Starter for 1987 with 1983 Engine - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
tpearsall

Starter for 1987 with 1983 Engine

Picked up a new to me non-running 1987 YJ 4.2L. Trans is a BA-10 (original?) and the engine is a 1983 based on the serial number. It didn't have a starter when I picked it up so I got an rebuild from Autozone which they showed as the same model for 1983-1987 so I thought I was good for either the engine or trans. First thing I noticed was the Jeep didn't have an external starter solenoid and the starter didn't either. I went ahead to bolt up the starter anyway and noticed the gear in the starter stuck out far enough that was always engaged with the flywheel and would likely extend beyond the flywheel when powered.

Back to Autozone to see what else they had in similar years and the 1990 starter looked promising. Built in solenoid, gear wouldn't reach the flywheel when not running and bolted up just fine. When I start it the engine turns, but the grind is bad so it's not meshing right.

I thought it was time to see what the gurus have to say.

Thanks for looking!
Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM
billybob535
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The early ford style starter without the solenoid on it is correct for the 83 and 87.

Is the spacer plate in place between the back of the block and the face of the bellhousing?

It spaces the starter out just a bit and may be why your starter is not disengaging.

Its a cheap part but a lot of work to install.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/bell...l-3213743.html
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
tpearsall

Thanks for the reply. What I would all the dust cover is in place, I need something like 1cm of additional clearance for the starter gear to clear the flywheel when not engaged. I assume the spacer isn't that thick, right? I attached some pictures that might help.

It looks like the 87+ style flywheel bolted to a 1983 engine, is that playing into this?

Thanks again,
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob535 View Post
The early ford style starter without the solenoid on it is correct for the 83 and 87.

Is the spacer plate in place between the back of the block and the face of the bellhousing?

It spaces the starter out just a bit and may be why your starter is not disengaging.

Its a cheap part but a lot of work to install.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/bell...l-3213743.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200326_104936028.jpg   IMG_20200326_105140229.jpg  

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM
billybob535
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. You spacer is in place.

The flywheel in your picture is the late 87-90 4.2 flywheel that has the tone notches which uses the later starter (the 1990 one you bought). The 83 and earlier 87s use the ford style starter and flywheel.

You may need to shim the starter if its going to far in OR you got a bad starter (that happens alot).

Bob
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
tpearsall

Thanks, good to know I do have the right parts the '87, it is pain since the parts shops show the "early '87" flywheel starter, not the "later '87" that I have. Tried spacing it out with thin washers, but no luck. Based on how it mounts I'm not sure how to make shims to tilt it.

Also tried:
- Banging the starter toward the block once it's snug, then tightening down. This moved the starter a bit due to slop in the bolt holes, but no improvement.
- I checked the current on the ignition wire to the starter, but the voltage is a consistent 12.5 while key in start position (and starter disconnected from the battery). My thought was a faulty ignition switch or corroded wires might make the voltage weak to the solenoid causing the starter gear to backed off while trying to start and grinding.
- I painted the starter splines to see where it's catching and it looks decent, maybe not deep enough into the splines, but far enough down the shaft.

Next steps:
- Check the flywheel teeth all the way around
- Try adjusting the starter closer to the block within the slop in the bolts
- Napa starter over current AutoZone
- Drop trans and check for other issues?

Open to suggestions.

I saw a thread here referencing a difference between the manual and auto trans starter making a difference, but haven't seen any word of that elsewhere.

Thanks!
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob535 View Post
Ok. You spacer is in place.

The flywheel in your picture is the late 87-90 4.2 flywheel that has the tone notches which uses the later starter (the 1990 one you bought). The 83 and earlier 87s use the ford style starter and flywheel.

You may need to shim the starter if its going to far in OR you got a bad starter (that happens alot).

Bob
post #6 of 7 Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
tpearsall

Flywheel doesn't have any broken teeth, but it is obvious I'm grinding it up right now.

I did adjust the starter closer to the block and it sounds better briefly, but then the starter gets pushed back and just grinds. I have it down pretty tight and am afraid I'd strip the bolts on the bell housing if I go any tighter. There is 2mm of play, it seems like there should be a sleeve or something to tighten it up. Anyone know if the new starters have better tolerances that the AutoZone rebuilds?

At this point the starter gear is pretty beat up and the flywheel is showing signs of wear. I'm debating replacing both of them, but hate to do it when I don't even know if this trans is any good.

Thanks for the help and open to suggestions.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
tpearsall

To close this out. New caliper from NAPA the lower bolt sleeve was 10mm and is snug fit on the bolt. Engine now turns over without grinding. On to next issues!

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in