SOA or suspension lift? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 05:09 AM
11-11-11

Garage
I don't understand the hate for a 2" body lift. My YJ came with one installed (everything else is stock). I initially though "Oh, noes...............'.

But it has been fine. No performance or operational downsides at all in many years of ownership. Great to have the extra clearance between tub and top of frame when working on the vehicle. I run 31s and will likely go to 33s when these tires wear out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 08:19 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11-11-11 View Post
I don't understand the hate for a 2" body lift. My YJ came with one installed (everything else is stock). I initially though "Oh, noes...............'.

But it has been fine. No performance or operational downsides at all in many years of ownership. Great to have the extra clearance between tub and top of frame when working on the vehicle. I run 31s and will likely go to 33s when these tires wear out.
In fairness, there may not be a performance downside to having a 2-3" BL over stock but there will certainly be a significant offroad performance downside as opposed to a 2-3" suspension lift. As always... it's your Jeep so do what you want. Not trying to throw stones at you but the reason for the hate is that most think anything past a 1" body lift looks ridiculous. Then again, most of the Jeep community thinks the square headlights on the YJ look bad and here we are. Me personally... I don't even like seeing the 1" body lift I installed on my Jeep but it was a necessary evil to run a flat skid with my engine/trans combo.
Awesome likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 09:31 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

the problem with a tall body lift is possible instability. The tub mounts are not attached to anything other than sheet metal and longer bolts mean more leverage for side movement. I only have a 1" an nearly all the mounts are at an angle now.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #19 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
he problem with a tall body lift is possible instability. The tub mounts are not attached to anything other than sheet metal and longer bolts mean more leverage for side movement. I only have a 1" an nearly all the mounts are at an angle now.
That's the main downside I hear about them. I'm not going to be doing anything aggressive so I think a 1 inch bl should be fine for my application.

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #20 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 11:00 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

For what you're saying you want I think SOA is way more work than you need. This is a very early incarnation of mine still spring under on 33's. 2" BDS springs, 5/8's boom shackles from MORE and TJ flares.

VS

SOA on long flat springs, stretched wheel base, full width axles on 37's

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #21 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

1: Body lifts look ridiculous and are exponentially easier to spot the taller they are.

2: They raise your COG without ANY performance gain.

I'm with Waternut. The only reason I have a 1" body lift is so I can run the tummy tuck. In my case, there was a performance benefit, so despite the ugly body lift (1" isn't TOO noticeable) I gained a lot of ground clearance. It was about 5" in my case.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #22 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've also been told when doing the body lift to do an engine mount lift to match so the fan fits the shroud. I plan on going to an efan setup at some point though so wasn't sure if I needed to lift the engine or not...

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #23 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you need to lift the engine. Or lower the radiator. You'll blow out the shroud.

By the way:
Ten years ago on 31's

Several weeks ago, on 33's.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #24 of 69 Old 10-11-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Yes, you need to lift the engine. Or lower the radiator. You'll blow out the shroud.
Gotcha...

And very nice rig... 33's look the best on the YJ's...

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #25 of 69 Old 10-12-2020, 04:51 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Quote:

1: Body lifts look ridiculous and are exponentially easier to spot the taller they are.

2: They raise your COG without ANY performance gain.

I'm with Waternut. The only reason I have a 1" body lift is so I can run the tummy tuck. In my case, there was a performance benefit, so despite the ugly body lift (1" isn't TOO noticeable) I gained a lot of ground clearance. It was about 5" in my case.
I wasn’t throwing stones either. However, I dislike a body lift over an inch esthetically. And that’s not the biggest reason. Shorter shifters and the radiator height bother me too.

The main reason I dislike tall body lifts is engineering. The fulcrum effect is exponentially greater as leverage gets longer while body mount diameter stays the same. Further, and partly due to the fulcrum effect, any side loads create movement in the body and eventually the bolt. Repeat stress on the bolts (or even a huge “event”) can lead to them breaking off. But even short of breaking, the stress on the reasonably strong folded/layered sheet metal structure of the body can bend things or stress fracture the body.

While we’re not operating cranes; the engineering principles that let cranes operate are still present in our little jeeps and the length VS bending threshold under various loads does need consideration. While I’m not an engineer I understand a lot of structural principles and once you get a “strong” component moving the failure threshold goes way down in an exponential curve. That’s my basis for disdain of body lifts over an inch.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #26 of 69 Old 10-12-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah. I understand the higher the body lift the more risk. If she wasn't my daily driver I'd just go for a full suspension lift because comfort would be mute compared to offroad ability. But since she's mostly for my commuter I'm trying to achieve more lift but not give up too much street comfort....

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #27 of 69 Old 10-12-2020, 10:17 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

...its fairly simple to do that.

Spend money on quality components.

My SUA springs are 3.5" BDS springs. My shocks are now a hybrid of Bilstein 5100s rear and Bilstein 5125s front. I also spent money on quality bushings and boomerang shackles.

I have zero complaints for an SUA daily driven vehicle.

I'm not sure where the all SUA's ride poorly narrative came from. . . But it sure doesnt have to be that way.

Spend the money once... smile forever. Take the cheap route, this thread will just keep on going lol

These vehicles are OLD. The bright side? Plenty of mistakes have been made and documented on sources like this forum. Do it right, do it once. There's nothing new under the moon, go cheap.... and u'll regret it
jeeepguy, timatoe, jbolty and 1 others like this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #28 of 69 Old 10-12-2020, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
mrerikd15

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

My SUA springs are 3.5" BDS springs. My shocks are now a hybrid of Bilstein 5100s rear and Bilstein 5125s front. I also spent money on quality bushings and boomerang shackles.

I'm not sure where the all SUA's ride poorly narrative came from. . . But it sure doesnt have to be that way.

Spend the money once... smile forever. Take the cheap route, this thread will just keep on going lol

These vehicles are OLD. The bright side? Plenty of mistakes have been made and documented on sources like this forum. Do it right, do it once. There's nothing new under the moon, go cheap.... and u'll regret it

I have only heard that SUA is a poor ride if you go 3 inches or more in just spring lift because the high arch of the spring makes it a stiffer ride.... I've not experienced it personally but would like to not spend the money on the parts to hate the ride.

91 Islander 4.0 Auto
post #29 of 69 Old 10-12-2020, 12:38 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerikd15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

I have only heard that SUA is a poor ride if you go 3 inches or more in just spring lift because the high arch of the spring makes it a stiffer ride.... I've not experienced it personally but would like to not spend the money on the parts to hate the ride.
Less arch generally and in simple scientific practice should yield less stiff of a ride... the mathematics make that simple.

But there are cheap options that come in 1", 1.5", 2.5" where the math doesn't add up. High quality, properly made and adequately priced springs would still in some cases yield a better ride with more arch.

I bet my 3.5" Springs and Shock combo would ride better than say a rough country, procomp or rugged ridge 2.5" lift.

Quality is quality.

Not trying to convince you of anything. You can do as you please. Just wanted some things clarified.

Spring rate, cost, quality are generally all interrelated. Crappy springs are equally crap in spite of the amount of lift they provide or lack... but there is only so far you can push the redline before all the quality in the world cannot over come mathematics.

Happy option has already been provided... a combination lift using OME 2.5" springs as your foundation. Rake up the rest through shackles and/or BL

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #30 of 69 Old 10-12-2020, 01:56 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The other side of all this is that it is 100% subjective. You're not going to get a 'Chevy Malibu on the I-40' ride. So what is bad or worse after that is a personal choice in the tradeoffs, ride vs clearance. One guys 'great' is another guys 'crap'. I'm SOA on RE SOA springs and it's 'ok' considering I can safely do 75+ MPH on the freeway and also climb pretty much any rock I want. The best ride in a Jeep is likely on the stock suspension. Like Dave (bruin) said, don't skimp on quality.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in