Steering becomes loose, pulls left, burning smell - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Hamjam93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Steering becomes loose, pulls left, burning smell

Hey all,
I just inherited my fathers 93 YJ, he was a mechanic for 30+ years and usually the one I would call to help with these problems.

After about 45 mins of city driving, I notice a slight burning smell, and the steering wheel suddenly get a tone of play, the starts to pull hard to the left. Enough that I have to turn the steering wheel basically sideways to keep straight. There is some dripping from the power steering reservoir onto the steer box and the burning smell is coming from that area. I also know from experience that it could be the caliper locking up. How can I diagnose if the problem is coming from the steer box or if its the caliper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 09:19 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
easy if the caliper is hotter then say the opposite side. You can use the touch and it burns you test or get a IR heat type gun and measure the temps.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bruin deleted his post, but he was probably going to say something about your power steering pump failing.

If your caliper was locking up, your steering wouldn't have a ton of play before your steering started pulling to one side.

Could be the steering box too, but sounds more like the pump.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 PM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bad pump wouldn't cause play, just hard low speed steering effort. More than likely the steering gear,and the failure could have been caused by the sudden lockup of a caliper. Turn off the engine and turn the steering wheel, you will be able to see what's going on between the steering wheel and the gearbox output.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-07-2020, 01:23 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Bruin deleted his post, but he was probably going to say something about your power steering pump failing.

If your caliper was locking up, your steering wouldn't have a ton of play before your steering started pulling to one side.

Could be the steering box too, but sounds more like the pump.
The burning odor could be the power steering unit or the caliper.

He may very well have two issues.

But if the PS was bad he'd also see a volcano of fluid foaming at the reservoir making a sizzling sound. Unless there is no fluid in the system at all. But I'd expect he'd know that because the symptoms would be worse than hard pull to the left

Edit: just re-read the original post.

Yep. Check that fluid level. Go for a spin and open the hood. And open the reservoir while still running.

Could be a clog in the lines, could be low fluid, low pressure, the PS pump itself or the gear box. I'm betting on the gear box Had to replace my original pump last year only thank god

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 06:37 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The OP probably has three problems.

A pull after 45 minutes of city driving is a caliper, brake pads binding type of issue. Something is stuck enough that it rolls when cold but as it warms up the pads and rotors expand from the heat and it starts to act like the brakes are applied on that side. That is the pull to the left.

The steering having a ton of play at that time is likely a very worn tie rod, ball joint, etc. that kinda centers itself when not being totally abused but once you apply one brake by itself essentially you will load the worn or combination of worn components to that side so it will double the amount of steering travel, or even more depending on what is worn and in what direction.

Then there is the dripping from the PS pump. That is the smell..... Maybe.. Could be another fluid leaking onto exhaust or something also.

It is not good to run out or low on PS fluid. For sure fix power steering leaks. But. Your power steering system is not causing all the symptoms you describe unless you have a crazy been in a side impact accident gear box with twisted shafts and stuff. If you take a solid power steering system and drive it with no fluid you should still have the same strong mechanical connection as you would with a manual gearbox. Just takes a lot more effort to turn.

I have NEVER seen a Saginaw style gear make a vehicle pull after driving a while. I have NEVER seen a Saginaw style gear box produce random excessive play in the steering

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 07:27 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, above sounds very plausible. Other worn parts such as TRE's and such shouldn't create a 'pull' as described.I would also suspect a caliper.

PS leak could either be hose's, connections or the pump itself. Try cleaning off everything really well, and then run it till PS fluids hot and take some paper towels and wrap all the fittings, pump, etc. and see if you get any wet spots. Fluid shows up very well on white paper towels.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 07:52 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Try cleaning off everything really well, and then run it till PS fluids hot and take some paper towels and wrap all the fittings, pump, etc. and see if you get any wet spots. Fluid shows up very well on white paper towels.
yup. During the pandemic beginnings when people were flocking and loading up on TP ....good old davie boy got himself a shopping cart of PT
Attached Images

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #9 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 07:59 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lol, well, now that 'some' of the craziness has ebbed a bit, the local Costco is getting limited shipments of TP and PT. With just me and the wifey now a days, not too worried. As long as they do not run out of Jamison and wine we are good to go.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 08:20 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Lol, well, now that 'some' of the craziness has ebbed a bit, the local Costco is getting limited shipments of TP and PT. With just me and the wifey now a days, not too worried. As long as they do not run out of Jamison and wine we are good to go.
...wait.

Your costco's have Jameson and wine?

O Canada! my @$$

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 09:43 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
...wait.

Your costco's have Jameson and wine?

O Canada! my @$$

And the half gallon size to boot.

They also have their Kirkland in house brand Anejo Tequila that is the bomb! And of course all the other hard liquors one wants. Those are purdy much the only 2 I drink. Mama likes Bourbon... I can't stand the stuff, but I like Jamey... go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in