Speedometer / VSS Wiring - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-13-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer / VSS Wiring

Okay, another one of my zany wiring threads.

I have been wiring up a 95 Dash into my 88YJ. So far I have every gauge working (with lots of help from here!) except for my Speedometer.

My 88 was Mechanical Cable Driven.

I have purchased the VSS Housing/Adapter for a 95 (The guy that bolts to the T-Case).

I have purchased the VSS for a 95 (The guy that bolts into the Housing).
I have purchased a short shaft #30 gear (my old one was a long shaft #30)

I can bolt all this into the T-Case just fine... but there is nothing wired to anything, as my 88 Never had any wiring.

I found a Picture (attached) that states the 3 wires are as follows:

White/Orange Trace - Signal

Black / LB trace - Ground
Orange - 8 Volt Supply

I have read the Signal wire goes to the PCM, then from the PCM to the Gauge. This leads to my first set of questions:
1a) Does the PCM do any translation / calculation for the Gauge? (I have no PCM).
1b) If yes to 1a, is there an adapter much like the Tach Signal Adapter I am using already? If no to 1a, I will just wire it direct to the gauge signal line

I see the Orange wire is an 8 volt supply this leads to the following set of questions:
2a) Is this a constant 8 volts?

2b) Can I just wire a 12 volt supply to a buck converter to step it down to 8 volts and let that fly as the supply?

If nobody knows, I will attempt to wire it directly to the gauge after I get an 8 Volt supply line situated.

This will answer anyone asking if the PCM is "needed" in a YJ for any purpose other than dummy lights, OBD-II diagnostics,and lots of sensor combinations that kill the engine.

Attached Images

88YJtoCJ

White 88 YJ = $2000
Straight 6 = $1200
AX15 = $400
Sagging Springs = Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
A] YJs are OBD1
B] 88 doesn’t have speed input to computer
C] use your 88 speedo
D] the ‘orange’ wire 91-95 that feeds the speedo is merely connected to the VSS signal to ecu
E] I don’t see any reason to cross-trade your cable speedo to electronic? Unless there’s issue(s) with cable clearance from (like in my case) a flat skid mod or something. I need an electro speedo; 91s came with a cable speedo and a drive that included an electronic pickup for the ecu to see
F] the 8 volts is a base voltage- the sensor pulses voltage to the gauge or ecu and both interpret that

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 09:03 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Or install a GPS speedo . Speedhut gauges

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake

post #4 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Perhaps I need to be a little more specific.

My 88YJ was gutted and was a Tub, Engine, Frame, and no wiring, no computers, no ECU, no PCM, no sensors of any kind.

I am rebuilding this from the ground up and put a dash in with all gauges and wiring intact from a 95 YJ. I am using a 95 Speedometer because that is what I have. I had hooked up an old school 70's style speedo on a cable just to have a speedo previously, but it does not fit in the Dash.

Simpler question:

Does the output signal from the VSS to the PCM get "translated/converted" to a different signal before it outputs from the PCM to the Speedometer gauge?

I suppose most people wouldn't test this or know, as they generally don't unhook all the sensors and remove the PCM and attempt to keep all the stock gauges. I will give it a whirl and see what happens.

88YJtoCJ

White 88 YJ = $2000
Straight 6 = $1200
AX15 = $400
post #5 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So I found my own answer, the PCM does translate the signal. I will need one of these:

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd126.htm

88YJtoCJ

White 88 YJ = $2000
Straight 6 = $1200
AX15 = $400
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 06:20 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
88 doesn’t have an electronic speed sensor
paulhead likes this.

Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

fishadventure, the entire harness has been replaced from a donor jeep that was a 95, I have an electronic speed sensor in it now. The dash is 100% pulled from a 95YJ with all gauges and transplanted into my jeep.

Project was an AMC straight 6 with no wiring, an AX15 from a 98, an NP231 from a 96. The only thing in the jeep that is an 88 is the frame, axles and tub. Hence my "zany wiring threads" I have been figuring out how to hook everything up without a PCM or ECU, as I have a Motorcraft Carb and an HEI distributor and there does not need to be any computers involved, except the Signal Converter for the Tachometer signal, and it looks like a signal converter for the VSS.

88YJtoCJ

White 88 YJ = $2000
Straight 6 = $1200
AX15 = $400
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 07:03 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Oh perfect!

So for that original ‘88 5 gauge instrument cluster; it has the hand clock right?

How much would it cost me to have you ship it to me? Actually being serious here. 05661 zip for shipping cost

LOL
The 87 I bought has a 94? harness, drivetrain, frame, and such.
Therefore it has a dumb light but no tick-tok-clock

So I don’t really “need” it but I’d sorta like it (and maybe the idiot light panel piece) if you’ve no other use for them.

Cranking IS turning over
post #9 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don’t have the original cluster. The jeep had been previously abused and pretty well destroyed when I acquired it from a tow company as salvage with a blown motor. I put a flat CJ dash in it for a while with a couple manual gauges, I recently put a YJ dash back in with real wiring harnesses instead of a painless fuse block with crimp connectors to make it “work”.

So I only have a CJ dash with autozone gauges left over.

88YJtoCJ

White 88 YJ = $2000
Straight 6 = $1200
AX15 = $400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in