Squirrely movement when starting - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Squirrely movement when starting

I don't know if I can explain this properly but when I take off from a stop the rear end feels squirrely, for lack of a better word. It almost feels like I'm on loose terrain with a bit of side to side movement. I have a Yukon Grizzly locker in the rear and Pitbull Rocker 35" tires. I figure this movement is just the nature of the locker but I guess it could be the tires or the combination of both. Am I correct?

It drives smooth after I'm up to speed and I've learned how to properly go through sharp turns with the locker. I'm just happy I have an e-locker on the front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If tire pressure & size are not equal *sometimes* either or both of those items can cause what you are explaining. The greater the difference, the more you may feel. If you are turning a little bit too, that could contribute to this, especially if intermittently on & off the gas.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 09:19 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Remove the lockers and the problem will probably most likely go away...the slightest bit of wheel slip can sometimes make the lockers engage or disengage as well as different tire pressures, and slightly different road surfaces. If the road is crowned it can also cause what you are describing.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. Tire pressure is equal. Roads are dry and level. The action is consistent. It tracks well after getting up to speed. My steering is a bit loose but this feeling is in the rear end.

I can't easily just remove the lockers. They are Aussie/lunchbox style, if I'm getting my terminology correct.

The steering box has been adjusted and is still loose, so I need to look at tie rod ends. There is no steering stabilizer installed. I'm not super concerned about this but would like to know what it is. It's a strange feeling. Almost like small fish-tails.

Too early for me to react but I don't like these tires. They are heavy, harsh, loud, but I suspect they are very good offroad, which I've only been a couple times, so I don't have a good sample. The PO offroaded a lot on these tires and he wouldn't have chosen them if he didn't like them. He is well-respected here, so I respect his choices.

Last edited by IronScott; 09-20-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added details
post #5 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 11:02 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As for steering play.

Also inspect the lower steering shaft. If it was never addressed or replaced. Those u joints are really old, with a lot of turning miles on them... they may be twisting just a little bit before the motion gets through the steering box and to your wheels.

You shouldn't have to adjust the steering box screw.

I know it's time for me to get a new steering shaft (as the joints just cant be replaced). It's next on the list now with winter coming.

Edit: that is to say if your linkages are all good
IronScott likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar feeling with a new Wrangler with a lift kit installed.

I found the lug nuts were loose on both rear wheels thanks to a shade tree mechanic. Check those but also grab the rear tires at 3 and 9 and shake them and try by holding the top of the tire and push/pull. See if there's any play and go from there.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Possible slop in the frame/spring bushings allowing unwanted movement of the rear axle.
metalry101 and IronScott like this.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #8 of 17 Old 09-21-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Possible slop in the frame/spring bushings allowing unwanted movement of the rear axle.
Thanks. Ill check that. I dont think they are old but the PO rode pretty hard offroad.

Lugs are definitely tight. The wheels have been off and back on a couple times recently and this has happened since I bought it a few months ago.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-21-2019, 02:09 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The Grizzly is a full carrier locker identical to a full Detroit, there's no "remove it" to see if it goes away. The Grizzly tends to be quite a bit tighter or less forgiving, if you will, than the Detroit. That's very likely what you're feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
The Grizzly is a full carrier locker identical to a full Detroit, there's no "remove it" to see if it goes away. The Grizzly tends to be quite a bit tighter or less forgiving, if you will, than the Detroit. That's very likely what you're feeling.
Thank you. Hoping that's the case. I'm fairly sure the shackles, bushings, springs, etc., have very little mileage on them, even though it's been wheeled a lot. I'm going to look at everything but it does feel like it could be the Grizzly.

I hate these tires more every time I drive it. They are so stinkin' loud and clunky. I know they are pretty expensive, so I assume they are really good in rough terrain.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I had this issue with my CJ5, which is why the title caught my eye in the "recent discussions" box on the sidebar...

I added a cross-piece in my shackles to try to eliminate twist/slop from them being just 2 pieces of steel and 2 bolts. Helped a little.

Bushings were all good, as springs and bushings are newer. 2.5" OME YJ spring sets.

I played with tire pressure, and that showed the most improvement. I am running 32-35psi in my 33" Pro Comp A/T Sport tires. I do know when one gets low, as this shifting gets more pronounced.

It still has it to some extent, but not nearly as much as it did before all of these things.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There's a price to pay for everything.
Aggressive tires, noise and poor road manners, unsprung weight ect.
Lunchbox locker, funky cornering and increased stress and wear

I know what it's like to HATE a set of tires.

Those tires may have decent value to someone who needs them.
Might pay for a good portion of new tires better suited to your needs.

I refuse to suffer through things I dislike.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #13 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I had this issue with my CJ5, which is why the title caught my eye in the "recent discussions" box on the sidebar...

I added a cross-piece in my shackles to try to eliminate twist/slop from them being just 2 pieces of steel and 2 bolts. Helped a little.

Bushings were all good, as springs and bushings are newer. 2.5" OME YJ spring sets.

I played with tire pressure, and that showed the most improvement. I am running 32-35psi in my 33" Pro Comp A/T Sport tires. I do know when one gets low, as this shifting gets more pronounced.

It still has it to some extent, but not nearly as much as it did before all of these things.
The cross piece is interesting. Do you have any pics? Don't go to any trouble. Just asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
There's a price to pay for everything.
Aggressive tires, noise and poor road manners, unsprung weight ect.
Lunchbox locker, funky cornering and increased stress and wear

I know what it's like to HATE a set of tires.

Those tires may have decent value to someone who needs them.
Might pay for a good portion of new tires better suited to your needs.

I refuse to suffer through things I dislike.
Great insight. Everything you say makes sense. This thing has been customized so much, I know several stock/normal things have been removed, and me being new to old Jeeps makes me question things. I've spend a lot of money getting leaks fixes and a parking brake system added but I think tires are next. Thank you very much for your comments. I've read here for a while and very much respect your opinions.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Forgive the welds.. they were welded on the vehicle with poor conditions.

Some shackles have a cross bolt and tube there, but I had scrap metal and a 110v welder.

78 CJ5 302HO, T177/D300, 86 WT 30/44, Aussie F/R

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronScott View Post
The cross piece is interesting. Do you have any pics? Don't go to any trouble. Just asking.

Great insight. Everything you say makes sense. This thing has been customized so much, I know several stock/normal things have been removed, and me being new to old Jeeps makes me question things. I've spend a lot of money getting leaks fixes and a parking brake system added but I think tires are next. Thank you very much for your comments. I've read here for a while and very much respect your opinions.
Thanks. I try to be straight without any B.S.

Now, slowly tailor the Jeep to you.

That's the best thing about Jeeps. Endless possibilities. It's actually fun to work on (mostly)
It's rare to cuss at the engineers and wonder what they were thinking.
Jeeps evolved over many years. Most of the bugs were worked out long ago.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in