Speedometer not working...speed sendor? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-05-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Speedometer not working...speed sendor?

The speedometer on my '94 YJ suddenly stopped working yesterday during normal driving, never had any problems prior....only thing I have done is recently changed out the speedometer gear to account for the 33" tires and 4.10 gears.

I checked the harness/plug going into the sensor, it looks fine. I did get a code last night while driving, 15 No vehicle speed sensor signal detected during driving load conditions. Do the speed sensors just "fail", or should I be looking elsewhere?

None
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-05-2019, 05:26 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its it fully "clocked and engaged?

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 23 Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You might have made the same mistake I did and not realized the speedo gear housing needs to be 'clocked' to a certain position depending on the size gear you installed. I chewed up two gears before I got it right.
paulhead likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-07-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Should have added, the speedometer gear was changed over a month ago, and the speedometer had been working fine....sensor is correctly clocked (at least clocked the exact same way as before the swap), and plug is still connected. Speedometer simply stopped working all together while driving the other night, everything else on the dash is fine.

My immediate thought was the speed sensor, considering the sudden nature of the failure, but this is the first time I'm dealing with any sort of speedometer issue.

None
post #5 of 23 Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Should have added, the speedometer gear was changed over a month ago, and the speedometer had been working fine....sensor is correctly clocked (at least clocked the exact same way as before the swap), and plug is still connected. Speedometer simply stopped working all together while driving the other night, everything else on the dash is fine.

My immediate thought was the speed sensor, considering the sudden nature of the failure, but this is the first time I'm dealing with any sort of speedometer issue.
There are 3 different positions the speedo gear housing can be clocked to that is dependent on the number of teeth on the gear. The positions are 26-31 teeth, 32-38 teeth, and 39-41 teeth.

Going from one size to usually affects the clocking. How many teeth were on the old gear and how many on the new gear? If it not clocked correctly, the speedo may work for a while before the plastic teeth get chewed up.

Assuming you are going from your stock gear (27" tires and 3.07 gears) with 31 teeth, to a 35 tooth gear to go with 33's and 4.10 gears, you're going to have to re-clock it and need a new gear if it's chewed up.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #6 of 23 Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitloose06 View Post
There are 3 different positions the speedo gear housing can be clocked to that is dependent on the number of teeth on the gear. The positions are 26-31 teeth, 32-38 teeth, and 39-41 teeth.

Going from one size to usually affects the clocking. How many teeth were on the old gear and how many on the new gear? If it not clocked correctly, the speedo may work for a while before the plastic teeth get chewed up.

Assuming you are going from your stock gear (27" tires and 3.07 gears) with 31 teeth, to a 35 tooth gear to go with 33's and 4.10 gears, you're going to have to re-clock it and need a new gear if it's chewed up.
I was gonna say this but he beat me to it.

Pull it and check the gear you also need to look in and check the sleeve on the main shaft that drives that gear

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had no idea you had to clock the position based on the number of teeth...

post #8 of 23 Old 10-08-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, not quite fixed yet. I reinstalled my original speedometer gear, and left the sensor/sending unit in the same clocked position its always been in, but still no speedometer. I'm curious now if the sensor is bad, and the damaged gear was still able to spin (even with the stripped teeth).

None
post #9 of 23 Old 10-08-2019, 04:29 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

using the damaged gear, put the end in a drill and spin it while the jeep is on and connected.... The speedo should move

SOLD

style intake
post #10 of 23 Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 PM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your profile says you have a SYE. The SYE speedo drive gear in the output shaft is also plastic. It may be stripped as well.
Siva283 likes this.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #11 of 23 Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, that's what happens when you clock it wrong. I have two gears in a box that look just like that.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #12 of 23 Old 10-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bet the gear that that one mates to on the mainshaft is toast.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-10-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Your profile says you have a SYE. The SYE speedo drive gear in the output shaft is also plastic. It may be stripped as well.
Hmmm, this is certainly not what I wanted to hear. I'll try spinning the sensor/gear assembly with it removed, and see if it moves the speedometer. Probably go ahead and check the gear in the SYE while I'm therewith it removed. I honestly can't remember which SYE I'm using, maybe Rugged Ridge, but I assume the internal gear is generic and works with all brands? Is this something easily replaceable?

None
post #14 of 23 Old 10-10-2019, 04:47 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
Hmmm, this is certainly not what I wanted to hear. I'll try spinning the sensor/gear assembly with it removed, and see if it moves the speedometer. Probably go ahead and check the gear in the SYE while I'm therewith it removed. I honestly can't remember which SYE I'm using, maybe Rugged Ridge, but I assume the internal gear is generic and works with all brands? Is this something easily replaceable?
Hopefully your SYE gear is ok, but if it needs to be replaced... Easy if you are mechanical and have some basic good tools, but time consuming, the SYE /T case needs to come apart...

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...-still-695330/

Post #5 second pic shows the gear, its the light blue thing. Unfortunately his pics are ruined by photo bucket.

SOLD

style intake
post #15 of 23 Old 10-12-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I finally had a chance to check the gear, looks like it has some damage st the beginning of the teeth toward the rear of the SYE.

Is it just a matter of puller the SYE housing to replace the gear, or does the entire TC have to be pulled?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in