SOA or suspension lift? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 67 Old 10-12-2020, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm definately going for quality... I want to do this once and not have to worry about it for a really long time (aside from obvious regular maintenance stuff)

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 10-12-2020, 04:04 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I originally put on the OME springs because I wanted the flex and was really surprised at the ride quality too. Changing out the body mounts made the whole thing quieter and less creaky which also made it seem much smoother.

Almost no one can envision what upgrade paths you may take in the future so chances are there will be re-work and do-overs, or not. My pile is now nothing like I had planned.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 67 Old 10-12-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Almost no one can envision what upgrade paths you may take in the future so chances are there will be re-work and do-overs, or not. My pile is now nothing like I had planned.
I'm sure it'll get tweeked again later, but it'll be a long way out. I'm never going to do Rock crawling so I know not much will change later when it does...

For now going OME 2.5 with 1in booms and a 1in body lift should set me well for a while on 33's...
jbolty likes this.

91 Islander 4.0 Auto

post #34 of 67 Old 10-12-2020, 06:37 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good choice. I'd lessen the boomshackle lift a bit... you may get some unwanted effects on the front end.

But... I like the direction

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 67 Old 10-12-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Good choice. I'd lessen the boomshackle lift a bit... you may get some unwanted effects on the front end.

I hear the shackle should stay as close to factory as possible.... I just wanna clear 33's.... would stock size ones work but I'd have to go bigger on the springs then right?

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #36 of 67 Old 10-12-2020, 08:49 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Arched springs are longer. The eye to eye length is the same, but it's longer along the arch. When it does go flat on flex, the shackle needs to be able to handle the length. When the axle drops, flexes down, a short shackle can flip backwards against the frame and bend the spring. A stock 4" shackle is marginal on a 2.5" lift.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #37 of 67 Old 10-13-2020, 05:29 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerikd15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

I hear the shackle should stay as close to factory as possible.... I just wanna clear 33's.... would stock size ones work but I'd have to go bigger on the springs then right?
I think with a 1" body lift on 2.5" 36R EMU springs on all four corners with no wheeling as you said will be fine.

Did you mean by 1" longer shackles... you want 1" lift out of them? Or just 5" long shackles yielding half an inch? If the latter... than go for it. That will work. Shackles yield half the lift for every inch they are longer than the stock 4" bolt to bolt shackles.

Try in the boomerang fashion if you can.

.5" lift shackles, 1" BL, 2.5" EMU 36R springs on all four corners should clear the 33s without issue. Especially for a street driven rig.

You will have a comfortable driver that is safe with moderate offroad capabilities. And it will look just right too. Your priorities evidently tend to lend themselves to a comfortable ride on pavement... if you match the above with Skyjacker Hydro 7000s shocks. You'll be very happy. 100% confident in that

post #38 of 67 Old 10-13-2020, 05:38 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On my last Jeep I ran 1 inch boom shackles, 1.25 inch Body and 2 inch BDS springs. I have steel rods and ruptured discs in my back and I still think ir rode great only time my back ever hurt was in the rocks.
post #39 of 67 Old 10-13-2020, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I think with a 1" body lift on 2.5" 36R EMU springs on all four corners with no wheeling as you said will be fine.

Did you mean by 1" longer shackles... you want 1" lift out of them? Or just 5" long shackles yielding half an inch? If the latter... than go for it. That will work. Shackles yield half the lift for every inch they are longer than the stock 4" bolt to bolt shackles.

.5" lift shackles, 1" BL, 2.5" EMU 36R springs on all four corners should clear the 33s without issue. Especially for a street driven rig.

You will have a comfortable driver that is safe with moderate offroad capabilities. And it will look just right too. Your priorities evidently tend to lend themselves to a comfortable ride on pavement... if you match the above with Skyjacker Hydro 7000s shocks. You'll be very happy. 100% confident in that
I ran Bilsteins on my last rig and I loved them... I believe they were 5125's.... are skyjackers better?

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #40 of 67 Old 10-13-2020, 12:48 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:

I ran Bilsteins on my last rig and I loved them... I believe they were 5125's.... are skyjackers better?
Skyjackers do have a consensus of being pretty nice soft riding shocks at a bargain.

But you're right..
The 5125s are nice and soft as well. Just... more expensive.

post #41 of 67 Old 10-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You're going to absolutely hate those 33's if you don't regear.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #42 of 67 Old 10-13-2020, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
You're going to absolutely hate those 33's if you don't regear.
she's got 31's now and it's not too bad... I don't even know what gears she has now.... but with 31's she sits at 3k rpms cruising at 70mph going down the freeway

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #43 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 04:22 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

@Awesome raises an excellent point.

But if this will be mainly a putter around town on a beautiful summer weekend day to get Dairy Queen and the occasional trail ride, It will probably be alright.

post #44 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 09:55 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
she's got 31's now and it's not too bad... I don't even know what gears she has now.... but with 31's she sits at 3k rpms cruising at 70mph going down the freeway
Before i regeared to 4.88s on my stock axles and stock gearing 3.07 getting to 70mph on 33s was almost impossible and could only be done in 4th gear, downhill with a strong breeze. I would look at 4.10s and you will be pleased, especially if it is just an in and around town rig with the occasional beach or trail trip. 33's also brings up a concern if you have the stock Dana 35 rear axle. Look at a 95-01 Ford Explorer 8.8 and you will be set for the long haul.

post #45 of 67 Old 10-14-2020, 12:20 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The FI 4.0 will help the OP over your starting point for sure.

OP can you just read the tags if they are still present on your differentials? I know many a time a previous owner never adds them back, but you may be lucky and still have them present.

Disclaimer: if they ARE still present, you might want to change your gear oil before doing anything else lol
cpia84 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in