13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 Old 10-15-2020, 11:24 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerikd15 View Post
Yeah... I'll get into it soon enough to see. I'm sure the gearing isn't 4.10 though. When installing the lift components am I going to have to shim the axles to fix pinion angles as well?
You should be fine with 2.5" in the springs. But if it were going to be required.... it would only be required in the rear with the spring lift you're discussing.

Each jeep is actually different.

I would guess if you did. Not very much. Unfortunately you wouldnt know until you do it.

Am I recalling things oddly or do I not remember OME springs with a shim already pre-attached to the spring packs?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 10-15-2020, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Am I recalling things oddly or do I not remember OME springs with a shim already pre-attached to the spring packs?
I don't know, haven't even started searching yet lol. But I'm guessing I'll need them with the 2.5 springs and .5 inch boomers... I'll see if there are any that have them included...

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #63 of 68 Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Shims are a compromise and I don’t see the point. If you’re doing an 8.8 you’re already putting new perches on: just put them on where you need them. If you’re staying D35 put new perches on.
My opinion anyway

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #64 of 68 Old 10-16-2020, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Shims are a compromise and I don’t see the point. If you’re doing an 8.8 you’re already putting new perches on: just put them on where you need them. If you’re staying D35 put new perches on.
My opinion anyway
Keeping the D35 temporarily so the shims would be needed for now... going to source the 8.8 and get it prepped to swap out. The perches will be properly placed then. Probably going SYE around the same time (hopeefully)
cpia84 likes this.

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #65 of 68 Old 10-16-2020, 09:05 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerikd15 View Post
Keeping the D35 temporarily so the shims would be needed for now... going to source the 8.8 and get it prepped to swap out. The perches will be properly placed then. Probably going SYE around the same time (hopeefully)
Definitely sounds like a good plan. Depending on the application shims arent bad but when installing the 8.8 and already setting perches might as well eliminate the need for the shims.

When doing your SYE I recommend a Super-short SYE kit. The advantage is added rear driveshaft length as well as a better angle.
Awesome likes this.

post #66 of 68 Old 10-16-2020, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Definitely sounds like a good plan. Depending on the application shims arent bad but when installing the 8.8 and already setting perches might as well eliminate the need for the shims.

When doing your SYE I recommend a Super-short SYE kit. The advantage is added rear driveshaft length as well as a better angle.
Thank you. I have been reading up on the super short SYE.... looks like a worthwhile setup...

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #67 of 68 Old 10-16-2020, 01:07 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Shoulda went that route as well.

Life wasnt as green then. *sigh*

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #68 of 68 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, don't bother with the standard-length SYE. It's pointless. The super-short will eliminate a lot of problems later down the road if you want a tummy tuck. And it's not much more than the regular-length version.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in