Sputtering and dying HELP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 82 Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's an aftermarket electric fan, mine was originally belt driven

I have it set to come on at 215 (I think) and the temperature was always slightly over the center notch on my gauge, sometimes further right with all the uphills, sometimes on the right notch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 82 Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNightFox View Post
It's an aftermarket electric fan, mine was originally belt driven
Doesn't matter. The fan should be off above 30. Shut off the switch if it's sustained 30mph

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #18 of 82 Old 06-12-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Doesn't matter. The fan should be off above 30. Shut off the switch if it's sustained 30mph
Okay I'll keep that in mind next time I do a long drive

post #19 of 82 Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM
way_1294
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Off topic, but mine did the same thing i have a 91' yj 2.5 manual after 4 days of buying it for 5 grand it sputtered backfired an then died thought it was out of gas put gas in it still no crank tried putting starter fluid in the intake it would act like it was gonna crank but wouldnt after changing the fuel pump fuel filter regulator had the lines blown out i got fuel up to the rail but still no crank changed the position sensor rotor cap dis cap plugs an wires still no crank bought a new battery an new starter no crank finally i tried the ecu an didnt realize it was impossible to find one supposely there interchangable but ive called ecu rebuild places an they said its not so im confused mine sat up for 6 months or more an ive sunk every dang dollar into this rock
post #20 of 82 Old 06-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by way_1294 View Post
Off topic, but mine did the same thing i have a 91' yj 2.5 manual after 4 days of buying it for 5 grand it sputtered backfired an then died thought it was out of gas put gas in it still no crank tried putting starter fluid in the intake it would act like it was gonna crank but wouldnt after changing the fuel pump fuel filter regulator had the lines blown out i got fuel up to the rail but still no crank changed the position sensor rotor cap dis cap plugs an wires still no crank bought a new battery an new starter no crank finally i tried the ecu an didnt realize it was impossible to find one supposely there interchangable but ive called ecu rebuild places an they said its not so im confused mine sat up for 6 months or more an ive sunk every dang dollar into this rock
Welcome to the forum.

You should really start your own thread. Because your issue is different from the OP's problem on this thread.

Also, punctuation really helps us understand what you're try to say.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #21 of 82 Old 06-14-2016, 12:26 PM
way_1294
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Right, anyway im new didnt know how to create my own so i picked one that Sounds the closet to my problems an posted!! My bad
post #22 of 82 Old 06-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Way 1294 its alright. We really are an inclusive forum. He's just saying that it gets really confusing running 2 different Jeeps on the same thread> if you want help posting up to a new thread of your own just let us know. Serious, Welcome to the forum.
post #23 of 82 Old 06-14-2016, 01:30 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP. Perhaps a bad ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by way_1294 View Post
Right, anyway im new didnt know how to create my own so i picked one that Sounds the closet to my problems an posted!! My bad
Every forum has its own etiquette. Some forums demand never making new threads. This one is friendlier. A new thread for every problem. It's faster and less confusing that way.
post #24 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay quick update, drove to Dalls and it did it again, this time it didn't want to restart at all

What I did notice was that the engine wouldn't be starting at all and then I hear a light buzz from the fuel pump and then it starts, then dies

Which leaves me to believe it was the crank sensor all along

Should I replace the cam sensor while I'm at it?
post #25 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay quick update, drove to Dalls and it did it again, this time it didn't want to restart at all

What I did notice was that the engine wouldn't be starting at all and then I hear a light buzz from the fuel pump and then it starts, then dies

Which leaves me to believe it was the crank sensor all along

Should I replace the cam sensor while I'm at it?
Pm sent. Call me

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #26 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I unplugged the crank sensor and plugged it back in and then it started and ran fine, drove it the rest of the way to Dallas

Wait why do you want me to call you
post #27 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 07:48 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I unplugged the crank sensor and plugged it back in and then it started and ran fine, drove it the rest of the way to Dallas

Wait why do you want me to call you
The fuel pump should probe even if the sensor is bad. You need to look at the cluster and see if the check engine light is coming on immediately when you turn the key on or is it delayed until you hear the fuel pump. If it is delayed then you have an ecu on its way out. It's possible that you have 2 issues but the ecu is well documented. Post back if that's the case.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #28 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
JDNightFox
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The light comes on immediately, fuel pump primes as soon as I turn the key
post #29 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The light comes on immediately, fuel pump primes as soon as I turn the key
Ok. Just making sure. Yes bad crank sensor.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #30 of 82 Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post

Ok. Just making sure. Yes bad crank sensor.
A battery reset will do the same thing and it will get worse quick. Replace it for sure.

Fault codes:

No Start:

Tags
4.0 , starting issue , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in