Smaller Door Gasket? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-04-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Smaller Door Gasket?

I'm wondering if they have door gaskets in different sizes. I'm not sure why, but my one door sticks out a lot a the bottom. I've tried taking it off and re-aligning it. It is matched pretty good up top on both sides and fits the striker...but then on the bottom, it sticks out quite a bit. I'm thinking that the gasket is either too hard, too big, or doesn't compress enough.

Either that, or I'm wondering if somehow the door is bent. Or maybe the hinge on the tub is bent. It *looks* pretty normal though...and I'm not about to take the part off on the tub because I painted over it.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
How much body work and rust repair has been done? It could be the door openings warped from welding or the body sides buckled and distorted the door openings from rust at body mounts, a and b pillar supports, etc. I know this first hand. LOL.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-07-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
How much body work and rust repair has been done? It could be the door openings warped from welding or the body sides buckled and distorted the door openings from rust at body mounts, a and b pillar supports, etc. I know this first hand. LOL.
Thanks for the response. I don't know about the door. I did a swap on the frame and tub but used existing doors. When installing the frame and tub, I didn't see any evidence of anything that was bent and everything looked good. I stripped the frame and there was zero rust on it. The tub, I didn't strip, but I went over every inch of it and it was in good shape, as far as I could tell.

The door was from the PO and is of unknown origin. The original YJ was a 94 and green. The doors that came with it were half doors and were white...which makes me think it was from another Wrangler. The new tub and frame I got is maybe about a 91 or so.

I'm wondering if the bottom hinge is bent. I measured it and compared it to the passenger side and it is maybe about 1/8" out more.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2020, 08:00 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

A couple of possibilities.
When rubber ages, it gets stiffer, even if it still looks ok.
Aftermarket rubber weatherstrip is often not exact in size or firmness.

We replaced the rubber weatherstrip on a classic Trans Am T-Tops and it was so hard, we couldn't put them on.
The factory rubber was much softer.

Always search for NOS parts before resorting to the aftermarket. Sometimes, there is a boz of new OEM weatherstrip sitting on a shelf somewhere.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2020, 08:51 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Figure out if it's the door or tub with the issues. I'd take the door off (both, and leave them off? ) and use calibrated eyeballs, plywood sheet, levels, etc. to assess the flatness of the door opening. The door latch is at the top of the tub, and that vertical section of a tub doesn't really have anything supporting it (can bend inward/outward). If it's not flat, I'd fab a strut from the roll bar to hold the tub top latch area in the right position.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2020, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Figure out if it's the door or tub with the issues. I'd take the door off (both, and leave them off? ) and use calibrated eyeballs, plywood sheet, levels, etc. to assess the flatness of the door opening. The door latch is at the top of the tub, and that vertical section of a tub doesn't really have anything supporting it (can bend inward/outward). If it's not flat, I'd fab a strut from the roll bar to hold the tub top latch area in the right position.
Thanks for the response. It's not horrible...I mean, the door still closes...it just sticks out on the bottom a bit. I have a metal yardstick that I can use to check for levelness.

I ended up spraying some silicone spray on the rubber seal and it seemed to close a bit better. I'm hoping that maybe the seal may just need to be replaced. I suppose I could take the seal all the way off and see if it closes that way. Hmmm...

Thanks for the ideas!

post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2020, 05:52 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I “fixed” my current door seal issues with a new seal and hinge adjustment.

I fixed another jeep, bottom hinge, with an 8# sledge and a piece of 2x6 to spread the load

If your door seal was installed with that magic 3M weatherstrip adhesive it would be tight to the door and probably not stick out. If the door is “low” overall it (weatherstripping) doesn’t have a place to go - it gets peeled by the sill.

Check those two things and adjustment in any fashion should fix it.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2020, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
If your door seal was installed with that magic 3M weatherstrip adhesive it would be tight to the door and probably not stick out. If the door is “low” overall it (weatherstripping) doesn’t have a place to go - it gets peeled by the sill.
I looked at on my door, the rubber weatherstripping seal is just tacked in place with those christmas tree connector things every couple of inches. There is a part where it sags.

I looked up that 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Is it just like a glue that glues it to the body so it doesn't hang down? I could go out there now and probably cleanly pull it off in about a minute.

After reading your post, I'm thinking that maybe the weatherstrip needs to be replaced and glued. From what I recall though, new aftermarket weatherstripping is like $50 a door!!!

post #9 of 10 Old 09-14-2020, 05:48 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Just be glad you don’t need a new wing window assembly.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 10 Old 10-15-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got around to taking a closer look at this over last weekend. I tried to realign the door by adjusting the hinges and nothing. I got the passenger side lined up really nice. But this driver side, not so much.

I ended up taking an aluminum yardstick that I had and checked the passenger side door. It laid pretty flat across it. I then took it over to the driver side door and the bottom was definitely pushed out a bit.

The doors were white and the Jeep was green, and the tag on the door was a different VIN. Not sure why, but I think the PO picked a pair of doors up somewhere and maybe the one door was bent a bit. Luckily, I didn't pickup a new seal or didn't take the hinge off the body. Just a reminder if anybody is running into this, check to make sure the doors are flat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in