Sputtering and dying HELP - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 82 Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 AM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

did you know....if Que calls your house....your jeep will start and run JUST out of respect?
true story.....worked for me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 82 Old 01-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsez View Post
did you know....if Que calls your house....your jeep will start and run JUST out of respect?
true story.....worked for me
It's a Zen thing. LOL

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #48 of 82 Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haha!!! Funny joke!!!

Guess what happened again on my way to Dallas!!!

post #49 of 82 Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNightFox View Post
Haha!!! Funny joke!!!

Guess what happened again on my way to Dallas!!!
Need a Call?

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #50 of 82 Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Need a Call?

Nah I'm good I turned around and took it home then took my other car down to Dallas. Still annoying though. Back to square 1 I guess

I changed out the MAP sensor this time but I can't really test if it fixed it or not because I have to drive long distances in hot weather.
post #51 of 82 Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Nah I'm good I turned around and took it home then took my other car down to Dallas. Still annoying though. Back to square 1 I guess

I changed out the MAP sensor this time but I can't really test if it fixed it or not because I have to drive long distances in hot weather.
Let me know when you're back to troubleshoot it.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #52 of 82 Old 11-08-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure where to start this time. I think the computer might be overheating since it has a layer of dirt on the inside so might try that next

current project is putting the head back on because somehow I popped off the freeze plug on the back of the head while going down the highway and it dumped all the coolant in 10 seconds
post #53 of 82 Old 11-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure where to start this time. I think the computer might be overheating since it has a layer of dirt on the inside so might try that next

current project is putting the head back on because somehow I popped off the freeze plug on the back of the head while going down the highway and it dumped all the coolant in 10 seconds
Let me know when you're ready.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #54 of 82 Old 06-19-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So here it is approaching summer time and it happened AGAIN even after I thought I fixed it (tracing it to I think the fuel rail is vapor locking because my engine runs hot)

I bought one of those fiberglass fuel rail insulator kits and thought that would fix the issue but it did it again on my ride back from an offroading trip

Once again, it started up after sitting for 20 minutes and I drove the rest of the way home.

Well, this Sunday I took it out and parked it at the store, then it wouldn't start back up in the same manner that it was doing when driving on the highway. When turning the key I noticed I wasn't hearing the fuel pump turn on anymore...so... I guess this 3 -year problem finally comes to a close with the death of my fuel pump.

Except today I jumped the fuel pump to +12v and it kicked on, so after some wire testing I found that the relay wasn't getting power. So at this point I decided to unplug the PCM socket and then plug it back in, and surprise surprise - it started working again.

It looks like the PCM was never plugged in all the way so the connections filled with dirt and sand over time. I am going to the store to get terminal cleaner and dielectric grease and I hope this was the issue the whole time and it's not something else.
Siva283 likes this.
post #55 of 82 Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting your fix. Alot of people get it fixed and dissapear and we never know what the actual fix was. I bet within a few years you will have saved alot of people the frustration you just went through just by posting your fix.
post #56 of 82 Old 08-06-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it did it again last weekend. What a joke, this is getting ridiculous

I had friends with me this time and I had them try to start it, the fuel pump kicks on when cranking so it's definitely NOT that now, and that means the crank sensor is also working correctly

I feel like this is just a complicated case of vapor lock at this point. 130 miles one way, it did fine this morning with the engine temp constant at 195. On the way home the temp was floating around 200-220 and it died about 70 miles into the drive.

I have the DEI fiberglass heat wrap kit for the fuel rail. I currently have a 195 thermostat in it, which was a recent addition when I switched to the electric engine fan. It originally had a 180 thermostat and mechanical fan with a stuck clutch so the temp was never above 180 (and subsequently this problem never happened)
post #57 of 82 Old 08-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it did it again last weekend. What a joke, this is getting ridiculous

I had friends with me this time and I had them try to start it, the fuel pump kicks on when cranking so it's definitely NOT that now, and that means the crank sensor is also working correctly

I feel like this is just a complicated case of vapor lock at this point. 130 miles one way, it did fine this morning with the engine temp constant at 195. On the way home the temp was floating around 200-220 and it died about 70 miles into the drive.

I have the DEI fiberglass heat wrap kit for the fuel rail. I currently have a 195 thermostat in it, which was a recent addition when I switched to the electric engine fan. It originally had a 180 thermostat and mechanical fan with a stuck clutch so the temp was never above 180 (and subsequently this problem never happened)
Vapor lock shouldnt be an issue sonce your running 30+ psi at the rail. I havent read back through the whole thread but have you replaced your fuel pump. I had one do this when it would over heat. Never did it on a full tank and only did it on HOT days like over 95 degrees. But it got to the point if it was over 95 degrees and I drove for an hour or more once I got to a half tank it would start acting up. Give it 20ish mins and then it was fine for another hour.
post #58 of 82 Old 08-06-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pump is only 4 years old, it's an inline pump I installed in 2015, as well as an inline fuel filter before it. I changed the fuel filter a few months ago because I thought that was the culprit
post #59 of 82 Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The pump is only 4 years old, it's an inline pump I installed in 2015, as well as an inline fuel filter before it. I changed the fuel filter a few months ago because I thought that was the culprit
I have had 2 pumps go out in under a month. SO going bad in 4 years is not unheard of. There is an easy way to find out. THrow a fuel pressure gauge on there when it does it again. It will also tell you if its vaporlock since if you hit the button if you ddont get liquid fuel its vapor locked. You can get a gauge off amazon to keep in your jeep for like $20. Just a thought. Your issue definitly seems heat related. I also had an alternator that when it got hot and only at RPM the field coil would short and basically take the ground from everything so it made the jeep buck like a horse because it would short kill groud everything shut down then the dhort dissapeared everything powered up it would do this over and overt and over really fast. Give it 20 minutes to cool down and it would be fine again for a few minutes. I have also heard of Crank position sensors cutting out if they get hot enough then when they cool down they work again. ANother thing you can do to check vapr lock is keep a can of canned air for cleaning compputers when it does it. Turn the can upside down so the liquid comes out and spray the rail it will cool it down quick. I have seen this done with crank and cam sensors too.
post #60 of 82 Old 08-06-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a way to test if it's the alternator? the symptoms are similar, it definitely backfires like the ignition shorted out

the alternator is the original one with 177k, and is not wired up to the engine computer since it's from an 89 and not a 94.

Tags
4.0 , starting issue , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in