length causing the steering issues.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #6 of 7 Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

PARTSMIKE bracket here... Pretty much the same as the MORE

Bolt on here, no issues, Using a Durango box, Trimmed some metal slightly under the rad, But not much for the power streering lines

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was just going to say, that there are two vendors selling the identical mount as their own. Both are listed on this thread already, so I'll leave it at that.

If you know you're only going an inch by all means get the bracket, it's easy, it bolts on, etc.. I moved mine just shy of 4" forward, I got some bushing sleeves for inside the frame and some threaded bungs and went from there, not difficult but a bit time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in