Steering - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 08-14-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
And it should handle a lot better sitting parked if you get rid of that chrome balance and unpainted grill.

I didn’t notice the pitman, (phone) but ya, that will tug the steering and is more than likely part of the dart-on-braking issue

Balance agreed... grill is my go faster stripes mate. They work. Because they sure as sh17 don't absorb the speed bumps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 08-14-2020, 05:31 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASHD0WN View Post
So in the Jeep Wrangler (YJ)_Cherokee (XJ)_Grand Cherokke (ZJ) Parts Catalog.pdf it has standard Crown Automotive MPN for with and without power steering (pictured). But my research suggests when power steering is involved it becomes important if the vehicle is left or right hand drive. Mine is RHD with power steering. Therefor this MPN for the pitman arm with power steering (5204 0112) is LHD and won't fit my RHD vehicle. I can't find a MPN for a RHD pitman arm with power steering... for a YJ. I have found the MPN for the TJ RHD pitman arm with power steering (5203 8338).

Does anyone know if the TJ pitman arms fit the YJ... or the MPN I am looking for?

Also I am wondering if this has anything to do with why the wrong part is currently on mine, hard to find.
Ok mate. Your research is impeccable and real. Damn. A RHD vehicle.

People noticed your drop pitman arm but pics being upside down made people dizzy and not noticing which side of vehicle the gear box is on.

I have worked with USPS delivery vehicles for a while now. RHD stuff can be very different and not necessarily perfect or correct, it just made one said vehicle work with the steering wheel being on either side. There can be many unthought of compromises made to do so.

We may need to talk about this over a few Pints as you call them.
SPLASHD0WN likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #18 of 31 Old 08-14-2020, 06:55 PM
IRQ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

w/Power Steering: https://www.morris4x4center.com/surp...-52006505.html
w/o Power Steering: https://www.morris4x4center.com/pitm...-52040110.html

1994-1995 Mopar parts catalog
SPLASHD0WN likes this.

1995 Rio Grande • 2.5L • AX5 • Stock • 58k miles

post #19 of 31 Old 08-15-2020, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Boojo35, thanks and any time, but looks like I owe IRQ a bottle of Scotch! IRQ, you sir, are my hero. Thanks, I'm off to try and find part 5200 6505.

UPDATE: Thanks to all you lovely people I have the part on order. If you're curious what British RHD Wrangler ownership is like, I mean it's great, but that did just cost $110 and will arrive in two months.

Last edited by SPLASHD0WN; 08-15-2020 at 06:05 AM.
post #20 of 31 Old 08-18-2020, 10:01 AM
bbrintnall
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Boojo35, thanks and any time, but looks like I owe IRQ a bottle of Scotch! IRQ, you sir, are my hero. Thanks, I'm off to try and find part 5200 6505.

UPDATE: Thanks to all you lovely people I have the part on order. If you're curious what British RHD Wrangler ownership is like, I mean it's great, but that did just cost $110 and will arrive in two months.
That's quite the lead time! Hope it isn't a daily driver or you'll be walking to get where you need to!
post #21 of 31 Old 10-08-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Delivery day arrives and the order is cancelled. Spoke to the supplier, Morris 4x4 and a very helpful chap checked for me and said Omix discontinued the RND power steering pitman arm for the YJ and there are no alternatives currently in manufacture. So I guess I either get very lucky finding scrap or figure out the height of the drop pitman on mine and put a lift in to match.

Stupid question 1:
Anyone know if measuring the arm is as simple as literally measuring the... well, drop? I'll update this in the light tomorrow when I can measure and photo.

Stupid question 2:
A work friend who drives Landrovers advised I get parabolic springs. If I'm going to put say a 2.5 suspension lift on it, could I do that and get parabolic springs?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E9706.jpg  

Last edited by SPLASHD0WN; 10-09-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: To add a picture
post #22 of 31 Old 10-08-2020, 02:13 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
pitman is one of those things that's pretty easy to junkyard. Tons of vehicles from numerous brands used similar saginaw steering boxes and they almost all fit each other. Mostly GM, but the arm I'm using right now is from and F150 and happens to fit just fine with the right drop

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 31 Old 10-09-2020, 11:02 AM
IRQ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Give these folks a call, now I’m willing to bet that they will say this item is discontinued and that it is out of stock, however ask them if they can search their database to see if any dealer still has one laying around.
https://www.nhoeparts.com/oem-parts/...n-arm-52006505

1995 Rio Grande • 2.5L • AX5 • Stock • 58k miles
post #24 of 31 Old 10-09-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ View Post
Give these folks a call, now I’m willing to bet that they will say this item is discontinued and that it is out of stock, however ask them if they can search their database to see if any dealer still has one laying around.
https://www.nhoeparts.com/oem-parts/...n-arm-52006505
Thanks IRQ, I will do this tomorrow
post #25 of 31 Old 10-16-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Update - I have got my hands on a CA stock pitman for a YJ with power steering, it's listed as LHD and mine is RHD. Couple of weeks and I have a guy I know with a garage and tools to help me try swapping it out to correct the bump steer and finally answer the question or whether they are interchangeable. If I survive the drive home I'll update you all so we with RHD vehicles know one way or the other.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9759.jpg  
post #26 of 31 Old 10-16-2020, 06:06 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If it has a difference in the keying of the arm to steering box shaft you can use a three-square file to reorient it correctly.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #27 of 31 Old 10-16-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
If it has a difference in the keying of the arm to steering box shaft you can use a three-square file to reorient it correctly.
Great tip. I will tell my mechanic this with confidence like I know what I'm talking about . Cheers Fish'
post #28 of 31 Old 10-17-2020, 11:20 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

you're also gonna want to pump that tie rod end full of grease friend!

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #29 of 31 Old 10-17-2020, 11:48 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

It's fairly obvious what the issue is. The steering is on the wrong side of the Jeep.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #30 of 31 Old 10-18-2020, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
SPLASHD0WN

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
It's fairly obvious what the issue is. The steering is on the wrong side of the Jeep.
Huh... that is interesting... do you think that's why I'm finding it hard to drive with such a lean over the centre console and my legs at an angle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in