Stalled out & won’t start 100 miles after new fuel assembly - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 68 Old 07-31-2021, 09:59 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you change the fuel filter and the silly 90 degree soft line that feeds it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 07-31-2021, 10:25 PM
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Take the rubber line off prior to the filter and see in you're at least getting flow to the filter. Have some flow into a big glass jar to see what it looks like. You may have really bad gas in the tank that plugged the filter.
post #33 of 68 Old 07-31-2021, 11:08 PM
Jjgator

Sorry for getting back so late. Just got mine up and running and was out riding around. My symptoms were it would not start sometimes and it would start sometimes. If it did start then as soon as I turned it off it wouldn’t start. We dropped the tank and began to troubleshoot. With the pump out it would work. Then all of a sudden it would not work. Started messing with the wires and that was it. The wires at the connectors were not working. I would go with what someone else suggested, take the fuel line loose from the fuel filter and make sure your pump stays pumping. If when you turn the key and see if fuel flow. If you can I would move the wire and see if it cuts in and out. That’s how we found it. I hate electrical gremlins.

post #34 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Yeas, I did change the filter yesterday. It didn’t change anything, unfortunately. I did notice the feeder line was idiotic.
post #35 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMFriday View Post
Quote:
Yeas, I did change the filter yesterday. It didn’t change anything, unfortunately. I did notice the feeder line was idiotic.
Right on. Ok next question. When you reinstalled the tank did you pinch the lines that run between the frame and tub?
post #36 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I doubt it, only because I’m still getting fuel on the tank side of the filter and when I went to check the pressure I had fuel coming out of the gauge. I’m about to test fuel pressure again now that I have a new set.
post #37 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, this is why we check. I get about 5 lbs of pressure at the rail when cranking.
post #38 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just checked the pressure at the line going into the fuel filter. Same thing. Zero when turning the key to on, maybe 5 lbs when cranking. Looks like my new fuel assembly was bad. Time to call Quadratec tomorrow and get a replacement. Honestly, considering looking up how hard it is to lift the tub off, because I’ve got 15 gallons in the tank, and it was a monster job the first time.
post #39 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02gn...mbXg3g#Atlanta

So I hit it with some starting fluid & it started, ran for about a minute with a really rough idle. Just prior to this it ran for about a minute, but that time, the engine revved a couple of times without touching the gas. Went up to a little over 2k rpm. This was my “I’m about to pack it in for the day, pray for a miracle” method, and when it stayed running I thought maybe it was just working some air out of the line & a miracle was imminent, since it hadn’t stayed running like that at any point, starting fluid or not. No such luck.
post #40 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 03:39 PM
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMFriday View Post
Just checked the pressure at the line going into the fuel filter. Same thing. Zero when turning the key to on, maybe 5 lbs when cranking. Looks like my new fuel assembly was bad. Time to call Quadratec tomorrow and get a replacement. Honestly, considering looking up how hard it is to lift the tub off, because I’ve got 15 gallons in the tank, and it was a monster job the first time.
If you have a container or another car that can use that gas, get one of these. Makes life easier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery...ump-63847.html

Or this if you prefer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-63144.html

Last edited by 93YJ4FUN; 08-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.
post #41 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 04:13 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so 5 psi at the pump side of the filter, happened after 100 miles, pump runs and stops. Given the pump builds pressure and shuts off instead of running continuously if I remember correctly from you early post I would think you have a restriction in the line somewhere.
Did you reuse the old in tank filter on the new pump and the old soft lines from the pump to the frame side hard lines?
Did you set the clearance on the new pump off the bottom of the tank?
If it was me I would go get 3-5 feet of 5/16th fuel line and remove the silly elbow from the hard lines feeding the filter install the new fuel line and drain the tank into a gas can, you need to check and see if its dirty.
Anyway you can easily use the pump to drain the tank of fuel if you need to drop it again and see what's going on. To me it sounds like some kind of blockage or restriction.
post #42 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok so 5 psi at the pump side of the filter, happened after 100 miles, pump runs and stops. Given the pump builds pressure and shuts off instead of running continuously if I remember correctly from you early post I would think you have a restriction in the line somewhere.
Did you reuse the old in tank filter on the new pump and the old soft lines from the pump to the frame side hard lines?
Did you set the clearance on the new pump off the bottom of the tank?
If it was me I would go get 3-5 feet of 5/16th fuel line and remove the silly elbow from the hard lines feeding the filter install the new fuel line and drain the tank into a gas can, you need to check and see if its dirty.
Anyway you can easily use the pump to drain the tank of fuel if you need to drop it again and see what's going on. To me it sounds like some kind of blockage or restriction.
So I gave the use-pump-to-drain-the-tank a go, and when I turn the key, nothing. Not even a trickle. So I removed the relay and jumpered it and the pump kicks on, and it’s definitely making sound louder than the normal kick-on noise. So the pump is working, that’s a relief, but I’m not sure where the blockage would be. I attached the line to drain from the metal elbow above the fuel filter intake, and it’s got great flow. So if there’s a blockage it would have to be after the filter, which is brand new, changed yesterday. A bad ground makes sense, but I’m not sure where that would be. In searching around I saw some threads talk about a ground wire knew the E-brake, but not with enough detail for me to actually explore it.
post #43 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

As I mentioned above, jumpering the relay kicks the pump on with really good flow, but even then it doesn’t register with the pressure gauge. Needle doesn’t move at all. But there is great flow. Filled the 5 gallon can in almost no time.
post #44 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 05:39 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does the pump stay on when you had the pressure gauge in the line?
post #45 of 68 Old 08-01-2021, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
YMFriday

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does the pump stay on when you had the pressure gauge in the line?
Yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in