Snorkle or stack or what ever its called. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
WindBlown

Snorkle or stack or what ever its called.

Well I think im to the point where my exhaust needs an overhaul so I am wondering if ti be worth my time getting Sa snorkal or stack or whaver you call. ( i am sorry im still learning here) istalled instead and houw much more or less would it be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well exhaust and snorkel are 2 different things. What's wrong with your exhaust?

1994 YJ 4.0L 5 spd.
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
WindBlown

umm well its severely rusted out and theres hole everywhere doubt it will pass air care next year. it's waking up the neighbours because i goto work at 5 in the morning. well if there two different things how much is a snorkel normally? any ideas? maybe ill google it.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

a snorkel is an extension on your intake it keep water out. google ARB safari snorkel. the exhaust stack your prolly thinking of is kinda like the ones that are sometimes fitted to military humvee's. its just an extension of the tail pipe that routes the exhaust over the cab keeping it out of the water. this would probably be unnecessary for a jeep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
post #5 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
sticksnstonesru

Um...yeah. Unless you waterproof the whole engine bay, the snorkel is worthless. Takes a lot more than breathing air to keep the engine running underwater.

Most people I know running snorkels are just posers anyway. The most water they get is local flooding and then you see them here wondering why their jeep doesn't run right after a big rainstorm .

And....yeah...the whole colder air thing from the outside. Whatever. Between the 2.5 and I6 a CAI is not worth the cost. I don't know anyone who truly needs cold air injection for their wheeling purposes.

Save the $350 for an ARB snorkel and get you a nice new set of gears. It'll take you ten times farther up the trail than a snorkel...

1993 YJ | 2.5L 4 banger | 3.5" Superlift | 1" BL | 4.88's | 33" BFG's |

2007 Toyota Tundra Crew-max | 4x2 | 5.7L | Truxedo Tonneau | 20"'s | Leather | Fully debadged

1999 XJ | stock | 4.0
post #6 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

an exhaust stack's only usefulness is if you stall while the tail pipe is under water or plan to turn your jeep off with the tailpipe under water.... either way, both instances are rare... they still happen, but i personally don't think it happens enough to justify the cost for most people.

-Erik <--- saw a local yj with his exhaust coming out at the top of the tub... looked HORRIBLE and looked like a burn hazard

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

post #7 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
WindBlown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster
a snorkel is an extension on your intake it keep water out. google ARB safari snorkel. the exhaust stack your prolly thinking of is kinda like the ones that are sometimes fitted to military humvee's. its just an extension of the tail pipe that routes the exhaust over the cab keeping it out of the water. this would probably be unnecessary for a jeep
yea i was meaning more to get my tail pipe ouut of the water so the air can acaully escape. but if its very rare then maybe its not a good investment but i think the only reason i started on boxing day is i have so many holes in my exhaust system. because i keep getting parked half underwater because the yukon inforn tg fme kep having to get trees taken down to fit.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

unless your new exhaust is 316 ss it will rust too

welcome to the world of steel! even aluminized steel will rust.... as will 304 ss....

when you get your ne exhaust consider painting it with BBQ paint. it will burn off close tot he header and cat, but whatever doesn't burn off will help keep it somewhat protected better than it would be if it was bare metal...

-Erik <--- considers the $75 every 4-5 years for a new exhaust an acceptable maintenance cost

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

post #9 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesru
Um...yeah. Unless you waterproof the whole engine bay, the snorkel is worthless. Takes a lot more than breathing air to keep the engine running underwater.

Most people I know running snorkels are just posers anyway. The most water they get is local flooding and then you see them here wondering why their jeep doesn't run right after a big rainstorm .

And....yeah...the whole colder air thing from the outside. Whatever. Between the 2.5 and I6 a CAI is not worth the cost. I don't know anyone who truly needs cold air injection for their wheeling purposes.

Save the $350 for an ARB snorkel and get you a nice new set of gears. It'll take you ten times farther up the trail than a snorkel...
I disagree to an extent.

For some people, a snorkel is more like cheap insurance against hydrolocking. Granted you may fry some other stuff dunking you nose in too deep but at least you won't have to replace the motor. I know you should "look before you leap" but sometimes a slightly different line through a puddle can have a dire outcome.

As far as needing an ARB, that is probably overkill for all but the most crazy bastards that want to go that deep. A cowl snorkel setup will be plenty for 99% of people to prevent accidental hydrolocking. Actually, moving the stock intake back and centered over the motor will probably be enough for most people but then need to address electronics and extending their vent lines if they like to play in the wet stuff.

As far as cold air intake, I agree, proabably a waste of time unless you run super hot under the hood. Even then, a nice pair of vents will do just fine.

I actually had an ARB snorkel on my XJ. I went as far as to put hood vents and heat shield on the entire intake and it did run a few degrees cooler .... but I didn't notice any more power.

... an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM
pwoens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesru
Most people I know running snorkels are just posers anyway. The most water they get is local flooding and then you see them here wondering why their jeep doesn't run right after a big rainstorm
ouch!!! that one hurts I agree that 96% of the time MY snorkel is worthless but come spring time wheeling around here and runoff as crazy as it can get, I love the fact I dont have to worry about hydro lock anymore from the factory intake being where it is. I agree the $350 can be spent better elsewhere for most people but for me, it was money well spent considering I got it on a trade deal . And as for rain storms....been in one nasty one and numerous little spats with no issues at all.

As for exhaust stacks.....no reason that I see for ever installing one.....unless you want to make an amphibious YJ......very rare to see a stack.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
sticksnstonesru

Hmmm...hydro-locking...yeah, I can agree to that one. Tell you the truth...anything that damn deep isn't going to get either one of my YJ's through it...with or without a snorkel...ever.

If you're going to hit something that might hydrolock your rig, you need more than a snorkel.

1993 YJ | 2.5L 4 banger | 3.5" Superlift | 1" BL | 4.88's | 33" BFG's |

2007 Toyota Tundra Crew-max | 4x2 | 5.7L | Truxedo Tonneau | 20"'s | Leather | Fully debadged

1999 XJ | stock | 4.0
post #12 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
WindBlown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoens
ouch!!! that one hurts I agree that 96% of the time MY snorkel is worthless but come spring time wheeling around here and runoff as crazy as it can get, I love the fact I dont have to worry about hydro lock anymore from the factory intake being where it is. I agree the $350 can be spent better elsewhere for most people but for me, it was money well spent considering I got it on a trade deal . And as for rain storms....been in one nasty one and numerous little spats with no issues at all.

As for exhaust stacks.....no reason that I see for ever installing one.....unless you want to make an amphibious YJ......very rare to see a stack.
Well I have no clue if id want to make it amphibous but i mean if im getting it redone anyway it could save me some cash i wasnt sure.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
dand3053
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
when you get your ne exhaust consider painting it with BBQ paint. it will burn off close tot he header and cat, but whatever doesn't burn off will help keep it somewhat protected better than it would be if it was bare metal...

-Erik

I painted my new manifold with 1500 degree header paint and its still lookin good. Might be worth the couple extra bucks a can over BBQ paint if rust worries you that much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in