Starter nose cone breakage - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Luuca

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-27-2021, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
ed4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Starter nose cone breakage

'95 4-banger, AX-5. Pulled the tranny and discovered my Mean Green starter was broken. No idea how long its been like this. Installed new 38# flywheel, clutch and rebuilt tranny, and a new Mean Green starter. My question is about shimming it, guessing breakage was from a lack of a required shim, but none were originally present, and it doesn't make any of the noises which would be signs of the need of a shim as discussed in the shop manual. Don't want to break another. Any thoughts anybody? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
starter.jpg  

'95 YJ, D44 Fr. w/5.13 RCVs &ARB, 8.8 Rr w/Detroit & 4130 shafts, Atlas II Tcase on 33x12.5x15 TSLs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Was it starting fine before you pulled the tranny?

No odd noises to tip you off? Find that hard to believe

Or was it just sitting for a while? Maybe it was fractured but still in tact and something happened when you pulled the tranny to shatter it?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JUL '19, NOV '21~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-27-2021, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
ed4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Was it starting fine before you pulled the tranny?

No odd noises to tip you off? Find that hard to believe

Or was it just sitting for a while? Maybe it was fractured but still in tact and something happened when you pulled the tranny to shatter it?
No indication whatsoever that there was an issue. Starter is removed before tranny, nothing would of happened during removal that would have broken it. There was enough dirt on the break to suggest it had been this way for a while.

It never sits, daily driver, but short trips, so starter is used often. Starter been in there maybe two years and less than 2K miles. Pulled tranny to address TO bearing issue.

Going to slip a 1/32 or 1/64"" shim in and see what there is to see I guess.....

'95 YJ, D44 Fr. w/5.13 RCVs &ARB, 8.8 Rr w/Detroit & 4130 shafts, Atlas II Tcase on 33x12.5x15 TSLs

post #4 of 9 Old 10-28-2021, 03:03 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

honestly, looks like a mfg defect. Issue with the casting. If it worked as normal without any odd sounds, it may have had the defect from the start and any small impact could have forced it apart. I wonder if the fasteners were loose at some point after install and allowed contact between the housing and the starter?

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of 9 Old 10-28-2021, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
ed4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
honestly, looks like a mfg defect. Issue with the casting. If it worked as normal without any odd sounds, it may have had the defect from the start and any small impact could have forced it apart. I wonder if the fasteners were loose at some point after install and allowed contact between the housing and the starter?
Bolts were tight when I disassembled. You may be right, but i assumed it had to do with installation. Thinking I'll be adding the original OEM starter to my inventory of spare parts I carry.....

post #6 of 9 Old 10-28-2021, 05:49 PM
Boojo35
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Or some weird thing with a 10MM socket that dropped somewhere.......

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-28-2021, 10:54 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
TWO

get it right TWO 10mm sockets dropped into the bellhousing.
bruinjeeper and YoYjay like this.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #8 of 9 Old 10-31-2021, 09:32 PM
calisk8er1080

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Quote:
TWO

get it right TWO 10mm sockets dropped into the bellhousing.
I dunno about you guys, but it always seems to be that damn E12 socket for me. (I think that's the size? the reverse torx for the two bolts on the top of the bellhousing). Always falls straight into the crank sensor hole. Every. Single. Time.

Ex-professional wrench turner
Professional metal gluer-togetherer
Insta @deathmetalwelder
post #9 of 9 Old 11-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

The starter motors for my YJís are about the only thing Iíll get remaníed from big box stores simply because they are so easy to remove and replace. I have had good luck with my current one. I think itís been working fine for at least 8-10 years. I even used it a handful of times to get my jeep out of the road in breakdown situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in