12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Before i regeared to 4.88s on my stock axles and stock gearing 3.07 getting to 70mph on 33s was almost impossible and could only be done in 4th gear, downhill with a strong breeze. I would look at 4.10s and you will be pleased, especially if it is just an in and around town rig with the occasional beach or trail trip. 33's also brings up a concern if you have the stock Dana 35 rear axle. Look at a 95-01 Ford Explorer 8.8 and you will be set for the long haul.
The goal is to eventually upgrade the axles. Just for more strength and durability. I have some time before the 31's are going to need replaced... probably going to get some axles and fix them up and have them geared and everything before doing the lift and getting the 33's... I'm sure an 8.8 is fine for the rear...not sure how to do the front... was thinking maybe looking for 44's for front and rear...don't need 1 tons...

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 01:02 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerikd15 View Post
The goal is to eventually upgrade the axles. Just for more strength and durability. I have some time before the 31's are going to need replaced... probably going to get some axles and fix them up and have them geared and everything before doing the lift and getting the 33's... I'm sure an 8.8 is fine for the rear...not sure how to do the front... was thinking maybe looking for 44's for front and rear...don't need 1 tons...
If you plan is 33 or 35 inch tires the HP Dana 30 upfront is good. maybe upgrade axle shafts but that would be all I would do. There are enough points to make the Ford 8.8 a superior axle to a Dana 44 rear. The amount of time and money you will spend finding a good or matching pair of Dana 44s to swap in is not worth it. If you find a steal then obviously go for it but I would leave the Dana 30 and upgrade the rear to a Ford 8.8 and enjoy it. Especially since you can easily find 8.8's with 4.10 gears, disc brakes and a Limited Slip Diff. Then doing that all you would have to do is re-gear the front. Saves time and money. If you can weld you can save a lot by doing the axle swap yourself, especially since there is plenty of after market support for the 8.8 axle.

I recommend just do some searching for available Dana 44s and then Ford 8.8s and you will find probably 10 ford axles for every 1 pair if not even more 8.8s. If you prefer aftermarket that is an option but the cost is so much MORE than Junkyard axles. I agree the jump to tons is a lot and really shouldnt be done unless you are going to at least 38/39" tires.

Hope this helps some. Looking forward to the progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It does help for sure.... I didn't know the 8.8 had all that stuff already lol

91 Islander 4.0 Auto

post #49 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 04:39 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

If you are going with 31s, I wouldn't waste time or money on an 8.8 or gears or anything else. The D35 you have will be fine for your use.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #50 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
If you are going with 31s, I wouldn't waste time or money on an 8.8 or gears or anything else. The D35 you have will be fine for your use.
The plan is to go to 33's when the 31's I have wear out....

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #51 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
@cpia84

What years have that setup already?

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #52 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 05:14 PM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
@cpia84

What years have that setup already?
1995-2001 Ford Explorer 8.8 can be found with 4.10 gears, disc brakes and LSD. I do agree with above and if you were to stay with 31s no need to upgrade but for larger tire sizes it would be best if you did.
bruinjeeper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 06:38 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
1995-2001 Ford Explorer 8.8 can be found with 4.10 gears, disc brakes and LSD. I do agree with above and if you were to stay with 31s no need to upgrade but for larger tire sizes it would be best if you did.
to expand your search a bit and offer more options...

The Ford Explorer sport-trac i believe carried those same spec 8.8's up until 2003.

Ford Rangers also have the 8.8, but lesser spline count and not as robust... try to stay away from those.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #54 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 08:09 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

The Ford Explorer sport-trac i believe carried those same spec 8.8's up until 2003.

Ford Rangers also have the 8.8, but lesser spline count and not as robust... try to stay away from those.
can't find my list but I know the sport trac is not always the right version. ranger almost never. 8.8 was used in f150, crown vic, all kinds of stuff but in different widths and spline counts so be aware if buying one already pulled

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #55 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 08:28 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Quote:

can't find my list but I know the sport trac is not always the right version. ranger almost never. 8.8 was used in f150, crown vic, all kinds of stuff but in different widths and spline counts so be aware if buying one already pulled
Sport tracks utilized drums until 2002. 02-05 (end of the 1st gen) have 31 spline and discs. Funny thing is, these axles ACTUALLY have LARGER disc brake rotors than on the standard explorer 8.8. I assume what was left over from the explorers after '01, went to the sport trac in terms of guts and shell... and they improved the braking.

*shrugs*.

As for why the sport tracs never got the disc brakes until after Y2K? I dont ask.

All Ranger 8.8s were drums and 28 spline during this time (aside from the Fx4)

post #56 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just realized this got way off track lol.

OP. Do your lift. Wear out your 31s. With the plan of attack you have, you'll fit the 33s with that same lift.

In the mean time, figure out your gearing and hunt for an 8.8 with 4.10 gearing and to make it easiest... a dana30 with matching 4.10s. If you already have 4.10s, you're already winning the battle.

33s on a 4.0 with 4.10s will be just fine for your purposes.

post #57 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Just realized this got way off track lol.

OP. Do your lift. Wear out your 31s. With the plan of attack you have, you'll fit the 33s with that same lift.

In the mean time, figure out your gearing and hunt for an 8.8 with 4.10 gearing and to make it easiest... a dana30 with matching 4.10s. If you already have 4.10s, you're already winning the battle.

33s on a 4.0 with 4.10s will be just fine for your purposes.
It did drift off a bit lol. Yeah, I don't mind pulling my own axles from salvage yards so when I'm ready I'll grab one... Might try to find the elusive XJ dana30HP with 410's. Or at least a regular Dana30HP then research during refurbishing...

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #58 of 67 Old 10-15-2020, 09:38 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
It did drift off a bit lol. Yeah, I don't mind pulling my own axles from salvage yards so when I'm ready I'll grab one... Might try to find the elusive XJ dana30HP with 410's. Or at least a regular Dana30HP then research during refurbishing...
Your Dana 30 is a HP axle already. I would only swap front axle if you find one with 4.10 gears already. Like @bruinjeeper said before just check your gear ratio. Heck if there is no tag, open up the diff and count teeth. Sounds like you have a good plan. I am looking forward to the progress.

post #59 of 67 Old 10-15-2020, 10:15 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ this.

And as I stated and @cpia84 re-iterated... you may already luck off your HP30 with 4.10s.

Crawl under there, get dirty and find out the gear ratio.
cpia84 likes this.

post #60 of 67 Old 10-15-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah... I'll get into it soon enough to see. I'm sure the gearing isn't 4.10 though. When installing the lift components am I going to have to shim the axles to fix pinion angles as well?

91 Islander 4.0 Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in