Starter issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-19-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
vdubstreets
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Starter issue

1990 4cyl 5spd
I think I narrowed it down to starter issue between starter and battery.
When the jeep is running it runs at 14 (accordoing to the battery guage) when im starting its in the red and somtiimes takes a while to crank over. (I can drive with lights and radio on with no problem) sometimes i have to give a little gas to get it running. i swapped batterys out of my other yj which was good and it still ahs the same syptioms.

how hard is it to replace the starter? a write up would be nice. could it be anything else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

how about battery cables and connections? You should inspect them carefully for broken wires or corrosion and clean all the terminals with baking soda and water with a toothbrush. Often the symptoms you describe could be caused by corrosion and changing the battery would not help.

You might want to drive it to the local Autozone, Schucks, etc. They have a little electronic thing that they can take into the parking lot there to test battery, starter, alternator, etcetera and it can save you the time of replacing the wrong parts. They do it for free.

Starter is easy to replace. Disconnect battery, then cables to starter, and finally remove a couple fasteners to pull off starter. It is a 30 minute job.

1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
post #3 of 8 Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
vdubstreets
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i hate autozone they dotn know anything there...

i have a muli meter, can i check it somehow with that? or any other way?

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubstreets
i hate autozone they dotn know anything there...

i have a muli meter, can i check it somehow with that? or any other way?
Best way is a hydrometer test with the battery. Remove the cables, clean the posts off real good reattach real good. To test the battery load test you need a special tester that has a carbon pile test procedure on it. Take it to a place that will test it for free. If you don't like Autozone then go somewhere else. If it's the starter then proceed taking it out. But first inspect all connections at the starter motor solenoid, ignition/start switch and all ground connections. Ah, you could check to see if you have 9.5 volts at the solenoid switch during cranking, and if not then remove the starter. The solenoid is attached to the top of the starter. If you do decide to remove the starter it is on with two bolts, you will see them. Remove the negative cable on the batter first, then remove the cables and wires on the starter. Remember where they go, now remove the bolts and then remove the starter. Simple operation.

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL TREAD LIGHTLY
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 PM
bobbert350

i would check the battery connections...also u may have a bad neautral saftey switch so if put it into neautral n try to start it then
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-2006, 01:42 PM
BigGreenoh9
1997 XJ Cherokee 

he said he has a 5spd...no neutral safety switch (auto only)

i dunno if this helps, but my jeep did that all the time...when it ran it was at 14 but when it was off/starting it was down at 10 or so (just into the red)...i also had to give it gas to run when it caught, but mine was a carbed 6 cyl

does the starter start to slow down as you crank it?

i dunno what else to tell you cause when my starter failed it was pretty easy to tell (starter spun freely..it was toast)

could it also be fuel related? engine not getting enough fuel on startup?

Current: 1997 XJ Sport 4x4 - 4.0/AW4/231
Previous: 1987 YJ - 4.2/BA10/207; 2005 WK - 5.7/545RFE/245
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
vdubstreets
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenoh9
he said he has a 5spd...no neutral safety switch (auto only)

i dunno if this helps, but my jeep did that all the time...when it ran it was at 14 but when it was off/starting it was down at 10 or so (just into the red)...i also had to give it gas to run when it caught, but mine was a carbed 6 cyl

does the starter start to slow down as you crank it?

i dunno what else to tell you cause when my starter failed it was pretty easy to tell (starter spun freely..it was toast)

could it also be fuel related? engine not getting enough fuel on startup?
just a starting issue, it runs decently otherwise. im going to go to autozone to see if they have a device to test the starters, i was just thinking if there a sensor or someting that could effect this.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No sensor that would effect starter. No codes either. Relay working as it is still cranking.

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL TREAD LIGHTLY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in